NBA: Paul Millsap drops 46 as Jazz beat Heat

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Paul Millsap scored a career-high 46 points -- 11 coming in the final 28 seconds of regulation as Utah rallied from eight down -- and the Jazz stunned the Heat 116-114 in overtime on Tuesday night.

Paul Millsap leads Jazz past Heat despite LeBron James' 29th career triple-double

Paul Millsap was 3-3 from the 3-point line in the final 30 seconds. Coming into this game, he was 2-20 3-pt FG for his career and had not made one this season.

Final line: 46 points, 19-28, 9 rebounds

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
pretty damn impressive, my coworkers and i were in the breakroom at work saying the game was over in the first half and i come home and it definitely gotta a little "huh?" outta me.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Oh, too bad LeBaby.

I don't get it. LeBron James never predicted a title this year, and the season is still young.

The Miami Heat are poised for many deep playoff runs in the near future, and yes, there will be some titles along the way. The only people who said this team will never suffer are pundit idiots.

LeBaby? Why, because he went someplace to win?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Whitlock opined yesterday that Bosh was part of the problem and that he had to go. Said he was too soft and they needed some muscle down low. There may be some truth to that but either way I'm looking forward to the train wreck if the Heat don't get any better.

Over under on when Riles comes down from the front office and gives young coach Eric the shoulder tap?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Chris Bosh is going to wish he was back playing under the radar in Toronto pretty soon. Dude has never played in a big game in his life, he looked terrified in the opener in Boston, he's going to let Milsap drop 46 on him, the playoffs are not going to be a fun experience for him.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't get it. LeBron James never predicted a title this year, and the season is still young.

The Miami Heat are poised for many deep playoff runs in the near future, and yes, there will be some titles along the way. The only people who said this team will never suffer are pundit idiots.

LeBaby? Why, because he went someplace to win?

The guy had a hour special jerk off session where he ditched his hometown at the end to "take his talents to South Beach".

Nobody is against free agency, people don't like egomaniacs.

Kevin Durant resigned for five years during the same week and tweeted the news in 8 words. That was the end of it. Oh Durant outscored LeBron in just his third season too. This is a guy who was the best player at the Olympics by a million miles, a guy who is at worst the second or third best player to build a team around RIGHT NOW. 8 words vs. one hour jerk off tv special? That is night and day.

ist8er

Aug 3, 2010
Wichita
The guy had a hour special jerk off session where he ditched his hometown at the end to "take his talents to South Beach".

Kevin Durant resigned for five years during the same week and tweeted the news in 8 words. That was the end of it. Oh Durant outscored LeBron in just his third season too. This is a guy who was the best player at the Olympics by a million miles, a guy who is at worst the second or third best player to build a team around RIGHT NOW. 8 words vs. one hour jerk off tv special? That is night and day.

agreed

Clones33

Jan 15, 2009
Ankeny, IA
HFCS - I am curious as to if you would still be calling LeBron a baby if he decided to come to Chicago and play for your Bulls instead?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Chris Bosh is going to wish he was back playing under the radar in Toronto pretty soon. Dude has never played in a big game in his life, he looked terrified in the opener in Boston, he's going to let Milsap drop 46 on him, the playoffs are not going to be a fun experience for him.

As a Bulls fan who followed free agency closely right now I'd rank Bosh/Bulls big men:
1. Noah (and it's not even close)
2. Boozer
3 tie. Taj Gibson
3 tie. Bosh
*Obviously #3 could change, but so far Taj Gibson has had the better '10, he's shooting 63% with everyone crashing on Rose, why can't Bosh shoot like that with not one but two superstars?

The Heat already need to go 70-5 the rest of the way to match Jeff Van Gundy's prediction of how good they'd be.

JVG was a decent coach but he's about the worst analyst/prognosticator in the history of sports. Whatever the guy predicts, bet the farm on it not happening.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

To be fair, LeBron signed an extension with Cleveland after three years with little fanfare too. Also, Durant was the best player at the World Championships playing with the US JV team. It was a great performance, but it wasn't like he took over a team with Kobe, Wade and LeBron.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
As a Bulls fan who followed free agency closely right now I'd rank Bosh/Bulls big men:
1. Noah (and it's not even close)
2. Boozer
3 tie. Taj Gibson
3 tie. Bosh
*Obviously #3 could change, but so far Taj Gibson has had the better '10, he's shooting 63% with everyone crashing on Rose, why can't Bosh shoot like that with not one but two superstars?

The Heat already need to go 70-5 the rest of the way to match Jeff Van Gundy's prediction of how good they'd be.

JVG was a decent coach but he's about the worst analyst/prognosticator in the history of sports. Whatever the guy predicts, bet the farm on it not happening.

Van Gundy's brother is also the coach of the Heat's main rival, it's possible he was trying to put more pressure on the Heat with his prediction.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
HFCS - I am curious as to if you would still be calling LeBron a baby if he decided to come to Chicago and play for your Bulls instead?

Yes he would have still been a baby for quitting in a playoff series. If "the Decision" went down the same way he's also either severely misguided or an egomaniac.

Doesn't mean he couldn't have lead Chicago to titles. Scottie Pippen was a baby too in the season Jordan retired, does that make you feel better? But that was quitting for a few secons at the end of one game, not quitting for an entire playoff series. James behavior was on a whole different level.

If you watched his last series as a Cav and don't think he's a baby you are blind. If you are aware of the circus known as "the decision" and don't think he's an egomaniac you are blind. Doesn't mean he still can't be a great player and win future championships? No. It just means most American sports fans aren't blind and don't like the guy because he quit in a playoff series and jerked himself off on ESPN for an hour.

I'm sure I wouldn't end a lifetime of being a Bulls fan and suddenly cheer against my own city's team if he came here. But I'm not a liar, so I wouldn't deny the guy was a quitter on the court in Cleveland and a misguided egomaniac off the court.

Clones33

Jan 15, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Yes he would have still been a baby for quitting in a playoff series. If "the Decision" went down the same way he's also either severely misguided or an egomaniac.

Doesn't mean he couldn't have lead Chicago to titles. Scottie Pippen was a baby too in the season Jordan retired, does that make you feel better? But that was quitting for a few secons at the end of one game, not quitting for an entire playoff series. James behavior was on a whole different level.

If you watched his last series as a Cav and don't think he's a baby you are blind. If you are aware of the circus known as "the decision" and don't think he's an egomaniac you are blind. Doesn't mean he still can't be a great player and win future championships? No. It just means most American sports fans aren't blind and don't like the guy because he quit in a playoff series and jerked himself off on ESPN for an hour.

I'm sure I wouldn't end a lifetime of being a Bulls fan and suddenly cheer against my own city's team if he came here. But I'm not a liar, so I wouldn't deny the guy was a quitter on the court in Cleveland and a misguided egomaniac off the court.

Settle down, it wasn't a personal attack. Was his performance in the final Cavs playoff series indefensible - probably. We only know what we know and what was reported. We don't know what was really going on behind the scenes. I would be shocked if their weren't conversations between LeBron's posse and the Cavs management, but it's possible he just kept quiet and waited until the last couple weeks of free agency to screw them over. If that is the case, I would assume the bridges were burning inside the organization prior to the 2009/10 season.

You are obviously a huge basketball fan, but of all the sports it is probably one of the easiest to see EXACTLY what the players are thinking/feeling on the court. Scottie was ****** when Phil had pumped him up to be the 'Man' all season and then designed the last play for someone else. Was it right - probably not. Is it defensible - I think so. And I don't think Scottie was a baby, but I'm sure he would love to have a chance to act differently in the same situation.

Back to Lebron, something obviously happened between him and the Cleveland management. You are entitled to your opinion of him, but to rag on a guy for choosing to live in Miami and play with his friends in a system where he is entitled to make that choice is unfair. He handled 'The Decision' poorly, I think he even admitted that, but it wouldn't be the first time a 25 year-old made a mistake.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think one thing LeBron underestimated when he came to Miami was the lack of homecourt advantage. For seven years in Cleveland he played in front of sell out crowds every night that were just waiting to explode when he did something spectacular. The Miami crowd is nowhere near the level of the Cleveland fans. They arrive late and leave early, for a player who feeds off the fans like LeBron, whether they are cheering or booing him, I think the indifferent Miami fans were not something he was expecting.

Clones33

Jan 15, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I think one thing LeBron underestimated when he came to Miami was the lack of homecourt advantage. For seven years in Cleveland he played in front of sell out crowds every night that were just waiting to explode when he did something spectacular. The Miami crowd is nowhere near the level of the Cleveland fans. They arrive late and leave early, for a player who feeds off the fans like LeBron, whether they are cheering or booing him, I think the indifferent Miami fans were not something he was expecting.

You have a point, but I don't think LeBron's play has suffered much this year. He and Wade both seem to be playing fairly well. I see three glaring issues with the Heat.

1) Bosh is not an inside presence and their 'bruiser' is Udonnis Haslem. They are going to have trouble against any team with decent size. Utah w/ Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap has a decided inside advantage - and while it might not work out that way every night, but Miami has had rebounding issues early on this season.
2) Every team that plays the heat are giving a 'super bowl' effort. That will wear and tear on the 2.5 amigos over the course of a season.
3) LeBron and Wade are both "Alpha Dogs" - to borrow from Bill Simmons - and haven't figured out who is actually in control of the team and needs to take the last shot.