Otz named to Naismith Late Season Coach of the Year watch list

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
T.J. Otzelberger has been named to the Naismith Coach of the Year Late Season watch list.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
And this might not even be his best year so far coaching Iowa State! If the best coaching means "what the coach does with what he has," then his first year may be his best effort. This year is the "best overall" if you include quality of recruiting and what he does with the players he has.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
If not him I'm hoping for Lamont Paris from South Carolina (picked 14/14 preseason) or Kyle Smith from Washington State (picked 11/12 preseason)
Oh dang, I totally forgot about the South Carolina coach!

tigerclone924

Oct 26, 2009
Sampson’s praise says it all. In 3 seasons, TJ has created a culture that demands an understanding of and an intense desire to execute the defense. When coaches like Sampson call your team the toughest in the country, you know you’re doing something right. My mind always goes to the behind the scenes that results in the product we see on the floor. Imagine the mindset and work required to develop that culture. Certainly fun to watch this team play. It is just as much fun for me to contemplate what the process has been to cultivate this incredible turnaround!

Reactions: NENick and chadly82

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
If Jaimie hasn't already talked contract raise/extension with TJ, I'm guessing those conversations will begin soon.
I doubt he has - and if I am TJ I would say not now. Making Final Four could be worth $1 million/year more than 2nd or 3rd round exit.

I don't think TJ is inclined to head somewhere unless 1 of 2 things happen

1) ISU is stupid and doesn't show him the love with a big but manageable bump. Have him in upper half of Big XII coaches. ($3.5 Mil?)
2) Someone just backs up the Brinks truck and dumps a stupid amount of cash on him - like highest paid coach in MBB cash

The more I think about it, only #1 matters - and Jamie isn't stupid.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And this might not even be his best year so far coaching Iowa State! If the best coaching means "what the coach does with what he has," then his first year may be his best effort. This year is the "best overall" if you include quality of recruiting and what he does with the players he has.

I still think ISU has done well with what they have this season. TJ himself was transparent when talking to an ESPN guy (Fran F.?) about how BRE is not talented but works his tail off and that's what has made him so important**.

And I still wouldn't say they're as athletic overall as a lot of teams they play. They're connected and outplay teams.

Obviously having a team full of dudes would be fun but imo watching a team win by outplaying others is very gratifying.

All that said, setting the tone with making the tourney in '22 and '23 with those groups was quite an achievement even if it had some rough spots.

**I'd love to hear more from players about TJ's brutal honesty impacting them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron