Jun 20, 2006
7 min mark it starts

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Iowa State gets a single mention. The rest of the time is talking about UNI. It's mainly a segment about mid-majors. Not worth your time if you're looking for ISU news

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Listened to it earlier. Palm presents an argument that if WSU doesn't beat UNI Saturday or in the MWC conference they shouldn't even get a at large bid due to their poor schedule. UNI is their only chance to have a win against a tourney team this year unless Tulsa makes it (which isn't a lock) Saturday looms as large opportunity for the Shockers at large bid.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing WSU getting left out by the committee as year long top 25 team that was in the Final Four 2 years ago, and a regional 1 seed last year but there is a case.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Kinda rooting for UNI to sweep WSU... and for WSU not making the tourney.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I thought it was interesting towards the end they shred Murray State for for being 24-4 with no quality wins, but early in the podcast they basically gave credit to Wichita for a win over UNI they don't even have yet (and probably won't get). Beating UNI would be Wichita's only good win, voters are giving them too much benefit of the doubt simply for VanVleet and Baker being on their roster.

Either way after this weekend one of them will still be ahead of us in the polls, I hope it's UNI and that they clobber Wichita (again).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They kind of dance around it but at least they acknowledge that everyone is ranking WSU nearly top 10 before they get a quality win.

To me even if WSU/UNI trade blows here, neither really has that much to prove anything. When in doubt let the tournament be the proving ground with a good (4-5) but not excellent (2-3) seed.

If UNI wins two more against WSU in impressive fashion you can't really ignore that and they are definitely in 2 seed discussion...so far they won a home game against a team that's a gigantic question mark. I don't think WSU can play their way to even a 3 seed though...what will they point to? 1 or 2 decent wins?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It will be interesting to see what happens to Wichita, and to a lesser extent UNI, if they lose on Saturday. Everything about their ranking and projected seeding is based on the assumption that they will split this series. If Wichita loses, they really should drop like a rock. If UNI loses, I assume everything will more or less stay the same.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Listened to it earlier. Palm presents an argument that if WSU doesn't beat UNI Saturday or in the MWC conference they shouldn't even get a at large bid due to their poor schedule. UNI is their only chance to have a win against a tourney team this year unless Tulsa makes it (which isn't a lock) Saturday looms as large opportunity for the Shockers at large bid.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing WSU getting left out by the committee as year long top 25 team that was in the Final Four 2 years ago, and a regional 1 seed last year but there is a case.

I don't think you should get benefits in the current year based on past years.

I don't think Wichita State necessarily deserves an at large bid, but the bubble is bad, so they'll get in by default. If they can beat UNI, then they at least have a good win.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
They kind of dance around it but at least they acknowledge that everyone is ranking WSU nearly top 10 before they get a quality win.

To me even if WSU/UNI trade blows here, neither really has that much to prove anything. When in doubt let the tournament be the proving ground with a good (4-5) but not excellent (2-3) seed.

If UNI wins two more against WSU in impressive fashion you can't really ignore that and they are definitely in 2 seed discussion...so far they won a home game against a team that's a gigantic question mark. I don't think WSU can play their way to even a 3 seed though...what will they point to? 1 or 2 decent wins?

If UNI beats WSU 2 more times in impressive fashion all you have is a UNI team with 3 supposedly quality wins against a team that has never proven that they are a quality team. WSU has zero quality wins. What they do have is a little history from previous years success that they are riding the wave from.

Ultimately when you have voters that are complete morons and base their ranking of a team (probably having not seen them play a single game this year) off of what that team did 3 years and then looking at their record this year and assuming they must be good.... Well you get these ranking like WSU has this year that make absolutely no sense.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
WSU could easily lose to the "other" ISU tonight. they're on the road and only up 1 with a few minutes left. wonder how much they'd drop even if they beat UNI...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If Wichita State played like they are tonight, there is a 99% chance they go 0-10 on the road vs a hypothetical Big 12 schedule.

Indiana State has dribbled the ball out of bounds off their own foot THREE TIMES just in the few times I've flipped to this game. They look absolutely horrible and they are staying with WSU.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
IMO, if WSU loses again to UNI on Saturday, then they should drop out of the top 25.

If WSU loses a 3rd time to UNI in the MVC tourney, then they shouldn't make the NCAA tourney either IMO. At some point you have to at least beat someone. Now some of these smaller schools that make the tourney by winning their conference tournament don't have any good wins either, but they don't play anyone at all.

WSU at least will probably play UNI 3 times, so they will have had 3 chances at a good win, and lost every time.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
IMO, if WSU loses again to UNI on Saturday, then they should drop out of the top 25.

If WSU loses a 3rd time to UNI in the MVC tourney, then they shouldn't make the NCAA tourney either IMO. At some point you have to at least beat someone. Now some of these smaller schools that make the tourney by winning their conference tournament don't have any good wins either, but they don't play anyone at all.

WSU at least will probably play UNI 3 times, so they will have had 3 chances at a good win, and lost every time.

Guys on that podcast made a point that if WSU doesn't beat UNI there's a chance they would have to be only the second at large team in history with no wins against the tournament field.