Once Again Same ol Same ol

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I've watched WBB for at least 57 years. I have observed that 98% of the time the team that comes out on top in conference as well as NCAA championships always has at least one dominating post or several very good ones. Take the Big 12 for instance. Who won the last 12 championships in a row? The team that had posts sitting on the bench that were as good as most of the other teams starters. The team that won last year lost a general that was responsible for all that. She left behind two posts that were drafted in the first round of the WNBA draft and the other post is now starting and playing quite decent I must say, (may even wind up on the all big 12 honor team). She is about 2 inches short for her position but plays like a junk yard dog and thus has been rather effective all year. The new sheriff came into town and inherited 3 WNBA players and at least 2 more very solid 1st or 2nd team all conference players. In spite of the coaching style she still managed by the hair of her chin to eek out a conference championship,but bowed out in the Big 12 tourney and 2nd round of the NCAA. Now the team is stocked with guards and forwards running a pro style modern offense. Results? Well currently 5th place with only 2 games to go and guess who they face tonight in Austin? It will take some "Jesus" help to win that one.

Texas on paper was the best team from the very outset in spite of predictions to the contrary. They had 5 posts!!!! IMO the best one (Moore) is out for the year. But the remaining 4 continue to clog the lanes and pound the paint. Iowa St on the other hand started with 1 post and two 1/2 posts. Currently pretty much down to the half post. Results are inevitable. If Baylor somehow pulls a rabbit out of the hat tonight it will be the upset of the year. I expect TX to all but lock it up tonight. Back to the premise, it's all about posts. Can you win with 5 guards? Not unless they're all cut out of Diana Taurasi cloth. They must hit the three's at a super high percentage to even compete with a team that dominates the paint. So it's the same ol same ol. I realize that there are not 100 superstar posts to pick from every year. But I see too many coaches just willing to settle for 5' 6" guards year after year and using the three bomb strategy. It can be fun to watch at times. But the final results usually leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Ok guys if you've read this far congratulations. I realize I'm still sort of an outsider on this board but I feel like ya'll need a little Southern Influence from time to time. And surely by now ya'll know I root for you constantly. So thanks for not banning me. I sure hated the way the game in Waco turned out this year because it was basically the poorest display of good basketball by both teams I've ever seen. Neither team really deserved to win but somebody had to. I'll probably see some of ya'll in KC.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Should have gotten two of them.

Or 5 of them, like UT has. Well...no need to hoard I guess.

Anyway, point being that a team needs to have a continuous strong post presence to win the Big 12. Considering that injuries are a real thing, probably having just one player who can credibly handle the post is risky business for a team that might want to be Big 12 champ.

Reactions: geewago

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
You are aware BF went out and got a 6'6 post that was averaging a double-double until she tore an ACL right?
If you had fully read the post you would see that I not only acknowledged that but alluded to the losing of the great post as well. Heck I knew her mother. We didn't want that to happen but it comes with the territory sometimes. KSU didn't plan on Lee having to sit out a year either, but they've had to and it has been tough for them.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I've watched WBB for at least 57 years. I have observed that 98% of the time the team that comes out on top in conference as well as NCAA championships always has at least one dominating post or several very good ones. Take the Big 12 for instance. Who won the last 12 championships in a row? The team that had posts sitting on the bench that were as good as most of the other teams starters. The team that won last year lost a general that was responsible for all that. She left behind two posts that were drafted in the first round of the WNBA draft and the other post is now starting and playing quite decent I must say, (may even wind up on the all big 12 honor team). She is about 2 inches short for her position but plays like a junk yard dog and thus has been rather effective all year. The new sheriff came into town and inherited 3 WNBA players and at least 2 more very solid 1st or 2nd team all conference players. In spite of the coaching style she still managed by the hair of her chin to eek out a conference championship,but bowed out in the Big 12 tourney and 2nd round of the NCAA. Now the team is stocked with guards and forwards running a pro style modern offense. Results? Well currently 5th place with only 2 games to go and guess who they face tonight in Austin? It will take some "Jesus" help to win that one.

Texas on paper was the best team from the very outset in spite of predictions to the contrary. They had 5 posts!!!! IMO the best one (Moore) is out for the year. But the remaining 4 continue to clog the lanes and pound the paint. Iowa St on the other hand started with 1 post and two 1/2 posts. Currently pretty much down to the half post. Results are inevitable. If Baylor somehow pulls a rabbit out of the hat tonight it will be the upset of the year. I expect TX to all but lock it up tonight. Back to the premise, it's all about posts. Can you win with 5 guards? Not unless they're all cut out of Diana Taurasi cloth. They must hit the three's at a super high percentage to even compete with a team that dominates the paint. So it's the same ol same ol. I realize that there are not 100 superstar posts to pick from every year. But I see too many coaches just willing to settle for 5' 6" guards year after year and using the three bomb strategy. It can be fun to watch at times. But the final results usually leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Ok guys if you've read this far congratulations. I realize I'm still sort of an outsider on this board but I feel like ya'll need a little Southern Influence from time to time. And surely by now ya'll know I root for you constantly. So thanks for not banning me. I sure hated the way the game in Waco turned out this year because it was basically the poorest display of good basketball by both teams I've ever seen. Neither team really deserved to win but somebody had to. I'll probably see some of ya'll in KC.
You have been viewing WBB for 57 years, you travel widely to watch games (much more frequently than most posters here!), and you have long-time friends who are highly respected coaches if not hall-of-famers.

I'd say that qualifies you to not only be here but your commentary and observations are welcome.

Your piece actually makes me smile because next year Iowa State will have at least one real post and more.

Thanks friend!

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb

Like you stated I thought Texas would win the game and secure first place. I was so glad to see your team win as while I will always root for the Cyclones I have respect for other teams but not Texas. I hope every game they play the face defeat.