Pat Summit Forced Out By AD Hart

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Pat Summit files affidavit in sexual discrimination case that says she was forced out:

Pat Summitt initially felt forced out by Tennessee Lady Volunteers - ESPN

this could get very ugly for TN, and it is a shame that he did this to their icon. Their men's programs have been messed up by scandal, and their women's sports have often been of the premiere level, and there have been lots of TN fans upset and the "undoing" of a lot of the women's sports by Hart.

BlondeCy

Jul 25, 2008
Might want to reword and re-read the story. Coach Summit is not the one who filed the suit -- it was filed by former Lady Vols media director Debby Jennings.

"The suit indicates Hart (UT AD) spoke with Jennings at a May 15 meeting and gave her less than three hours to choose whether to resign, retire or be fired. The suit charges that she lost her job either due to her gender and age or out of retaliation for her advocacy of gender-equity issues, opposition to discrimination against female student-athletes and opposition to sex, disability or age discrimination." ESPN

Coach Summit testified - and she even said that she misunderstood the AD's comments.

To me -- a UT alum (as well as an ISU alum) -- this is someone's sour grapes and wanting her day in the sun. From what I here from Knoxville it was Coach Summit's choice to step down and she was not forced. Beleive me I know what it is like to have a family member with Alzheimers and I hope this Jenning's chick isn't out to exploit this situation for her benefit.

BlondeCy

Jul 25, 2008
I will grant you that she did not file the lawsuit.

BUT you forgot to add this "Summitt went on to say in the affidavit that Hart later told her that she had misinterpreted what he had said."

So to say she was forced out is not necessarily the truth.