OT: Jobs in Johnston?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I have a buddy that just graduated and would love to work in Johnston. Anybody work for somewhere that is hiring or know a place hiring? He was a Linguistics major but could learn anything. Super smart guy with a great attitude. I told him I'd ask around where I work but I don't think we're hiring so I thought I'd take a stab here.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
You're talking about Johnston, Iowa, right? Why would he limit himself to one suburb (a residential suburb, at that) instead of the entire greater Des Moines area?

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
Because Johnston is where the cool kids hangout.

Pioneer is expanding sometime this year, I believe.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Linguistics major? Seriously? I don't mean to rip your buddy but why the eff would anyone consider majoring in something completely (almost) useless in the real world?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Linguistics major? Seriously? I don't mean to rip your buddy but why the eff would anyone consider majoring in something completely (almost) useless in the real world?

I'm an English major, and I can't explain myself. hehe.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I'm an English major, and I can't explain myself. hehe.

I really don't mean to sound like a jerk but that's what I'm talking about. Same could be said for a lot of degrees. I can't tell you how many people I know with generic marketing degrees that end up doing call center jobs (etc.) because they really don't have any specific skills to offer.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I really don't mean to sound like a jerk but that's what I'm talking about. Same could be said for a lot of degrees. I can't tell you how many people I know with generic marketing degrees that end up doing call center jobs (etc.) because they really don't have any specific skills to offer.

They have an ability to learn...thats all that degree is in corporate america. Unless you are in IT, engineering, ect, but the Principal's EMC's and other major employers around here dont care what degree you have earned as long as you've earned one.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
They have an ability to learn...thats all that degree is in corporate america. Unless you are in IT, engineering, ect, but the Principal's EMC's and other major employers around here dont care what degree you have earned as long as you've earned one.

That's a great point and I agree.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

In college I wanted to be an english teacher and started as an english/journalism double major. I liked writing for the paper and I worked for a newspaper and radio station in high school. I was decent at it as well and felt confident that's what I wanted to do. Got into teaching a little bit, realized it wasn't for me, also realized I was closest to graduating with an English degree so that's what I did.

As the other guy said, I have an ability to learn, a great attitude about work, and I'll do anything asked of me. I'ved worked in finance for 3 years and I've received high praise from my managers throughout that time. My ability to move in the company is impacted and if I had to do it all over again I'd probably major in Finance or Economics because I have a huge interest in them now and not just in regard to my career. I was never encouraged to learn about that in high school though because I could write and my teachers encouraged me toward that. Thanks guys. :wink:

I wouldn't post about my friend if I didn't feel like he could have similar success. I see him being an asset especially for a company like Pioneer or John Deere because he speaks Chinese and other languages pretty well. Which is where his lingusitics degree is helpful.

Reactions: The_Architect

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
QFT
All jobs require on the job training...it comes down to an ability to learn, not what you have studied. In this case, linguistics can require quite a bit of logic/critical thinking, and may not be very different than programming/software design skills.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

True. Marketing degree and I'm in IT. They could care less.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
If he knows Chinese he should contact Deere, but not limit himself to JD Credit. Tell him to submit his resume online and contact the Ankeny plant. I know they have a couple employees that were hired for the languages they speak (and not to talk to employess).

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Which does him no good if he's only limiting himself to Johnston. I don't mean to be rude, but it is almost comical to limit oneself to a suburb (in general) but even more so when you consider the modest size of the DM metro as a whole.