Online Courses

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Anybody ever take an online course? I'm thinking about taking Biology online over the summer (along with two other classes), but am unsure of if it's worth it or not.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I took Bio 101 online in the fall. More difficult than I thought it was going to be. I tended to drift off while listening to the online lectures and always ended up putting them off to the last minute so I would have 7 or 8 lectures to watch in a row before the tests. If I did it again, I probably wouldn't do it online (actually I'd pick a different BS elective).

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
The only online course I took was the equivalent to Econ 102. I took it through NICC (was actually through Kirkwood's website). Needless to say it was an easy class. As Sousaclone mentioned it is hard to pay attention to lectures or reading for a class that is online, especially over the summer.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I took that basic Comp Sci course online a few semesters ago. To be honest, I didn't watch the online lectures - I read the textbook, and that was enough. The class was ridiculously easy, though, so that's an important note.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I took that basic Comp Sci course online a few semesters ago. To be honest, I didn't watch the online lectures - I read the textbook, and that was enough. The class was ridiculously easy, though, so that's an important note.
103? I took 103 online last semester (I think online is the only choice) and it was an absolute joke. Didn't open the book and only looked at the slide notes in lecture to get the answers to the homework. Biggest joke class I've taken so far at ISU.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
103? I took 103 online last semester (I think online is the only choice) and it was an absolute joke. Didn't open the book and only looked at the slide notes in lecture to get the answers to the homework. Biggest joke class I've taken so far at ISU.

Yeah, that was it. I shouldn't have even bothered to read the book (except I'm a goody-goody about that stuff). What I loved was that it went over accessing the internet and what a mouse was... but I was taking the course online. :no: It was ridiculous.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
DON'T DO IT. Trust me, experience talking here. If you are even a remote procrastinator, you will be screwed.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
I took Bio 155 last summer online and didn't have any problems. It was easier than sitting through a class. Depends on the course and if you are actually going to stay up with it instead of putting everything off.

yCy

Apr 12, 2006
Our son took a couple of ISU science courses on line about 5 years ago. They were very easy. It was funny that the kids that took the course on line had higher grades than the ones that took it as a regular class. Mrs. yCy

c'mon tank

Feb 4, 2008
Take Bio 173(environmental biology) online with John Pleasants. I am lazy and it still was an easy A. There is about 2.5 hours of lectures every two weeks before the tests.

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
I took econ 101 last summer and it was the easiest class i've ever taken. I will probably take 102 online sometime in the future to fill an elective.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I'm doing my whole M.S. program online right now. I'm 18 credits into it and have really liked it. It's flexible and requires less time but I think I'm actually getting more out of it since it requires me to incorporate what I learn into my teaching and write reflections on it. I'm thinking not all online courses are the same though so it's kind of hit or miss, especially at ISU (I took 2 online courses and they were very different!).

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I am getting a graduate degree completely online, and am taking 3 classes right now. For me, it has been a LOT of work. People tell me that online classes are generally more work, and now that I have almost completed some, I would agree.

The flexibility is great, but I have had a ton of reading, projects, and papers. Procrastination simply isn't an option, and I am a notorious procrastinator.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
ComSci 103 Online, is the easiest class I have ever taken, easier than 6th grade science, easier than high school foods class, easier than middle school P.E. It's a guranteed A and it's worth 4 credits so it's a good GPA booster.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
I took Bio 155 last summer online and didn't have any problems. It was easier than sitting through a class. Depends on the course and if you are actually going to stay up with it instead of putting everything off.

A couple years ago my roommate I both took 155. He took it online while I was in the normal lecture section. It may have just been how it was that semester, but my class sucked. Prof was horrible and I didn't learn anything. My roommate however just had online quizzes he had to take. I also had these quizzes so it seemed to me going to lecture was pointless but attendance was taken via clickers. Looking back, I wish I would have taken it online for sure

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I am getting a graduate degree completely online, and am taking 3 classes right now. For me, it has been a LOT of work. People tell me that online classes are generally more work, and now that I have almost completed some, I would agree.

The flexibility is great, but I have had a ton of reading, projects, and papers. Procrastination simply isn't an option, and I am a notorious procrastinator.
I teach at both the Juco(ground) and Master's Level(online) and I will tell you teaching the online version of material is much more work. I have seen the 'easy' word used in this thread and I think that is highly subjective.

Specifically, online learning requires disipline...and a lot of writing. I have found that getting my master's in both ground and online forums the online version to be much more labor intensive, and I had very little room to "hide".

Best of luck in your decision.

j

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I would try it and see how it goes. Taking 3 of them may be a little too much to chew unless you won't be doing anything else (no work, etc.)

Help Support Us

Become a patron