Paul Shirley in the DMR about end of 2001 season

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Just came on to post this article.

It really touches on the importance of intangibles in the NCAA Tournament. The current team has talent, and in the second half of the season they have also displayed chemistry which has allowed them to overachieve.

That 2001 team was a heartbreaker, but as Shirley describes it, they were almost destined to be.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I can totally believe Eustachy said that. I covered the team that year for a newspaper (and unfortunately was in Boise that night) and the mood was definitely different at the end of the year.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Does anything in there surprise anyone...really?

Eustachy was a train wreck waiting to happen and that eventually found its way to the team.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Two thoughts...
1. I feel sorry for Paul if he hasn't forgiven LE. Maybe he got screwed over but basketball has been good to him. Be thankful for what you have. Holding a grudge only punishes you. LE has moved on. Maybe he has regrets. Maybe not. But what is done, is done.

2. Perhaps there is some divine intervention or cosmic justice for us and LE to make the dance this year. I hope he has found peace.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I'm so tired of reading Shirley's crap. I knew what this was going to say before I clicked the damn link but I couldn't help myself.

"I never forgave Larry Eustachy for what he turned basketball into for me"

boo effin hoo

Reactions: cyfanatic

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
You could tell at the end of that season that the team was spent both physically & mentally. Losing in the 1st round of the Big 12 tourney to Baylor should have let us known what was a precursor to come...a short stay in the NCAA tourney.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I know we all have bad memories about this game, but this piece by Paul Shirley about the end of that season is crazy.

Ex-Cyclone Paul Shirley: Hoiberg builds bond ISU lacked | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

I don't doubt that something along these lines actually happened. We all know LE had his issues, and temperament plus alcohol isn't a healthy mix.

But as far as Shirley goes, this is just unnecessary, particularly on the eve of the tournament. It opens up old wounds from a time long gone. It just feels like an attempt to snag some of the spotlight. Granted, he seems complimentary toward these Cyclones, but there's just no need for it.

Reactions: cyfanatic

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I'm so tired of reading Shirley's crap. I knew what this was going to say before I clicked the
damn link but I couldn't help
myself. <br> <br> <i>"I never
forgave Larry Eustachy for
what he turned basketball
into for me"</i><br> <br>
boo effin hoo
He kind of did mess up what could've been one of the greatest seasons in Paul's life. Just saying.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I had high school coaches say stuff worse than that. Not sure what the big deal is.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
Obviously the chemistry was off for some time before this. Larry probably couldn't control Jamal the way he wanted to and that relationship strained the whole team. Regardless of this article I still appreciate both Paul Shirley and Larry Eustachy.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I know we all have bad memories about this game, but this piece by Paul Shirley about the end of that season is crazy.

Ex-Cyclone Paul Shirley: Hoiberg builds bond ISU lacked | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

I guess the thing that annoys me is that Paul Shirley's writing career has always been centrally about Paul Shirley. And this is no different. Here we are, 24 hours away from an unexpected, long overdue return trip to the dance, and we're reliving one of the most painful memories in our history.

But we're talking about Paul Shirley, and that's what Paul Shirley wants.

Reactions: leg4cy

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
I really like and respect Paul Shirley -- not sure why anyone would be mad at him for telling the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyBobby and Go2Guy

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I can totally believe Eustachy said that. I covered the team that year for a newspaper (and unfortunately was in Boise that night) and the mood was definitely different at the end of the year.

Makes me appreciate, "I'm so proud to be your coach...."