Oscars

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
crazy. wondered wtf was going on when backstage guys ran out in the background looking super serious.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
So its very rare best director does not get best picture.

I cannot believe they gave him the wrong envelope.. He looked confused, but again playing the odds, it would not have been even noticed because normally they are the same. (Best Director and Best Picture)

First time in 89 years they announced the wrong winner

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Could have saved a lot of heartbreak if Beatty just had said he had the wrong card, cause clearly Emma Stone was not the Best Picture.

That being said, wasn't a big fan of LaLa Land, so happy with the outcome.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
So its very rare best director does not get best picture.

I cannot believe they gave him the wrong envelope.. He looked confused, but again playing the odds, it would not have been even noticed because normally they are the same. (Best Director and Best Picture)

First time in 89 years they announced the wrong winner

It's actually not as rare as you think. Especially since they started doing the preferential ballot for Best Picture.

Since 2010 alone...

2017: Moonlight (Pic), La La Land (Director)
2016: Spotlight (Pic), The Revenant (Director)
2014: 12 Years a Slave (Pic), Gravity (Director)
2013: Argo (Pic), Life of Pi (Director)

• Informative
Reactions: fsanford

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Could have saved a lot of heartbreak if Beatty just had said he had the wrong card, cause clearly Emma Stone was not the Best Picture.

That being said, wasn't a big fan of LaLa Land, so happy with the outcome.

He should have said something. He even looked in the envelope twice for a second card. Then just SHOWED Faye, and she read it. I don't think he was saying she should read it...just to look but she just said La La Land because it was on there under Emma's name (apparently)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Fell asleep and missed the ending.

Was bummed there weren't more of the skits and such, and thought Kimmel basically made fun of people for their awards in the smaller/lesser known categories.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That's what they deserve for turning it into a political agenda. Never watched the oscars, or saw any of the movies.

0CCBHhF.jpg

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
comment on Reddit had the likely mistake. Stone said she had her card the whole time so it's not like they handed hers back out. They think there are two copies of the award cards - one for each side of the stage. Beatty and DiCaprio must have walked in from opposite sides. It's a good system - one card gets handed out, the stagehand or whoever on the other side opens their duplicate to make sure the correct name is called. Somebody didn't open that duplicate card.

Enjoyed LaLa Land so it's sad to see that happen to them. They were pretty classy in handling it. Poor guy had to be so firm about it cause I imagine most of us thought it was some kind of terrible Harvey/Miss Universe joke.

Thought Kimmel was a great host. That bit where he was playing Damon off while presenting was hilarious. "Two-time Academy award winner Ben Affleck and guest."

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Ummm...I'm gonna go out on a limb here but, probably the same reason you did???
Wellllllll, I'm going to go out on a limb & say "Nope". I actually LIKE the Oscars, but didn't watch last night because "Walking Dead" was on. I heard about the best picture kerfluffle and wanted to see what was up.

YOU just opened it to complain.

Reactions: Angie

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
And they posted a live ladies picture in the " In memoriam" section with her dead friends name. Not Oscars best night ever. Oh well everybody makes mistake.