OU / Florida State

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
it seems the Big 12 has way more players out than the teams they are playing. these are not September rosters out there
…and this is why bowl games aren’t that fun anymore, it’s not September rosters. Plus, this is the narrative the SEC trots out anytime they lose a bowl game. Watch, if K-Stste beats ‘Bama, that’s all they’ll talk about.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
…and this is why bowl games aren’t that fun anymore, it’s not September rosters. Plus, this is the narrative the SEC trots out anytime they lose a bowl game. Watch, if K-Stste beats ‘Bama, that’s all they’ll talk about.
Actually, fans of non-SEC fans use that as an anti-talking point more than fans of SEC teams do. It's become a mantra of sorts.

As for Alabama, Bryce Young and Will Anderson are playing with no opt outs. If they lose, so be it. K-State will have a very nice Sugar Bowl Trophy for their case!

FWIW, Alabama is on a 7 game Bowl winning streak, going for 8!

2015 Cotton Bowl Beat B1G Champion Michigan State
2016 Peach Bowl Beat Pac-12 Champion Washington
2018 Sugar Bowl Beat ACC Champion Clemson
2018 Orange Bowl Beat Big Xii Champion Oklahoma
2020 Citrus Bowl Beat Michigan
2021 Rose Bowl Beat Notre Dame
2021 Cotton Bowl Beat AAC Champion Cincinnati

Roll Tide! Beat the Big Xii Champion Wildcats!

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
They did, I heard them. Was hard to hear over the jazzed up fake crowd noise, but I heard it! :)
I actually thought that was a pretty good crowd for a bowl game, especially compared to the sea of empty seats at most of the other bowls. Didn’t hurt to have Florida State playing in Orlando.

Not saying ESPN didn’t pump in crowd noise, just saying it was a decent enough crowd to make some noise on its own.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I actually thought that was a pretty good crowd for a bowl game, especially compared to the sea of empty seats at most of the other bowls. Didn’t hurt to have Florida State playing in Orlando.

Not saying ESPN didn’t pump in crowd noise, just saying it was a decent enough crowd to make some noise on its own.
FSU always draws well in the Florida Bowls.
That was a cracker-jack game!
A treat to watch.

As for the enhanced noise, I agree. These TV stations need to let the natural noise be heard instead of fake canned or enhanced noise, which takes away from the game to me and hurts my ears. At a minimum, I mute the TV when it happens and somethimes just don't watch the game at all. Their loss. Stupid marketing execs.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldCy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
We tend to look at bowl games in a way that paints the best picture for our conference. To me now, the Sugar Bowl and CFP are the only ones that will tell us much about conference strength.

Texas without Bijan and Overshown was but a skeleton of itself. OU without its starting tailback and both offensive tackles, please. Arkansas down 30 players or whatever. Ole Miss down ten.

But all four CFP teams will play their guts out. And both Alabama and K-State will come with full rosters, sans injuries and transfers. So, those games will give a reasonably clear picture of the B12 v. the SEC and B10 - at least from my perspective.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
We tend to look at bowl games in a way that paints the best picture for our conference. To me now, the Sugar Bowl and CFP are the only ones that will tell us much about conference strength.

Texas without Bijan and Overshown was but a skeleton of itself. OU without its starting tailback and both offensive tackles, please. Arkansas down 30 players or whatever. Ole Miss down ten.

But all four CFP teams will play their guts out. And both Alabama and K-State will come with full rosters, sans injuries and transfers. So, those games will give a reasonably clear picture of the B12 v. the SEC and B10 - at least from my perspective.
If you judge the strength of an entire conference by their top few teams, sure.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
OU lost?
darn-it-shoot.gif

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
These bowls, outside of the CFP, are just a joke. Just a fun trip for the team and fans.... nobody cares about the football really.

• Disagree
Reactions: surly and isucy86

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not a big fan of using wins/losses in bowl games as a measuring stick for conference strength. With opt outs and portal, teams just aren't the same as they were during the regular season.

Also the match-ups aren't always equal. It would be interesting for ESPN to show their same conference win/loss record in bowls if it was adjusted for point spread.

Lastly, I am also convinced conferences (especially Big10 & SEC) manipulate bowl assignments (outside the top games) to give their teams the best match ups. With Big10, somehow it always seems like teams like Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin are always playing bad/average offensive teams.

• Creative
Reactions: surly

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If we use bowl games as indicators, these games are the only ones that matter, that was my point, yes. The rest are truly exhibitions relative to in-season play.
Yeah but they don't indicate the strength of the entire conference, that was my point.

Reactions: surly

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
These bowls, outside of the CFP, are just a joke. Just a fun trip for the team and fans.... nobody cares about the football really.

I would agree that games before Dec 27 are pretty much a joke. But the last couple days have been some great football, once we started seeing 8-4 teams instead of 6 & 7 win teams.

I heard last week that ESPN owns something like 14 bowls games. So many of the games are just a made-for-TV game to fill ESPN's schedule.

I would rather have some great college hoops games during the Dec 18-27 window than bad college football. Surprised we don't see Christmas hoops tournaments in some places like Hawaii, Miami, etc. Heck, have a tournament in Denver or SLC. Mix of skiing & hoops.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
OU and UT are not Big 12 teams, they are property of the $EC.

Big 12 losses are:
Cincy
Baylor
Okie St
UCF
KU

Big 12 wins:
BYU
Houston
Tech

Baylor, OSU, and KU hurt. Outside of K-State getting throttled in the Sugar Bowl and TCU pulling an OU in the CFP. The conference has shown ok.