On That Note: We Are ‘3’ Together: Part 2 of 3

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Welcome back to “On That Note,” CF’s weekly hub for music listening, co-hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and me, cyclones500.

This week, we feature part 2 of our annual albums-by-decades series. Post your favorite LPs released in 1983 and/or 1993. Include 3 or 4 sound clips. In addition, we encourage you to expound on why the album is meaningful, such as personal details of your relationship with the record and its music.

Focus is on studio albums. Avoid greatest hits/live LPs/compilations. We’ll allow it, but it should be a definitive element of an artist’s body of work that isn’t otherwise generally available from studio output.

If someone posts an album on your list before you get to it, you still may reference it, but use different song clips.

If you’re more singles-oriented, you may substitute top singles from either of those years.
My top pick for '83 coming in a follow-up post.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
“Murmur”
R.E.M.
April 12, 1983

Starting with this. I expect it to be a popular choice, so I’m limiting to two tracks. No easy task!

My entry point to R.E.M. was “Radio Free Europe,” but I think it was an alternate/single version, not the one that appears on the LP. I had more exposure to “Reckoning” (released in ’84) and the Chronic Town EP before I became immersed in Murmur.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
“Transmissions From the Satellite Heart“
The Flaming Lips
June 22, 1993

In the early '90s, I had encountered reviews of Lips music, but had heard little of it. Purchased the CD on a whim, and it didn't take long to hit heavy rotation.

Whittling to 3, although I could list at least 6 (not even using "She Don't Use Jelly," which is think is among its weakest tracks).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cydar

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
“Murmur”
R.E.M.
April 12, 1983

Starting with this. I expect it to be a popular choice, so I’m limiting to two tracks. No easy task!

My entry point to R.E.M. was “Radio Free Europe,” but I think it was an alternate/single version, not the one that appears on the LP. I had more exposure to “Reckoning” (released in ’84) and the Chronic Town EP before I became immersed in Murmur.

A trip to CA in summer of '83. A decent radio station. And being introduced to REM and this album.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Summer of 93. Flood fighting on Rock Island Arsenal (which is an island in the Mississippi River). 14-16 hour days. Coming home, shower, eat, fall asleep to MTV or VH1. Any time I hear this song I go there in my head.

A couple other gems I remember from the CD...

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Nick Lowe - The Abominable Showman

Catchiest song EVER, that was never a hit and I'll never understand why. (Maybe if released with a video that wasn't so lame.)

Also from the same album: