Pac 10 looking at expansion?

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
The Big 10 adds ISU, NU, and Mizzou.

The Pac 10 adds CU, Boise, and BYU.

The Big 12 adds TCU, Houston, Utah, Arkansas, and Rice.

And now I've gone cross-eyed....

Why not just combine the Big 12 and Big 10 straight up, and form the Big 23? Dr. Pepper already sponsors some Big 12 stuff, and they could just revive their "23 flavor" ad campaign from awhile back.

dr-pepper-logo-2.jpg

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I don't see Arkansas leaving the SEC they were the first team to bolt the SWAC and I don't think they go back now

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Uh, seems to me that Texas is supporting the conference as it is - there is no way we'd have any kind of TV contract, much less the conference sponsorships - without Texas.
Tell me, if Texas would leave, what kind of leverage does the Big 12 have at all?

And now for my serious answer. If Texas leaves, we have T. Boone Pickens. :biggrin:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Texas could have gone to the Big 10 or Pac 10 before the Big 12 they didn't they ain't leaving

There was an article that someone has about the Texas schools and how they ended up in the big 12. In the Article, it said that Texas wanted a conference that had good Academics, they looked at the Pac 10, but the Washington and Oregon schools were too far to travel. Same with the Big 10 with Penn State and I think Michigan State. The SEC did not meet Texas' Academic standards plus they are a little slimy over there as well. At the time the Big 8 wanted to expand their TV coverage and hence we got the Texas schools, all 4 of them.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think that CU stays. The Pac-10 has plenty of good options between Utah, BYU, Boise, UNLV, Hawaii, and Fresno State before they get to CU.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
As I said before. Texas used the big8 like a cheap *****. They needed some cred to re-establish themselves. Along the way they permanently attach OU and OSU to themselves, dump the riffraff of the SWAC. Now, whenever they want they can break off take OU, OSU, ATM, TT with them, call Arkansas back into the mix and then pick up whatever they want of remaining fodder from Texas (and Tulsa). ALL the power is with them. In fact, out of the rest of the big8 schools the ONLY one that adds much value to Texas is Missouri, and I doubt even they matter much. Don't look for the bigXII to bend over backwords to keep mizzou as the bigxii IS texas.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
As I said before. Texas used the big8 like a cheap *****. They needed some cred to re-establish themselves. Along the way they permanently attach OU and OSU to themselves, dump the riffraff of the SWAC. Now, whenever they want they can break off take OU, OSU, ATM, TT with them, call Arkansas back into the mix and then pick up whatever they want of remaining fodder from Texas (and Tulsa). ALL the power is with them. In fact, out of the rest of the big8 schools the ONLY one that adds much value to Texas is Missouri, and I doubt even they matter much. Don't look for the bigXII to bend over backwords to keep mizzou as the bigxii IS texas.

As much as I hate to say it: Nebraska?

(sorry, now I have to go wash my mouth with a bar of soap)

and if we include other sports ISU should be in there too.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
As much as I hate to say it: Nebraska?

(sorry, now I have to go wash my mouth with a bar of soap)

and if we include other sports ISU should be in there too.

you are thinking so 10 years ago. What exactly is Nebraska doing for Texas these days??? Missouri adds a TV market. Nebraska doesn't.

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
I am thinking they add BYU and Utah. In BYU its the most "national" program if you will. Utah has 2 BCS berths in football and a tradition filled bball program...

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The Big 10 adds ISU, NU, and Mizzou.

The Pac 10 adds CU, Boise, and BYU.

The Big 12 adds TCU, Houston, Utah, Arkansas, and Rice.

And now I've gone cross-eyed....

TCU won't be added to a big conference. They have trouble getting people to their games when they are a national contender.

I believe it would be so easy for the PAC 10 if they wanted to. They have 3 very viable options in Utah, Boise, and BYU. They just need to decide to do it.

isu200023

Aug 19, 2008
Mizzou to the Bg10
Colorado & Boise to Pac 10
Arkansas and TCU(or Utah or BYU) to the Big 12
USF taking Ark's spot in SEC
ISU holding the bag. The Big 10 is a pipe dream for the Clones.

Last edited:

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
I was thinking about this today...what a lot of people don't realize is that Texas is in a big more tedious of a position than you'd think. In the Big 12 states the population is about 38 million. 20 million in Texas and about 16 in the North. Removing Missouri from the mix takes a big chunk out of the demographics of the Big 12. Missouri's grandstanding could be what the have-nots need to get a fair revenue sharing deal.

To add to my point, if you took the 5 western schools from the Big 11(Illinois, NW, Wisc, MN and Iowa) and add them to the Big 12 North and Colorado State(for a natural rival to Colorado), you would have a conference in states with 40 million and the only other 2 FBS schools in those states would be N. Ill and Air Force. In other words, unlike the current Big 12 it would be the only show in town. Granted thats a pipe dream but the current Big 12 model is not that good.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
TCU won't be added to a big conference. They have trouble getting people to their games when they are a national contender.

I believe it would be so easy for the PAC 10 if they wanted to. They have 3 very viable options in Utah, Boise, and BYU. They just need to decide to do it.

Really? You must have missed this entire last season... :rolleyes: