OSU Dual Thread

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Also something to note. A lot of people think 165 is our weakest weight, and it could be. But Flo has new big 12 rankings with Judge ranked 5th in the conference. There is an outside shot we could take a guy to nationals at that weight depending on allocations.
He would provide the same amount of team points if he makes it or not, zero. This is why I take saying NQ with a grain of salt most of the time, and yes I've been guilty of it in the past as well. Good conference, decent weight, good chances of qualifying.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
He would provide the same amount of team points if he makes it or not, zero. This is why I take saying NQ with a grain of salt most of the time, and yes I've been guilty of it in the past as well. Good conference, decent weight, good chances of qualifying.
Regardless, if Iowa State gets 8-10 guys to nationals, that’s massive for the program and to use that to recruit against other programs.

Reactions: CyGold and stuclone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Also something to note. A lot of people think 165 is our weakest weight, and it could be. But Flo has new big 12 rankings with Judge ranked 5th in the conference. There is an outside shot we could take a guy to nationals at that weight depending on allocations.

Have to be careful with Flo rankings. Often times they are way off the other ranking services. I’m pretty sure Flo was the service that had us preseason #3. Also had Broderson ranked #3 at 174 at the start of the season. I like Broderson, and he very well could end up there, but can’t rank a freshman that high, right behind guys like Kemmerer and Massa, can you?

I’m not saying anything other than I find it helpful to look at as many data points as possible.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Have to be careful with Flo rankings. Often times they are way off the other ranking services. I’m pretty sure Flo was the service that had us preseason #3. Also had Broderson ranked #3 at 174 at the start of the season. I like Broderson, and he very well could end up there, but can’t rank a freshman that high, right behind guys like Kemmerer and Massa, can you?

I’m not saying anything other than I find it helpful to look at as many data points as possible.
Preseason rankings had a highly ranked Mackall, Gomez, Degen, and Colbray. You can’t fault flo for them not being on the mat right now when the talent backs up the ranking. And looking back at the December rankings they have Broderson at 14 after not being ranked. He jumped up to 13 the next ranking set. Again he beat Abe Assad last year so the talent justified the ranking at the time.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Regardless, if Iowa State gets 8-10 guys to nationals, that’s massive for the program and to use that to recruit against other programs.
If you listened to the Campbell pod CW did with him recently, he made a point to say things build over time. Jackson drove the program into the ground. It takes time and bumps along the way to right the ship. You’ve first got to get all those guys consistently to the NCAAs. Then you gotta get them to the podium. #trusttheprocess It gets old and we want big tourneys sooner rather than later but there is absolutely no denying progress is being made every year. There’s big days coming. Big big days. Just have to take the steps along the way to get there.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

He might’ve been #3 in big 12 preseason, but he wasn’t #3 nationally.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Preseason rankings had a highly ranked Mackall, Gomez, Degen, and Colbray. You can’t fault flo for them not being on the mat right now when the talent backs up the ranking. And looking back at the December rankings they have Broderson at 14 after not being ranked. He jumped up to 13 the next ranking set. Again he beat Abe Assad last year so the talent justified the ranking at the time.

InterMat and Track had the same information Flo did at the start of the season. Those services had us 8 and 9 respectively. Doesn’t seem like much, but in wrestling, a top 3 team is usually far ahead of a borderline top 10 team.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold and Proton

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
If you listened to the Campbell pod CW did with him recently, he made a point to say things build over time. Jackson drove the program into the ground. It takes time and bumps along the way to right the ship. You’ve first got to get all those guys consistently to the NCAAs. Then you gotta get them to the podium. #trusttheprocess It gets old and we want big tourneys sooner rather than later but there is absolutely no denying progress is being made every year. There’s big days coming. Big big days. Just have to take the steps along the way to get there.
We are in agreement my friend. Which is why I’m saying getting as many guys to nationals right now is a big deal for Iowa State.

Reactions: Exorcyzed and JM4CY

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Worst weight you’ve seen in your life? You’re being dramatic. Malik Heinselman,
Dylan Ragusin and Taylor LaMont are all ranked outside the top 10 and are former World Team members at cadet and junior age levels. LaMont medaled at worlds. All 3 racked up lots of Fargo AA’s and titles - pretty tough to do. Latona is a Super 32 finalist and 2 time Fargo champ. Ragusin just got second at Senior Nationals. That’s a decent tournament where post grad guys can wrestle.
Latona just beat a very tough Camacho 7-4 tonight.

Reactions: stuclone

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
That could be. I know I saw a 3 next to his name before Wartburg, and I thought “Really?”
Were they predicting where he'll be ranked going into his Senior year? Love Julien and believe he could be a legit top 3 guy at some point in his career but would be crazy to have him that high coming into this year.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Were they predicting where he'll be ranked going into his Senior year? Love Julien and believe he could be a legit top 3 guy at some point in his career but would be crazy to have him that high coming into this year.
For reference purposes, I’m not sure even David was ranked 3rd out of the gate after his RS year.

Reactions: HitItHard58

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
This maybe a stupid question, but what are normally the toughest weight classes to recruit "hammers" in? I'm obviously not a recruiting expert or anything.....

Seems like every year there are three or four weights that have 3 to 5 guys that are title contenders and others there may be 1 or 2. And by contenders I mean the separation between the levels of competition.

Just curious what you guys think.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
This maybe a stupid question, but what are normally the toughest weight classes to recruit "hammers" in? I'm obviously not a recruiting expert or anything.....

Seems like every year there are three or four weights that have 3 to 5 guys that are title contenders and others there may be 1 or 2. And by contenders I mean the separation between the levels of competition.

Just curious what you guys think.
A couple of points to this. Lately there have been some “generational” talents in Spencer Lee, Gable, Mark Hall, Zahid Valencia, Nolf, Bo Nickal, Zain Retherford, Daton Fix. These kids had success early making world teams and placing at worlds. Most then went on to dominate in college or are currently head and shoulders better than the rest.
There are a lot of “hammers” at the lighter and middle weights from all over:
PA, Iowa, NJ, CA, Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, etc. It’s easier to recruit and make a kid a stud - see Degen or Parker. It’s hard to recruit good kids at the upper weights because you don’t know what you’re getting. Lots of kids dominated because of physical maturity or complete lack of talent in competition. Seems like there are way more “hit” and “misses” and guys who come out of nowhere to be good in college at 184/197. NC State had a national champ recently at 197 who came out of nowhere to win it. 1 time state champ, wasn’t nationally ranked coming out of high school, hadn’t been an all america prior to senior year. That doesn’t typically happen at lower and middle weights.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
A couple of points to this. Lately there have been some “generational” talents in Spencer Lee, Gable, Mark Hall, Zahid Valencia, Nolf, Bo Nickal, Zain Retherford, Daton Fix. These kids had success early making world teams and placing at worlds. Most then went on to dominate in college or are currently head and shoulders better than the rest.
There are a lot of “hammers” at the lighter and middle weights from all over:
PA, Iowa, NJ, CA, Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, etc. It’s easier to recruit and make a kid a stud - see Degen or Parker. It’s hard to recruit good kids at the upper weights because you don’t know what you’re getting. Lots of kids dominated because of physical maturity or complete lack of talent in competition. Seems like there are way more “hit” and “misses” and guys who come out of nowhere to be good in college at 184/197. NC State had a national champ recently at 197 who came out of nowhere to win it. 1 time state champ, wasn’t nationally ranked coming out of high school, hadn’t been an all america prior to senior year. That doesn’t typically happen at lower and middle weights.

That makes total sense and I hadn't thought of it that way. Thank you!

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG