OT: Ames Housing

CHim

Apr 20, 2006
I am planning to transfer to Iowa State next fall and I was wondering what kind of prices there are for rent for off-campus housing. Most prices I have heard are around 400 a month and that includes everything except food. Any info would be very helpful. Thank you.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I am planning to transfer to Iowa State next fall and I was wondering what kind of prices there are for rent for off-campus housing. Most prices I have heard are around 400 a month and that includes everything except food. Any info would be very helpful. Thank you.

Are you looking for a one bedroom or do you have roommates in mind? The prices have gone way down in the last few years with all of the new apartment buildings that have gone up. If you wait until summer you can get an unbelievable deal as landlords start to worry about empty apartments. A year or two ago they had 3-4 year old apartments in West Ames with 4 BR, 2 BA, washer/dryer and basically everything paid for that was going for $800. I'd say if you can hold out for a while, do it.

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
Just depends on how close to campus, how new the building is, and especially how many bedrooms and how many roommates you will have. Will you have roommates?

CHim

Apr 20, 2006
I have some buddies staying in Legacy Tower in Campustown(or somehting like that) and it is 400 per person per month. 4 bed 2 bath.

CHim

Apr 20, 2006
Just depends on how close to campus, how new the building is, and especially how many bedrooms and how many roommates you will have. Will you have roommates?

I had a roomate lined up and they transferred so I need to find all new ones or stay with the other 3 guys.

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
I had a roomate lined up and they transferred so I need to find all new ones or stay with the other 3 guys.

Generally the more roommates the cheaper, but I lived in a 2BR duplex off duff for like 545/mo which was pretty good. It was a very nice subdivision too. Location is a biggy, but I agree with tigershoops31, it would probably be best to hold out til summer when you start seeing the huge savings when the managers are desperate to fill their units.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I'm living with 3 others, and we're only 4 blocks from campus in a house and we're paying $200/person plus utilities. Not a bad gig.