Part of Lon's Strategy for a Win at Hilton

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Per Landthieves here is a part of Lon's plan to stay at the #1 spot.

"Interesting at practice yesterday, OU was working on getting the ball to Lattin in the post. I guess they want McKay in foul trouble early, because it seems like they never go to the post."

"It was one of the things Kruger stressed yesterday. They spent 10+ minutes working on it, telling Khadeem and AK to attack right away. Give a ball fake, but also don't give McKay time to recover if you beat him. They spent time getting the timing down, when exactly to post and when to give Khadeem the ball. Obviously you can't post to quick or McKay will recover and can't go to late or McKay will front you."

http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?101154-***Oklahoma-at-Iowa-State***

Last edited:

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
More shots for Lattin means fewer shots for Hield/Cousins/Woodard. I'm OK with that. You can definitely get McKay in the air with a pump fake.

These types of strategies usually sound good in practice. Then you get in the game and suddenly getting it to the best scorer in the country is a much better strategy,

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Interesting strategy if they try it. Lattin is not a very polished offensive player and most of his looks come off of rebounds/put backs, so I'm not sure how efficient he would be in the post. Of course if they can get McKay in foul trouble, that's big for them potentially.

Although if they did force us into a small ball lineup for large portions of the game, I think we would really be able to score on them. Last year with the big run against them I think we were playing a lot of that with Hogue at the 4 I remember correctly.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
More shots for Lattin means fewer shots for Hield/Cousins/Woodard. I'm OK with that. You can definitely get McKay in the air with a pump fake.

These types of strategies usually sound good in practice. Then you get in the game and suddenly getting it to the best scorer in the country is a much better strategy,

Agree OU has much more fire power from the outside, but it would not be good to get McKay in foul trouble.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Regardless of foul trouble, every team should be attacking McKay and the paint against us. His defense this year has been abysmal.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
No, but somebody could send this to a manager and it will get to whomever it needs to. And, I'm out of the loop, who is 'Landthieves'? Just an OU fan?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
One word - Zone. I never thought I'd say that against OU, but their switching up too last time left wide open shots and wore out our guys trying to stay with them.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
One word - Zone. I never thought I'd say that against OU, but their switching up too last time left wide open shots and wore out our guys trying to stay with them.

Except they can shoot their way out of a zone. I think we'll just have to mix it up on them. Force Buddy to take tough shots. If he makes them, hats off to him. To me the biggest thing is limit offensive rebounds. In our losses, that's what kills us.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Zone scares me when you are playing against a team like OU that can be on fire from behind the arc. McKay just needs to stay down and not bite on the fakes.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Zone scares me when you are playing against a team like OU that can be on fire from behind the arch. McKay just needs to stay down and not bite on the fakes.

Did you see the first game? They had no issue getting open shots against a man to man defense. Unless we're willing to switch everything on defense, they'll get their shots. I'd like to at least keep them from getting interior shots as well.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Did you see the first game? They had no issue getting open shots against a man to man defense. Unless we're willing to switch everything on defense, they'll get their shots. I'd like to at least keep them from getting interior shots as well.

Yes, OU had a great first game against our man to man, but in theory, great 3 point shooting is what breaks a zone. OU is just that good this year.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
We will mix up our defenses the rest of the season. One thing a zone does is keep McKay right at the basket, where he is most effective. Rebounding is an issue, and obviously, OU's outside shooting is incredible.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Lattin is going to come into the game all full of himself for the lucky tip-in to win the WV game. I hope they go to him early and let him shoot their way right out of the game.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
No, but somebody could send this to a manager and it will get to whomever it needs to. And, I'm out of the loop, who is 'Landthieves'? Just an OU fan?[/QUOTE]

Another name for Sooners. Similar site to this or WRNL.

"Landthieves!" What a wonderful cultural heritage they have in Oklahoma!

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Per Landthieves here is a part of Lon's plan to stay at the #1 spot.

"Interesting at practice yesterday, OU was working on getting the ball to Lattin in the post. I guess they want McKay in foul trouble early, because it seems like they never go to the post."

"It was one of the things Kruger stressed yesterday. They spent 10+ minutes working on it, telling Khadeem and AK to attack right away. Give a ball fake, but also don't give McKay time to recover if you beat him. They spent time getting the timing down, when exactly to post and when to give Khadeem the ball. Obviously you can't post to quick or McKay will recover and can't go to late or McKay will front you."

http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?101154-***Oklahoma-at-Iowa-State***

If i was Lon i would have the guys practicing at the airport so they can get used to the sound of a jet taking off because thats what hiltons going to sound like tonight

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron