Paul Rhoads update

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The guy gave it his all when he was here and delivered some epic wins. Former players LOVED playing for him (Mahoney and Woody said this on one of their podcasts). Whether it was coincidental or because of his teams' play, I would argue it was his tenure that kicked up the ISU tailgating scene to be elite in the country which CMC saw and made him want to coach here (fan passion). You could tell Rhoads' time was up (and he knew it as well) but he gave it his all until the end and set up Campbell for the greatest stretch in ISU football history (many of Rhoads recruited players were part of the beginning of this run). Bashing CPR is dumb and those fans probably weren't fans before Chizik and didn't know what ISU football came from.

What part of my post is bashing him? I’m using his own words he said. I agree with most of your sentiment. And slightly disagree about giving it all given his own quotes when it comes to recruiting and competing in Ames Iowa at the tail end of his time here. Most of his last season I was still ready to give him another year, but when he said those things on top of how that KState game ended changed my tune and he needed to go. Also, I’ve been going to games since ‘96 so can certainly say I’ve been a fan since before Chizik.

The only thing I’d bash him for is wearing that hard hat at the end of his last game at Iowa State after getting beat down by West Virginia. That was a bit embarrassing.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The guy gave it his all when he was here and delivered some epic wins. Former players LOVED playing for him (Mahoney and Woody said this on one of their podcasts). Whether it was coincidental or because of his teams' play, I would argue it was his tenure that kicked up the ISU tailgating scene to be elite in the country which CMC saw and made him want to coach here (fan passion). You could tell Rhoads' time was up (and he knew it as well) but he gave it his all until the end and set up Campbell for the greatest stretch in ISU football history (many of Rhoads recruited players were part of the beginning of this run). Bashing CPR is dumb and those fans probably weren't fans before Chizik and didn't know what ISU football came from.

ISU tailgating has always been elite.

Where things really changed under Paul was the game attendance. We went from “we get sellouts for Iowa and Nebraska” to selling 50K every game, and more butts in seats.

Paul flamed out at the end, but he was a native son who gave us some touchstone moments. We moved on and are in better shape as a program under Campbell, and PR seems to still be doing well for himself. No need to hate on him

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
FWIW:

Boston College outside linebackers coach Paul Rhoads spent one year on the Eagles staff and is well-regarded internally. The 57-year-old is getting serious consideration for the job. He spent seven seasons as Iowa State’s head coach, which was a very tough job. He got the Cyclones to bowl games in three of his first four seasons. His overall record was 32-55.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
FWIW:

Boston College outside linebackers coach Paul Rhoads spent one year on the Eagles staff and is well-regarded internally. The 57-year-old is getting serious consideration for the job. He spent seven seasons as Iowa State’s head coach, which was a very tough job. He got the Cyclones to bowl games in three of his first four seasons. His overall record was 32-55.

If they want a coach that isn’t “hung up” with what they don’t have, Paul isn’t that coach unfortunately.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I have no issues with Paul, he did some great things here and represented ISU well. He probably has one of the most epic upsets in the program history when we knocked off #2 Oklahoma State which broke the BCS. That game probably is my favorite game I've attended as that atmosphere and the way it ended was just electric.

The near collapse of the Big 12 when we originally lost 4 schools probably hurt him on the recruiting trail more than most think. CW has talked about this before, we had some momentum going then conference realignment happened and nearly killed the Big 12 and you can bet that had an impact on us being able to recruit. I'm not making excuses for the way things ended, the K-State game mishaps was the nail in the coffin but just like McCarney he built up expectations and had success many before him had not and we wouldn't be in the place we are today with Campbell had he been an epic failure from day 1. I don't think well of Mr 5-19 Chizik but will at least give him a little credit for recruiting the guys Rhoads had initially.

Reactions: jsb and Cycho1

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
3rd interim gig (Arkansas after Bielema was fired, Arizona after Sumlin was fired; both short-term post season type). I wonder if there's some sort of a record for that.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
Paul Rhoads era changes college football for me. Went from going to a couple games a year to season tickets, all day, and then all weekend tailgating.

Reactions: jsb

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
3rd interim gig (Arkansas after Bielema was fired, Arizona after Sumlin was fired; both short-term post season type). I wonder if there's some sort of a record for that.

I bet it is fairly common with a journeyman type of assistant.