Pekin Insurance

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The average home insurer in Iowa right now is paying out $1.06 in claims for every $1.00 it takes in premium with some pushing $1.20.

It's going to get ugly from an availability and premium standpoint.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
The average home insurer in Iowa right now is paying out $1.06 in claims for every $1.00 it takes in premium with some pushing $1.20.

What type of claims? I think of Florida and hurricanes, but we are talking Iowa. When I moved from Iowa I was surprised how low insurance costs in Iowa especially auto.

Reactions: khardbored

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
What's the reason?
Like most companies, they lost their asses in 2020, and losses have continued. The derecho of 2020 was the largest storm in terms of losses in Iowa history. A lot of people don't realize the hail storm of April 2020 was the second largest.
They're not going to be the only one...

The market is collapsing.
IMT, based in West Des Moines, has paused new business in Iowa. Nationwide has not officially pulled out, but they have tightened underwriting requirements to the point it's almost impossible to write new business.

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

We have one company that was paying out $1.90.

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Like most companies, they lost their asses in 2020, and losses have continued. The derecho of 2020 was the largest storm in terms of losses in Iowa history. A lot of people don't realize the hail storm of April 2020 was the second largest.

IMT, based in West Des Moines, has paused new business in Iowa. Nationwide has not officially pulled out, but they have tightened underwriting requirements to the point it's almost impossible to write new business.
Yup. I've basically got 2 carriers at this point and one of them I absolutely hate but they'll take the business.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I work in the insurance industry, and for each of the past three years, we've had our worst storm years. The company I work for is already a third over what they budgeted for storms (and they budgeted high). It just never seems to end.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I do know quite a few people that have gotten roofs and/or siding replaced from storm damage over the last 1-2 years. Didn't realize it was that much of a trend across the state.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Yup. I've basically got 2 carriers at this point and one of them I absolutely hate but they'll take the business.
We were getting down there. Our agency was proactive and we added two new carriers this year, so we've still got options, but everything is high. Higher deductibles are going to become the way of the world.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think some of the claims adjusting is a little off. Saw a claim where it was ACV on the roof. The shingles were knocked for about 60% gone, but they paid 100% of all removal costs. I think if you have ACV, that if half the life of your shingles is used up, it should only be half the cost of removal and other stuff. Otherwise if it was deemed only 10% life is left, that owner would pay 100% in a year or two with no damage. With damage, they pay 90% of the new shingles but 0% of removal and a few other things.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I do know quite a few people that have gotten roofs and/or siding replaced from storm damage over the last 1-2 years. Didn't realize it was that much of a trend across the state.
The big hailstorm that hit central Iowa last spring has resulted in nearly every home in our development getting new roofs and siding. The damage was very widespread.