Only Big 12 Team Left

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
What are your thoughts on Iowa State being the only Big 12 team still playing?

I'm glad it's us, but pretty disappointed in the league's postseason play overall.

Lost in 1st round of NIT:

West Virginia

Lost in NCAA 2nd round:

Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma

Lost in NCAA 3rd round:

Kansas
Texas

Lost in NCAA Sweet Sixteen:

Baylor

After being such a tough league all year long with very good players it really would be sad to not have any Big 12 team left in Final Four/Elite Eight. Hopefully Iowa State will carry the torch dropped by our conference's members.

ZachsterPoke

Jan 4, 2010
It really sucks when the league's arguably two best teams (ISU & Kansas) both are missing one of their key players.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Very disappointing effort but ISU has a chance to represent the conference now. Just win baby!

SammyWild

Mar 3, 2014
First off, in your first group, ou was the only one to not play to their seed. K state, and okie state were both the list seeded teams.

Michigan shoots 50 percent from 3 and they will be very tough to beat for anyone. So I am not going to hate on ut. In fact, if Rick Barnes want their coach, I would think they have an extremely bright future

Kansas was a victim of inadequate guard play, they were using Friencamp, or however you spell that, at point because self did a terrible job of addressing that issue. Embid is a huge loss as well because he was really their only shot blocker. Then you add all the conference protecting them nonsense, which they are done a real disservice by, and it's not shocking they lost.

With Baylor, it's always effort. I didn't see too much of that game, but they looked like they were ready to be done.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I thought WV won their first NIT game.

Nope, they were up 3 on G'town at half and lost by 12.

And then G'town got stomped by FSU in the next round.

It really sucks when the league's arguably two best teams (ISU & Kansas) both are missing one of their key players.

I think this can't be understated. If KU has healthy Embiid I don't think they lose to Stanford.

Baylor did well to get to Sweet Sixteen but played with ZERO heart today against Wisky. OU and OSU has loads of talent and barely showed up against Gonzaga and NDSU. Really thought Lon Kruger is a good enough coach to avoid that upset, but I was wrong. Texas overachieved a little bit, they actually should be proud of how they fought, they ran into an absolute buzzsaw of a team in Michigan who most likely will beat Tenn and get to Elite Eight.

Our loss of Niang SUCKS. A LOT. I credit our team a lot by not losing an ounce of fight, no one would've blamed them for laying down and taking a loss to a program like UNC. ISU has fought this season for JO and now Niang. I think this team really could overcome whatever the next adversity is. They are just warriors.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This is the first time in 64-team tourney era that Iowa State is the final Big 8/Big 12 still alive.

2000: (2) Iowa State was eliminated by (1) MSU in Elite 8 on Saturday; (3) Oklahoma State lost to (5) Florida the next day.
1997: (6) Iowa State was eliminated by (2) UCLA in Sweet 16 on Thursday; (1) Kansas fell to (4) Arizona the next day.
1986: KU advanced to Final Four; ISU lost to N.C. State in Sweet 16.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
The funny part is...I am so damn proud of this team, and their indomitable spirit, and will to overcome, and f'ing grind it out in whatever way they have to...that I want to say it's my favorite team ever, and at present, that's true, but with Fred at the helm, I suspect this is the standard by which future teams will be held...not as a high water mark, but as a price of entry.

And UCONN fans reading this, yes, we don't have any championships, yadda, yadda, but phuck if I wouldn't run into an actual, real life, no bullschitting, kill or be killed war if I had these guys next to me and Fred leading us.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
I expected more of KU, OU for sure. But KU gets a pass (sort of) because of losing Embiid.

OU doesn't get a pass. That's a big letdown. They finished 2nd in conference yet didn't win a game between two tournaments. Yes, these upsets happen, but it still weakens the "best conference in the country" argument.

OSU also weakened that argument, but who is surprised. Smart is overrated and Travis Ford has proven nothing. Not sure how much longer they give the guy, he's won 1 NCAA tournament game in 6 years (his first year).

With Kstate, I'm more upset that we lost to them than I am at their early exit.

Texas did as much as they needed to. Getting back in and winning a game is enough, especially with game #2 being Michigan.

Baylor may have been hot, but we saw how inconsistent and bad they could be previously. Happy with the sweet 16 run.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
...many of the teams weren't really that good. Some decent teams, and some average teams, going at it during the conference season. None were real consistent, and none were all that dominant.

The RPI thing sounds nice, but when there aren't many consistently strong teams, it doesn't matter.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
...many of the teams weren't really that good. Some decent teams, and some average teams, going at it during the conference season. None were real consistent, and none were all that dominant.

The RPI thing sounds nice, but when there aren't many consistently strong teams, it doesn't matter.

FTR, Iowa State was inconsistent too. This team should have challenged for the Big Xii Regular Season Title but only finished tied for 3rd! That was very disappointing to me.

Glad they are playing UP now though.

Let's Go State!

:)

alaCYCLONE

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
FTR, Iowa State was inconsistent too. This team should have challenged for the Big Xii Regular Season Title but only finished tied for 3rd! That was very disappointing to me.

Let's Go State!

alaCYCLONE

FIFY....

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What are your thoughts on Iowa State being the only Big 12 team still playing?

I'm glad it's us, but pretty disappointed in the league's postseason play overall.

Lost in 1st round of NIT:

West Virginia

Lost in NCAA 2nd round:

Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma

Lost in NCAA 3rd round:

Kansas
Texas

Lost in NCAA Sweet Sixteen:

Baylor

After being such a tough league all year long with very good players it really would be sad to not have any Big 12 team left in Final Four/Elite Eight. Hopefully Iowa State will carry the torch dropped by our conference's members.
I care about 1 B12 team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Let's Go State!

alaCYCLONE

I agree with this--I think most importantly, they've been playing with the most tenacity the during this stretch of games, which has led to good play, but also being able to come back/stick around when the shots weren't falling.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Played below their seed expectation: OU and Kansas

Played to their seed expectation: Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas (technically)

Played above their seed expectation: Baylor

We are at the seed expectation now, so one more win and we're with Baylor playing above.

KU and OU really wet the bed, but KU gets a little bit of a pass since they were missing Embid. That was a huge loss.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I never for one second thought OU was going anywhere.

Kansas had trouble with big teams even with the big guy. Ellis does well against undersized teams (ISU) but nothing against big front lines. Without Emblid they are essentially a top lottery pick and a bunch of guys named Joe.

OSU is now something like 0-5 against Gonzanga. I'm no fan of OSU but I actually felt bad for them playing those chippy/dirty Zags.

Nothing that's happened is really that surprising.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron