Paddy's remodel

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
When it comes to a bar for the weekends past 10:00, nobody wants to be in a scummy, poorly-lit tavern with 75% dudes. That's Paddy's.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I can guarantee that it doesnt take that long to get a drink. I mean if you feel like you could do better behind the bar anywhere then might as well get into the business?

I don't think I've seen a popped collar in over 7 years.

Are you talking about the same place? If you can get a drink at Yokes in under a half hour without being female, good for you.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Unfortunately to top this, Lumpy's bathroom was the end of the my 21st birthday party. Nice staff though, they kindly asked my buddies to get me out of their establishment.

In reality though, granted some of you may not remember Cy's Roost, but Cy's Roost and Welch Ave Station were staples for classy place.....er until Cy's got into a little trouble for selling to minors. But they were always some what quiet, and clean (for a bar).

Yeah, Cys used to be nice. It wasn't fancy by any means but it had character. Then they remodeled and moved the bar and removed the booths. And that remodel lasted about a year before it was trashed. Last time I was there it was sort of a dance club, which is about as anti Cys as you could get. Now it's a ********. IMO losing People's and the old Cys was a major hit to campustown. Of course I would qualify as an old guy now, so I probably don't know anything about these matters.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah, Cys used to be nice. It wasn't fancy by any means but it had character.

100% agree. It was kind of like a Tip/Top of Campustown.
First night they reopened, I was pretty close to first in line then walked in and was like WTF is this? Turrible remodel.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Campustown really needs a bar that is decked floor to ceiling with Cyclone Memorabilia. Get on it Cydude.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah, Cys used to be nice. It wasn't fancy by any means but it had character. Then they remodeled and moved the bar and removed the booths. And that remodel lasted about a year before it was trashed. Last time I was there it was sort of a dance club, which is about as anti Cys as you could get. Now it's a ********. IMO losing People's and the old Cys was a major hit to campustown. Of course I would qualify as an old guy now, so I probably don't know anything about these matters.

Completely agree. Nobody has FAC anymore, and I've asked around to other bars who said it all ended when Peoples closed. There used to be a line at Peoples and other places by 5 on Fridays. I've recently walked into some Campustown bars on a Friday around 4pm, being the only one in the bar. Shameful.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Completely agree. Nobody has FAC anymore, and I've asked around to other bars who said it all ended when Peoples closed. There used to be a line at Peoples and other places by 5 on Fridays. I've recently walked into some Campustown bars on a Friday around 4pm, being the only one in the bar. Shameful.
This is wrong.

Welch Ave $4 pitchers of PBR, Es Tas tons of shot specials on top of their usual beer specials, Paddy's is open pretty sure but I never went to that, Cy's has free Papa John's, Cafe B doing their usual thing. All open for FAC. Can't forget Mother's or Thumb's either.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
Yoke's gets a big crowd because it is the nicest bar in Campustown. It has space, and a ceiling taller than 7 feet, and loud music, and is easy to lose yourself, and the bathrooms are nice, and the people party.

I thought most of the popped collars were at Cy's? Yoke's seems to have a decent mix.

Don't get me wrong, Yoke's isn't great. But it's the best hotspot Campustown has had in years.

Boom!

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Yoke's gets a big crowd because it is the nicest bar in Campustown. It has space, and a ceiling taller than 7 feet, and loud music, and is easy to lose yourself, and the bathrooms are nice, and the people party.

I thought most of the popped collars were at Cy's? Yoke's seems to have a decent mix.

Don't get me wrong, Yoke's isn't great. But it's the best hotspot Campustown has had in years.
This is pretty much spot on. It's the standard for when you think of a college bar, pretty much. I think I've just gotten washed out on Yokes.

I've never been much of a regular at Cy's so I can't attest to that.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
So, where do you go?
This summer it's been Es Tas, AJ's, Mother's. Welch Ave on pint night. Occasionally Mickey's on Tuesdays for the Karaoke deals or mug night.

I do go to Yoke's a fair amount of the time just because my friends are there, but the environment has started to lose its draw for me because I went there a lot during the school year.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
This summer it's been Es Tas, AJ's, Mother's. Welch Ave on pint night. Occasionally Mickey's on Tuesdays for the Karaoke deals or mug night.

I do go to Yoke's a fair amount of the time just because my friends are there, but the environment has started to lose its draw for me because I went there a lot during the school year.

So, I always hear people talking about Aj's. Every time I go there, the place is empty, yet that seems to be the place to go if people don't go to Yokes...

Strange.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
So, I always hear people talking about Aj's. Every time I go there, the place is empty, yet that seems to be the place to go if people don't go to Yokes...

Strange.
Generally people go there earlier in the night to essentially pregame Yokes, at least that's what a lot of my friends typically do. It's super cheap. The patio has been a really nice addition this summer as well.