Password Managers

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Do you use one? Which one do you use? Do you use it to generate PWs for you?

My wife has been asking for me to list out our usernames/pws in case something were to happen to one of us. I decided to use BitWarden, it's free version seems fairly robust. I am surprised at how many places we have logins for, back in the day we had to memorize phone numbers, now I know only a few. Seems that brain power is now used for username/pw info.

Reactions: amishclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I use google to keep my passwords and CC info for me. Works well, but I guess if something were to happen to me it would be a pain for someone to get in. My wife knows all the financial passwords already, but the medical ones and such may be more of an issue.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I don't like google knowing/keeping all that info, I guess its not that much different than having a PW manager. I guess I don't trust big brother, not sure?, it just makes me uneasy. I do like having a PW generator, where the PWs are random characters.

Reactions: cygrads

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
LastPass here as well. First one I used and was happy with it so never tried a different one. You can manage and generate passwords/usernames with it.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Do you use one? Which one do you use? Do you use it to generate PWs for you?

My wife has been asking for me to list out our usernames/pws in case something were to happen to one of us. I decided to use BitWarden, it's free version seems fairly robust. I am surprised at how many places we have logins for, back in the day we had to memorize phone numbers, now I know only a few. Seems that brain power is now used for username/pw info.

I've used Lastpass and 1Password, and I have them generate passwords. I don't know the passwords to any of my accounts, aside from the master password to unlock the manager.

It's also handy as a digital safe of sorts, where you can store copies of important documents you might need to reference.

If you invest the time into setting it up and taking advantage of its capabilities, it's a great tool.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Another vote for last pass. I've been using it for years and it's been great. Change my main password every 90 days and have individual site passwords auto renew. Their mobile app is great as well. You can set up facial recognition so you don't have to put in the password if you don't want to.

Reactions: DSMCy and Jer

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't like google knowing/keeping all that info, I guess its not that much different than having a PW manager. I guess I don't trust big brother, not sure?, it just makes me uneasy. I do like having a PW generator, where the PWs are random characters.
I don't trust any company with my personal info but at this point there is no other way. Unless yo want to waste time doing things the old way.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

Yeah, of all the mega-data companies I feel like Google is the worst of the worst as far as having and knowing all about its users.

We've had this discussion and decided to do it the old fashioned way.

I have a little spiral notebook with passwords written in it.

I also try to register with as few sites and apps as possible. Which is actually very impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
I don't trust any company with my personal info but at this point there is no other way. Unless yo want to waste time doing things the old way.
I use open source KeePass on my phone, laptop, and computer then backup the encrypted database onto Dropbox or Google Drive. This way you control the data and not some 3rd party.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I use open source KeePass on my phone, laptop, and computer then backup the encrypted database onto Dropbox or Google Drive. This way you control the data and not some 3rd party.
Not really, dropbox and google drive are still areas that can be intercepted though I do agree that is a good way to do it. In the end all the electrons go through the same back bone points of the internet. If someone wants to steal it they can.

Until we have a quantum internet, we will always have this problem.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Another vote for LastPass.
I’ve been using it a long time and really like it.
It’s great now that I can auto fill on my phone for websites and most apps.
Super simple and let’s me set longer more complex passwords.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
LastPass as a password manager/vault
Authy for 2Factor

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
What do you do when someone else needs access to the same accounts on a different computer?
For example, I do most of the financial stuff with account access, but if I wanted another family member to have similar access, how would I make sure they could get it?
ADD: I'm asking about this relevant to keeping a password manager of some type instead of my notebook.