Panthers fire head coach (Baylor) Matt Rhule

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC

Hiring One hit college wonder boys doesn't seem to work, particularly when offense is required. Under Rhule, the Panthers have lost 25 straight games in which they've allowed at least 17 points. Carolina is 1-27 when allowing 17 or more points under Rhule.

• Wow
Reactions: cycophagus

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'm not as sure as some people that he's such a sure thing for a big college job.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Seems like he was, and probably still could be a decent college head coach. Relatively young still. Kind of reminds me of a Greg Schiano type of situation. I never quite understood the appeal, as he inherited a tumultuous--but still very talented--situation in Waco. Predictably struggled in year one, saw gradual improvement in year 2, and then had a 2021 Iowa Hawkeye type of season in year 3 to spring him to the Panthers job. Always seemed pretty flukey to me that he got that job, so I guess I'm not surprised to see him flame out this quickly. Will be interesting to see where, if anywhere, he shows up coaching again. Given the buyout he's getting, he certainly wouldn't have to look for work right away again, or ever realistically.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Rhule was the first Big 12 football coach to duplicate DC Heacock's 3-3-5 defense. He did so down to the last detail, road it to a Big 12 title, and road that to the NFL. The NFL is said to be a copy cat league, so I thought he would fit in nicely up there. But I was wrong. Would like to see him land at Nebby.