Oregon's Twist on the Read Option

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Oregon's twist on the read option is awesome. Basically turns it into a triple option with a receiver as a pitch man. What a great short yardage play!

CoachBob

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
Great play, have to catch them in a zone of some sort or the man covering the slot as the force man... If it is pure man to man you lose the pitch man..... Oregon runs so well it is hard to go man to man because the will just run off your edge support... I like the way they run the ball from the spread...

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It felt like that's what our offense would look like if we had a receiver that was halfway close to Thaelen (sp?). Masoli (like Arnaud) isn't terribly accurate, but adequate, and a darn good runner. Blount and LaJames are great running backs, but the thing that really separated it, IMO, was the fact that Oregon always had open receivers who could make guys miss when they had the ball. After watching that game it was really evident what the missing ingredient is for us.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Boise ran a play against Utah? I believe that was cool as hell. It started out as a speed option, but they had the tight end roll off and take a forward, inside pitch once they got outside. The defensive end was allowed to pursue outside, and I think the tight end chipped one of the tackles to force him to go around to the inside before jumping out to take the lateral. Just having that play has to make the defense hesitate as they get to the edge.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Another cool, kinda innovative play I have seen is that option play Florida ran all over Florida State with, the little option with Hernandez basically running a screen in front of Tebow and a pitch man behind.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
that play is great, its especially great when you have corners playing soft zone, or even man if they are backed off the receiver by 7 yards... only way to stop that if the other team has a great qb, is to play up in there face defense and be attacking from time of snap otherwise you cant. oregon has a great weapon in masoli, because he can pass.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Another cool, kinda innovative play I have seen is that option play Florida ran all over Florida State with, the little option with Hernandez basically running a screen in front of Tebow and a pitch man behind.

Shovel/option? If so, its been around for years. Read the D End. If he covers option, throw the shovel. If he takes shovel, pitch the option.

I didn't see the first play mentioned happen last night. Did they run zone read, reading the end, and then the next read went to the DBack, if he came up on QB, throws to Rec, if he covers rec-QB runs.

A HS in Illinois has been doing this stuff for several years and has a clinic on it every spring. Smaller colleges have been doing it as well. Nice to see it working its way into major college football. SOme coaches didn't think it would work with the speed of defenses.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Shovel/option? If so, its been around for years. Read the D End. If he covers option, throw the shovel. If he takes shovel, pitch the option.

Yeah, it's similar to the shovel option, but not many teams have TE like Hernandez thats is a legit threat to run.

I didn't see the first play mentioned happen last night. Did they run zone read, reading the end, and then the next read went to the DBack, if he came up on QB, throws to Rec, if he covers rec-QB runs.

Somehwhat. The first part was exactly like the zone read we run, but they had the off side receiver running behind as a pitch option. The "running side
" reciever was blocking but I wouldn't doubt they have a wrinkle that opens that up for a pass.

A HS in Illinois has been doing this stuff for several years and has a clinic on it every spring. Smaller colleges have been doing it as well. Nice to see it working its way into major college football. SOme coaches didn't think it would work with the speed of defenses.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Stuff like this is the reason I love college football. There are so many styles that each team uses. I like the NFL a lot, but they get so vanilla a lot of the time.
If Georgia Tech can run a true triple option in the ACC, anything is possible.