"Paul Rhodes is a good football coach"

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Once again I am amazed at the lack of "depth" Iowa State fans for the Cyclones. They have lost (2) games and the vast majority of you are ready to throw Coach Rhoads under the bus. You all make me sick to my stomach.

Wrong. The vast majority of ISU fans see a guys who loves ISU as much as we do and did an amazing job in his first year. The vast majority of ISU fans know that Paul Rhoads is the right man for the job and that he will build a winner at ISU. The vast majority of ISU fans know that coach Rhoads gives 110% all the time.

If you want to call one ***hole out on a message board for running down the program or the coach that's fine but please don't state that the vast majority of ISU fans are throwing anyone under the bus. They're not and the high school football coaches of Iowa as well as high school recruits everywhere must know that the vast majority of Cyclones fans have total confidence in Paul Rhoads.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
Wrong. The vast majority of ISU fans see a guys who loves ISU as much as we do and did an amazing job in his first year. The vast majority of ISU fans know that Paul Rhoads is the right man for the job and that he will build a winner at ISU. The vast majority of ISU fans know that coach Rhoads gives 110% all the time.

If you want to call one ***hole out on a message board for running down the program or the coach that's fine but please don't state that the vast majority of ISU fans are throwing anyone under the bus. They're not and the high school football coaches of Iowa as well as high school recruits everywhere must know that the vast majority of Cyclones fans have total confidence in Paul Rhoads.

THIS! you said it better than me.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

Exactly, message boards are full of the vocal minority. I would say most ISU fans are taking it all in stride. We were in this exact same position last year. With an easier schedule? Probably, but in truth, we weren't going to beat A&M or OK State last year any more than we are going to beat OU or Texas this year. For some of the vocal minority, I feel making a bowl game last year was a bad thing. It puts too much hype and expectation in their heads.

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
Fans and TV talking head/sports radio types say this all the time. How do we know this is true? Maybe a better question is "How do we know he is a good HEAD football coach"?

Can anyone explain to me why this is so widely accepted as a fact?

It is accepted because we want to believe it. The reality is we dont know. Every team believes their HC is a good coach, at first anyway. I am starting to have my doubts, especially after the decision to leave AA in the Iowa game. We are still feeling the lingering affects of that beat down. I seriously doubt AA ever gets over that.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
You have to give him at least 4 years, then you can judge him. On the field I think he's done a very good job. The question will be, "can he recruit enough talent"? He's in a pretty tough spot. His home state favors the Big 10 more than his conference and NU leaving isn't going to help that. According to Rivals ISU is dead last right now in commitments. So he's going to have to find the players other coaches overlooked and coach them up. He very well could be the perfect coach to do just that but you have to give him time to do it.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
Because he is almost winning with the players we have??? And won a bowl game last year with the players we had.. Short story quick, we will not beat the likes of Iowa, Utah, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska. We just wont and if thats what you are expecting then it will be one long year for you. He will keep us in games with teams like k-state, kansas, colorado, maybe tech and maybe missouri thats the best we can do.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I've only got one on my list but have about 6 more tagged today that are close to earning a starting spot on my ignore list.

I say do it! It really improves your disposition when you're perusing the forums.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
It is accepted because we want to believe it. The reality is we dont know. Every team believes their HC is a good coach, at first anyway. I am starting to have my doubts, especially after the decision to leave AA in the Iowa game. We are still feeling the lingering affects of that beat down. I seriously doubt AA ever gets over that.

It is accepted because CPR took a team that won five games the previous two seasons and then last season won seven games including the first win at Lincoln since 1977 and a bowl win. Those are the facts.

Your concern about AA is valid but I'm trusting the staff that got the Cyclones to a Bowl last year even though we lost to KSU.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I really appreciated two things in Saturday's game coaching-wise. The first was using every chance we had to get in a position to score, ie the last couple plays of the first half, when CPR ran onto the field to get the clock stopped. The second was knowing that if we didn't go for that first down on 4th and inches, the ballgame was probably over.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Fans and TV talking head/sports radio types say this all the time. How do we know this is true? Maybe a better question is "How do we know he is a good HEAD football coach"?

Can anyone explain to me why this is so widely accepted as a fact?

Some facts are just commonly known. Sort of like saying, "Spooner is a d-bag."

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
PR can go from good to great if he uses Tiller instead of Arnaud next week. The four year sample size is good enough, we know what we have. We also have a small one-game sample size for Tiller (nebraska). I'd like to see him get his feet wet this season.

So Tiller's stats from the A&M game (35-10 loss, 18-27, 2 int, 0 TD) should not be considered; why?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Rhoads and Mac are the same thing. Rhoads has more talent and a better staff than mac did. Mac's success will help Rhoads have a better career. The state of ISU program now is much better than what it was when Mac showed up

Agreed. You don't have to hate one to love the other. Each coach is standing on the shoulders of (or pit dug by) the coaches before him. I think that Mac wasn't perfect but he did elevate the program. Right or wrong, he was let go because improvement didn't continue.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's not a question of offensive effectiveness. It's a question of attitude and game day decisions.

Our Oline had the edge on KSU's line and our QB is a tank on sneaks. Sneaking the ball six inches is a 95-99% play there. There's a much bigger risk of a fumble like there is on every play than not picking up the six inches.

Yet I saw enough Mac game day decisions to know that we would never, ever, ever have gone for those six inches on our own 20 with 5 minutes on the clock. KSU would have scored again or ate enough clock to put the game away.

I liked Mac's team's game day preparation and strategy on defense most times, he was actually usually aggressive on defense. But the average Playstation player could have called a better offensive game. That's why I prefer watching Rhoads/Herman teams so far, not necessarily because the system is working like it's supposed to yet.

And don't forget that in his last years Mac had Ryan Kock who was very, very rarely stuffed for no gain <insert penetration joke here>. Defense is just in Mac's blood and when the chips were down he was most comfortable relying on defense.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
A coach that takes a less talented team into an environment that affords a loss to the home team on only extremely rare occasions. And does it without his starting backfield while developing a game plan that suits the backup starters, is not only a good coach but a very good coach. Wally Burnham, who has coached at Florida State when they were National Champs and other top 10 programs, told me personally that the win at Nebraska last Fall was the highaest achievement of his career. The Head Coach made that all possible. That is why our coach receives the respect from other coaches and the media. Bill Snyder did the impossible at K-State and is doing it again, he is a great coach and does not get his due in my opinion. IF CPR does similar things at ISU I will be thrilled. If you noticed Saturday we were in a poisition to win that game at the end...that's all you can expect.