Patrick Mahomes' father arrested on suspicion of DWI

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So you're saying being an addict automatically equals ****** person?
I'm saying if you're an addict and you choose to drink and drive or endanger others it doesn't excuse you from being a ****** person. You can be sick and also responsible for the outcome of your choices.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's not the norm. I've never met an addict that was responsible. Those two things usually dont go hand in hand.

End of the day we like to act like its really a thought out decision.

People who drive drunk usually aren't acting of sound mind when they make that decision.

People who don't have a problem may get that first DUI and use it as a warning sign to reevaluate their drinking habits (or quit entirely).

People who have a problem aren't able to make those changes. So they're constantly in that position where they're in a position making decisions not of sound mind.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I'm saying if you're an addict and you choose to drink and drive or endanger others it doesn't excuse you from being a ****** person. You can be sick and also responsible for the outcome of your choices.
Is it possible? OF course. Is it likely someone messed up on chemicals is going to have that thought process? Not likely.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

So if someone gets an OWI are they ****** forever or just then?

If someone goes 40 down a 25 with a bunch of kids in yards on the way to work are they a ****** person? That's endangering others.

• Creative
Reactions: 8bitnes

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
End of the day we like to act like its really a thought out decision.

People who drive drunk usually aren't acting of sound mind when they make that decision.

People who don't have a problem may get that first DUI and use it as a warning sign to reevaluate their drinking habits (or quit entirely).

People who have a problem aren't able to make those changes. So they're constantly in that position where they're in a position making decisions not of sound mind.
After I got my first one I actually decreased how much I drove under the influence considerably. The problem is some nights I didn't have that same thought process, decided to drive, and then got picked up. Even if you are better about your decision making most of the time you are still going to have those nights where you decide to drive.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Nobody is excusing the behavior here. I’m not quite sure you understand the difference between an addict and someone who just drinks a lot. There is a difference.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Well then I'd say while you were an addict you acted as a ****** person. I'm glad you're not any more.
I agree that I was a selfsh prick. I wasn't in my right mind. Nobody who is a bad alcoholic ever is. I did it to myself, take full responsibility, etc..

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So if someone gets an OWI are they ****** forever or just then?

If someone goes 40 down a 25 with a bunch of kids in yards on the way to work are they a ****** person? That's endangering others.
If you get an owi and there's no change in behavior I'm assuming you remain a scumbag until the behavior changes. It's not like I give a **** if people drink, **** I drink heavily a lot of nights.

Knowingly putting kids at danger seems like pretty uncontroversially ****** behavior too. But I'm always surprised at what adults in these threads clap for so who knows.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
If you get an owi and there's no change in behavior I'm assuming you remain a scumbag until the behavior changes. It's not like I give a **** if people drink, **** I drink heavily a lot of nights.

Knowingly putting kids at danger seems like pretty uncontroversially ****** behavior too. But I'm always surprised at what adults in these threads clap for so who knows.
That isn't part of an addicts thought process. The chemicals generally make rational thought impossible. Im not trying to make up excuses for addicts I just don't think you understand their frame of mind.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Isn't that why addicts make amends as part of recovery. What are they making amends for if not scummy behavior? Literally all I've said is drunk driving is scumbag behavior regardless of your chemical dependency.
I myself was way more focused on making amends of failed relationships with family and friends I'd let down than actual legal issues.