OT - Cutting Cable

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I only have a fire stick2 and a firetv2, the firetv2 box is drastically better than the stick. Can't compare to roku but the remote features would be nice.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Apple TV and it's remote are a game changer. It's fast, it's slick and the remote takes a bit getting used to, but once you figure it out, you'll never want to go back.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Apple TV and it's remote are a game changer. It's fast, it's slick and the remote takes a bit getting used to, but once you figure it out, you'll never want to go back.

I still can't part with my harmony remote. The Apple remote needs to control other things to be all that useful.

• Winner
Reactions: ianoconnor

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Ran into my first problem with YoutubeTV. Trying to catch the Iowa game and they don't seem to have the alternate channels in the lineup. Switched over to the BTN app and it's terrible. Not a huge deal, but kinda annoying that they don't have alternate channels available.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Ran into my first problem with YoutubeTV. Trying to catch the Iowa game and they don't seem to have the alternate channels in the lineup. Switched over to the BTN app and it's terrible. Not a huge deal, but kinda annoying that they don't have alternate channels available.

PA Cue has like 5 BTN alternate channels listed. Every single one is playing App st bs Pedo St.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Use FoxSports2Go app. It has all the BTN games.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Any recommendations for an external antenna? I'm wanting to slap one on the side of my house where the dish used to be. That way it's already wired to all my TV's.

Currently just have one of those cheap flat indoor ones, and it actually works great (can even get ABC if it's hung just right), but I want to be able to watch local HD channels in other rooms.

fattgregg

Dec 5, 2008
ames
Any recommendations for an external antenna? I'm wanting to slap one on the side of my house where the dish used to be. That way it's already wired to all my TV's.

Currently just have one of those cheap flat indoor ones, and it actually works great (can even get ABC if it's hung just right), but I want to be able to watch local HD channels in other rooms.

RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with 70 Mile Range Amazon product

Mounts easily to the dish/directv post, not amplified. I’ve had 0 issues with it.

*apparently amazon links don’t do so well

Reactions: Tailg8er

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I'm sure its been discussed in here but in case it hasn't...

DirecTV Now carries local channels now. It's awesome. No more messing with the antenna.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

DirecTV Now carries local channels now. It's awesome. No more messing with the antenna.
Still only 2 devices at a time though. That's a deal breaker for me. Otherwise it does look good. $5/mo for HBO? How do they do that?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

How is the DVR for DIRECTV now? Last I looked it's only 20 hours, which would be a major downgrade for me, which kind of sucks. But 35/mo is just a great price and the Apple TV throw in is a huge perk.

Quick Apple TV question - In my basement I have a RF universal remote. Would that work with an apple TV? I've been reading online and can't figure it out.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
How is the DVR for DIRECTV now? Last I looked it's only 20 hours, which would be a major downgrade for me, which kind of sucks. But 35/mo is just a great price and the Apple TV throw in is a huge perk.

Quick Apple TV question - In my basement I have a RF universal remote. Would that work with an apple TV? I've been reading online and can't figure it out.

I rarely use the DVR since everything is available on demand.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

Haven't used the DVR. Don't watch too much TV and like cycloneG said it's all on demand now too.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

Winegard Company Compact Video Antenna (HD7000R)
https://goo.gl/YUnmdJ

I'm able to get WOI with this one. The RCA previously mentioned wouldn't pull it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I rarely use the DVR since everything is available on demand.

Didn’t think about that, is it pretty seamless through direct now? The only thing I’d want recorded is sports.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

The base package for DTVnow is $40 and the Apple TV promo ended unles they just started it again yesterday. I don’t use the DTVnow dvr much but there is one annoying thing. When you fast forward, the screen stops and you have no idea when to stop fast forwarding. Have to guess using the time.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron