Outcoached in Every Way

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
First of all, Okie State was not markedly better than us. I think Iowa would beat OSU by 2 touchdowns. They aren't that good.

My biggest concern with the coaching staff is our inability to make adjustments. It seems like every game we get out to a good start, build a little lead, then watch it waste away as the game goes on. There are no adjustments. Nothing.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
My Texas buzz has definitely wore off.......The most disappointing is the secondary/pass defense coaching or lack there of. This game is most squarely on that, IMO. Lord, how many games can this be directly attributed to. 3rd and 20, no problem. This is not an occaisional fluke.....every freaking team we play converts on passing downs. I watched end of Indiana/Michigan and it was similar. The SUCKED on pass defense.....to the point it is the absolute glaring single source of thier failure....that is coaching, philosophy, and recruiting of corners and safeties. I do not know if we had a pass interference today.......we may not have, but that is because our guys were often 15 yards off in thier bend-don't-win soft zone crap. Wally has had a few good games these years, but generally our guys are not in position to make a defensive pass play, they do not make it when other division 1 players would be doing it, and we lose games because of it. Much like getting rid of Mangino, you need to get rid of something that is not a winning component. Wally's defense at this school, with this talent and our competition, is not winning. The soft zone 10 yard cushion is so counter-intuitive and wrong. Of course, we knew this 4 years ago.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
100 yards of total offense in the 2nd after the first half is pretty bad and speaks directly to coaching. I'd have to watch it again to pick out specifics. It's the Iowa game all over again.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
First of all, Okie State was not markedly better than us. I think Iowa would beat OSU by 2 touchdowns. They aren't that good.

My biggest concern with the coaching staff is our inability to make adjustments. It seems like every game we get out to a good start, build a little lead, then watch it waste away as the game goes on. There are no adjustments. Nothing.

Iololol

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So if ISU wins this game and no one is ******** about 9-25. That's my factual point. Ripping on staff after this game is just stupid.

Of course, because winning is the point. They didn't win, there were some clear mistakes by the staff, and the second half was abysmal.

People are frustrated by this and that shouldn't be a surprise and it's not wrong to feel that way.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
We had them stopped on their last possession . Held them on 3rd and 10, with our 3 man rush until the ref makes up a motion penalty and gives them another 3rd down chance. Did you forget that? We did indeed rush more than 4 at times all night usually with bad results.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
That doesn't excuse Wally for his 3rd down play calling. Was begging for him to play tight press coverage and bring the blitz on 3rd and long to force quick throw to player that is covered and brought down quick.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

First of all, Wally did blitz quite a bit tonight. There were many many times where we rushed four or five. It happened more often than the base rush three, that's for sure.

Second, did you see #28 against TCU last week? The reason we held OSU to low output today is because we kept the receivers in front of us. Almost every time that they were able to exploit a one-on-one matchup, they got a long pass completion.

If Wally had blitzed and played press coverage all game, the score would have been 28-17 OSU at the end of the first quarter.

FSD

Jul 5, 2015
Embarrassing second half from our coaches. Not our players, but our coaches.

Totally dominated by Mike Gundy and his staff.

I'm sad that our players are stuck with these guys wearing the headsets. This was a game that our players put themselves in a position to win in the first half, and our coaches did nothing to help them in the second.

Ready for JP to clean house and give us a chance again.

Agree witih bolded comment above. If we're incapable of putting our big boy pants and fire this coaching staff, then the only alternative is to fire the players.......there, it is solved and our problems are over.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think what really frustrates me the most is that people are willing to forgive the loss simply because of the number next to OSU's name and in the same breath completely forget that we should have put this game away. We were the better team on the field today. Coaching decisions are what cost us in the end, that and the most unbelievable string of bad luck I've ever seen. When do we ever get a break on a close call?

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Considering the team led the game for all but 3 min., I don't think the coaches were "out-coached" in any way. Inconsistent execution, plus one bad play call at the worst time was what cost our Cyclones the game. Of course, we all blame the refs anyway.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
Sorry, have to agree here. Lost after halftime adjustments.

The best coaching move was benching Nigel Tribune. He was absolutely TORCHED the entire first half

And I have never seen worse hands on a DB. the last two years he has had a dozen balls fumble off his fingers for certain interceptions

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

First of all, Wally did blitz quite a bit tonight. There were many many times where we rushed four or five. It happened more often than the base rush three, that's for sure.

Second, did you see #28 against TCU last week? The reason we held OSU to low output today is because we kept the receivers in front of us. Almost every time that they were able to exploit a one-on-one matchup, they got a long pass completion.

If Wally had blitzed and played press coverage all game, the score would have been 28-17 OSU at the end of the first quarter.

Your post is dumbererer. Watch the replay. We played a good offensive first half. The defensive end was adequate, but often OSU stopped themselves with bad throws and execution....not our defense. We rushed three much more than blitz...and you make most our points with your assertation that we always keep the players if front of our guys.....as in 3rd and 15 we are 20 yards deep and the completion is made in front of us. Our defensive backs have no situational awareness or football IQ or whatever they have has been brainsmashed out of them by a overbearing coaching staff with XBOX 360 ideas on defense. Our defensive backs do not know how to defend a pass.....they can't intercept it, they can't bat it away when necessary. This is institutional at this point. Tired of it. Pitch and catch is a cliche, but it is a reality for our defense. I am not bashing players.....I wish they had some more height, but that is another regime recruiting problem that we have all should have seen for 4 years or more. The players we have now could play better if coached better.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
So where are all those big 12 caliber depth players you plan to use when rushing every play? Have you not realized the talent drop from the starters to the backups? ISU does not have the bodies to rush every play. And their offense line picked up almost all the late rushes in the 2nd half showing our team was pretty gassed.
Like I said, you are being crybabies