OSU Gametime - GATEWAY

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Long time user of Gateway Hotel for football weekends. Usually never an issue. We love staying at the same hotel as the team.

They changed their policy this year and want to run the card 3 weeks ahead of the game weekend, or you lose your reservation. Was not an issue for UNI and Iowa that got announced early.

But the OSU game time may not get announced for another week? (or two). If it is a night game at 6 pm, I need to hold the Saturday, but could let Friday go. Reverse that for an 11 am game. I have to let them know by this Friday (3 weeks).

Any thoughts? Anyone else deal with this? I assume that any website that predicts game times is a crapshoot right now since no one knows if we are any good.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
We won’t know the kickoff time by the time you need to know. I’d either find a different hotel or eat the cost. Or just stay an extra day in Ames!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
My parents do this too and I’m thinking it might be an issue for them.

Could you have them hold one night per game and take a chance on the second night? My parents can often get reservations for Friday night without much notice.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Long time user of Gateway Hotel for football weekends. Usually never an issue. We love staying at the same hotel as the team.

They changed their policy this year and want to run the card 3 weeks ahead of the game weekend, or you lose your reservation. Was not an issue for UNI and Iowa that got announced early.

But the OSU game time may not get announced for another week? (or two). If it is a night game at 6 pm, I need to hold the Saturday, but could let Friday go. Reverse that for an 11 am game. I have to let them know by this Friday (3 weeks).

Any thoughts? Anyone else deal with this? I assume that any website that predicts game times is a crapshoot right now since no one knows if we are any good.
This probably the reason for the change.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Kickoff time should be announced Sept 11 unless its a 6 day hold.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
They will get enough people willing to pay for both Friday and Saturday nights to hold the room. They don’t want 1-night stays for home football game weekends, which are their most valuable of the whole year.

• Agree
Reactions: RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Can you still cancel the one night after the card gets run?

I don't think so. Once they run the card this Friday for both nights, I believe it becomes non-refundable.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, guess I will just have to stay both nights regardless of game time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think so. Once they run the card this Friday for both nights, I believe it becomes non-refundable.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, guess I will just have to stay both nights regardless of game time.

One way to look at is if you were planning on the whole weekend maybe you already budgeted for it so it's not a huge financial hit.

Also there's always something to do during the day like walking around the campus etc.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
It 1000% is. They probably saw cancelations and changes happen every year and it ruined their projections, pricing, promotions etc.

3 weeks is a bit much but this is totally self inflicted by the same people complaining about it.
That's too harsh in my opinion. People are always/everywhere (not just in Ames on FB home game weekends) changing their minds about reservations. This is a choice Gateway made, not people who chose to stay/not stay in the past.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
That's too harsh in my opinion. People are always/everywhere (not just in Ames on FB home game weekends) changing their minds about reservations. This is a choice Gateway made, not people who chose to stay/not stay in the past.
yes people change reservations… but being in a college town on a CFB hotels need to create rules around those weekends. OSU (WC one), and IC have 3 night minimums for fancy to everyday hotels.

Good money would be placed on cancellations are at a higher rate in college towns, around CFB weekends (that don’t have minimums) when times of games are announced.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
It 1000% is. They probably saw cancelations and changes happen every year and it ruined their projections, pricing, promotions etc.

3 weeks is a bit much but this is totally self inflicted by the same people complaining about it.
Marriot on Iowa Rivers Landing is a three night minimum on game weekends. OSU (WC one) has two night miminums (they don’t care just two of F,S,S)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
They will get enough people willing to pay for both Friday and Saturday nights to hold the room. They don’t want 1-night stays for home football game weekends, which are their most valuable of the whole year.

I'm surprised they don't just have a 2 night minimum on game weekends so you can't cancel just one night.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu and wxman1

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
yes people change reservations… but being in a college town on a CFB hotels need to create rules around those weekends. OSU (WC one), and IC have 3 night minimums for fancy to everyday hotels.

Good money would be placed on cancellations are at a higher rate in college towns, around CFB weekends (that don’t have minimums) when times of games are announced.
You’re right, although I think it’s more a demand outstrips supply issue. With Gateway being the closest hotel, that alone ups the price. Add in that it’s “nicer” than most others the price hike is a given. and at that point, why not impose stay minimums?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
You’re right, although I think it’s more a demand outstrips supply issue. With Gateway being the closest hotel, that alone ups the price. Add in that it’s “nicer” than most others the price hike is a given. and at that point, why not impose stay minimums?
FTR, we (@ruxCYtable ) lived behind the Gateway… and I hated that walk and location. Nice.. is generous.

In agreement with a stay minimum, but paying ahead is kinda the same thing.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I'm surprised they don't just have a 2 night minimum on game weekends so you can't cancel just one night.

This. 10+ years ago, I had a triathlon in Champaign Illinois the same weekend as an Illini home football game. Even 10 years ago ALL hotels in Champaign/Urbana were 2 night minimums on home football weekends. Ended up staying in a crappy hotel - but I remember the triathlon was fun.