MLB: Pace of play rules for 2018

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Football takes longer than baseball. You can’t make a baseball game 2 and a half hours. It just won’t happen this day and age unless they get rid of umpires calling balls and strikes. A definitive strike zone every game would make the game go so much faster.

Also, players strike out way more now which causes higher pitch counts and more pitching changes. Advanced metrics/“moneyball” have slowed down the game immensely.

Bull. 50 years ago games were like 90 minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I think they ought to do something like a 6 visit limit, but if the other team sends up a pinch hitter or subs in a pinch runner, the pitching team should be allowed another visit.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
As long as MLB keeps games over 3 hours and blacks out DSM for the Cubs playing in Pittsburgh, the interest and eyeballs will continue to wane.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Bull. 50 years ago games were like 90 minutes.

Lol no. First of all games were never 90 minutes. A little under 2 hours is the shortest average time on record and that was in 1915 with, as stated, no TV (commercials) and when pitchers went the distance (less than 2 pitchers per game on average per team), also there were basically no pinch hitters (less than 1 per team a game) and warm ups between innings were drastically shorter. Good luck changing that now with TV and health related arguments for warming up.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Personally wish they'd implemented the pitch clock as well, some guys are just atrociously slow, but reasonable first steps here.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Lol no. First of all games were never 90 minutes. A little under 2 hours is the shortest average time on record and that was in 1915 with, as stated, no TV (commercials) and when pitchers went the distance (less than 2 pitchers per game on average per team), also there were basically no pinch hitters (less than 1 per team a game) and warm ups between innings were drastically shorter. Good luck changing that now with TV and health related arguments for warming up.

You’re lying to yourself if you don’t think cutting 30 minutes is possible. Games are painfully slow at times.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
As stated before, keep them in the batting box. Your gloves don’t need to adjusted after every pitch, especially when you didn’t even swing the bat.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
You’re lying to yourself if you don’t think cutting 30 minutes is possible. Games are painfully slow at times.

I think it's possible but it would mean giving up ad money and I doubt that's going to happen. Have managers make pitching changes from the duggout and give relief pitchers 5 warm up pitches....make a total time limit/game for mound visits etc etc. But again, that means less/shorter commercial breaks. Is that going to fly?

Also, you'd probably have to forgo a lot of it in September and the postseason.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think it's possible but it would mean giving up ad money and I doubt that's going to happen. Have managers make pitching changes from the duggout and give relief pitchers 5 warm up pitches....make a total time limit/game for mound visits etc etc. But again, that means less/shorter commercial breaks. Is that going to fly?

Also, you'd probably have to forgo a lot of it in September and the postseason.
There are about 300 pitches in the average major league game so a pitch clock could help, especially with some of the more methodical pitchers. Shave off 3 seconds between pitches and you just saved about 15 minutes.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
There are about 300 pitches in the average major league game so a pitch clock could help, especially with some of the more methodical pitchers. Shave off 3 seconds between pitches and you just saved about 15 minutes.

I'd be fine with a pitch clock. I see no reason why it shouldn't be instituted as it should automatically eliminate the human rain delay guys that step out of the batters box incessantly as well.