Paddles in the water

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I like the direct copy and paste from his wiki page on this lol. PJ Fleck is an expert snake oil salesman. I’m not saying he’s a “completely bad person” but it’s clear if you dig into him enough there is plenty not to like. There is no one more important in the world to PJ Fleck than PJ Fleck and I’m glad we don’t have that raging narcissist running the show here!

Speaking of his wiki, I either forgot about or missed this nugget when he was hired at UM:

One of Fleck's first actions as head coach was to rescind scholarship offers to incoming players who had verbally committed to Western Michigan. The withdraws occurred just weeks before the national signing day, and left players unable to arrange other Division I scholarships as slots were already filled at other schools.[17] "I know if it was me, I would be ticked," Fleck said of the players who had scholarship offers pulled. "I also know if it was me, I would have showed up in the office of the head football coach, telling him I was dying to still be here."

Contrast with Campbell (and Rhoads before him) who went to work reaffirming commitments of high school seniors whose football-related worlds could've easily been turned upside down with a coaching staff change. According to 24/7, of guys still on the roster, a handful were committed before Campbell & Co. rolled into town. Some players probably de-committed, as they also had a little bit more time to find a new school. I remember two of the first phone calls Rhoads made as HC were to Josh Lenz and AJ Klein to make sure they knew they were still wanted in Ames and to ensure he was building relationships with them from day one. Both became true freshman starters on special teams and 3+ years at LB & WR.

Reactions: cyclonenation5

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I’m pretty sure the point of this news story was to fabricate some dirt on PJF. Somebody doesn’t like the guy and must want him fired.
Yeah guys have career ending injuries. Yeah good teams— especially developmental programs— have some wicked hard practices.
Some of those stories were very unfortunate but they don’t even bother to get PJF to defend his actions.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Yikes, are all B1G schools blind to what is happening in their programs? Penn St, Michigan St, Iowa, and now Minn. I am probably missing more as I pay little attention to that conference.

Don't forget Nebby. Moos and Frost letting their fanbase believe they are getting better is almost a crime in my book. Aren't there laws in Nebraska against abuse of the mentally challenged?

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
It's the B1G. It is not a problem with the conference or the schools. It is other actors (fans, media, politicians, etc) that are the problem. If they would stop trying to make waves and disrupt the order, this wouldn't be an issue.

I see, blame everyone but the parties directly involved?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Um, 70 players from Fleck's program attained academic all-Big Ten last year. That's SEVENTY.
ISU had a conference-high 44 in the Big 12.
Yeah, some "bad culture" he's got up there...

I'll go with they have a good staff of "tutors" rather than that smart of team.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I'll go with they have a good staff of "tutors" rather than that smart of team.

Ehh....I was leaning toward the Big 12 has a higher standard for academic all-conference honors. Both conferences require a 3.0 GPA (I think 3.2 for first team) and that the athlete has been enrolled & on the team for at least 12 months. The Big 12 also requires that the athlete has participated in at least 20% of scheduled contests for the year of the award.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Ehh....I was leaning toward the Big 12 has a higher standard for academic all-conference honors. Both conferences require a 3.0 GPA (I think 3.2 for first team) and that the athlete has been enrolled & on the team for at least 12 months. The Big 12 also requires that the athlete has participated in at least 20% of scheduled contests for the year of the award.
Kinda think getting a 3.0 in Big Ten school might be a little tougher than a Big 12 school? Just sayin...

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Kinda think getting a 3.0 in Big Ten school might be a little tougher than a Big 12 school? Just sayin...

This is the most ridiculous thing that is perpetuated by so many. Standards are completely inconsistent across schools and classes - let alone professors. And do you think star football and basketball players are held to the same standards as a non-athlete? GTFO.

• Agree
Reactions: zcecsch

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This is the most ridiculous thing that is perpetuated by so many. Standards are completely inconsistent across schools and classes - let alone professors. And do you think star football and basketball players are held to the same standards as a non-athlete? GTFO.
You missed my point - I was responding to a post trying to minimize that 70 of Fleck's players attained to 3.0 or better last year. That's a tremendous accomplishment - just as ISU's 44 are.
And are you insinuating that a professor would apply a different standard to a star athlete in his class, as opposed to a non-athlete? At ISU? Or Minn? No faculty that I know.
Give me a break.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
And are you insinuating that a professor would apply a different standard to a star athlete in his class, as opposed to a non-athlete? At ISU? Or Minn? No faculty that I know.
Give me a break.

Both - and it's not an insinuation, it's a fact. You've heard of what happened at North Carolina right? If you don't think this happens regularly within NCAA sports, there's really no point discussing it.

Your statement was "Kinda think getting a 3.0 in Big Ten school might be a little tougher than a Big 12 school". So you're stating that Big Ten schools academics are tougher - which is a completely ridiculous statement, especially when attributed to student athletes. What I am saying is that it's meaningless and completely misleading to make broad comparisons and make statements like the one you made.