OU: A good match up for ISU?

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
It appears they are reversed from last year...appears to be more guard heavy than post. Advantage ISU? Match ups as of late haven't favored ISU...maybe this one will.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I think it is going to depend on guard play. Our big men should not be an issue. Hopefully Willie Warren wont destroy DG.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
It will be fun to see how Dendy can D up Tiny G.

If OU comes to play... this could be a very long night for us. Heres hoping they look completely past us so we can get a win.

Cystate22

Apr 11, 2006
Reinbeck, Iowa
Didn't play against Tech (ankle)...Suppose to be back for our game.

Of course he will be back for our game. Thats how it works out for us. He will probably drill deep 3's like he did last year in Hilton. Hope our guys can some how pull it out down in Norman, and get this ship going in a positive direction.

Reactions: ajk4st8

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Terrible matchup. Our defense of guards has been bad all year. Especially on 3 point shots.

Fair enough...but that is probably the case in any big 12 game. Only most of the teams we faced recently have had some downright studs in the post as well. OU doesn't appear to be that way. Advantage us...

still gotta take advantage

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Fair enough...but that is probably the case in any big 12 game. Only most of the teams we faced recently have had some downright studs in the post as well. OU doesn't appear to be that way. Advantage us...

still gotta take advantage

How do you feel about Brackins, Dendy and Ham in the game at the same time?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
How do you feel about Brackins, Dendy and Ham in the game at the same time?

Conceptually I like it. I think we've seen it some too. DG at the point and IMO, you can technically play Gilstrap at the 2 if he's healthy.

The issue is, we have faced teams where we have a clear advantage inside but don't exploit it. Why I don't know.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I like Scotty, DG/Colvin/Buck, Gilstrap, Brackins, and Dendy. Scotty can def create his own shot and Dendy is a O-Rebound machine.

I wish Dendy can shoot free throws little better.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Conceptually I like it. I think we've seen it some too. DG at the point and IMO, you can technically play Gilstrap at the 2 if he's healthy.

The issue is, we have faced teams where we have a clear advantage inside but don't exploit it. Why I don't know.

I'm okay with it as long as we don't see a lot of pressure and we can close out on the shooters.

Only we wouldn't be sliding Gilstrap to the 2...We would be using that linup to give Gilstrap a blow...Just rotate the whole frontline...giving everybody a 5 minute(debatable) rest. Assuming no foul trouble too.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

Honestly...I want to see:

Colvin at the 1
Gilstrap/SC at the 2
with Dendy, CB and Ham.

Its asking alot from a frosh...but CC adds some intangibles that we could use right now...

Let the horses run...well sort of:wink:

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I like Scotty, DG/Colvin/Buck, Gilstrap, Brackins, and Dendy. Scotty can def create his own shot and Dendy is a O-Rebound machine.

I wish Dendy can shoot free throws little better.

Not going to happen...no excuses for the rest.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm okay with it as long as we don't see a lot of pressure and we can close out on the shooters.

Only we wouldn't be sliding Gilstrap to the 2...We would be using that linup to give Gilstrap a blow...Just rotate the whole frontline...giving everybody a 5 minute(debatable) rest. Assuming no foul trouble too.

Makes sense. Need to start getting Gilstrap more rest with the cramping issues. Without him, we are screwed.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
But in return, we get very aggressive O-rebound machine and energy player.

Not attacking Dendy's effort...He just flat out can't shoot freethrows. Maybe he should try banking them in.:wink:...but seriously, maybe.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

I agree that we could see some benefits with this lineup. We could have some nice size matchups on offense and it couldn't hurt us with rebounding either. Of course the potential dangers would be as you said, closing out on shooters, or also getting beat up in transition if they go up-tempo against us. However, Dendy and CB are pretty athletic for big guys, so I think it would certainly be a lineup worth trying.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
But in return, we get very aggressive O-rebound machine and energy player.

I'll take that trade more often than not...

Agreed. I was sitting behind some lunatic that was ripping on Dendy every single time he hit the floor. Was screaming for Hamilton to come back in to replace him (even though Hamilton had to be out with foul issues). The guy just would not quit hammering Dendy, completely losing sight of what Dendy brings to this team.

Dendy must absolutely get more consistent on the defensive end (and be smarter there) and hopefully get some improvements in FT shooting.