Personal foul roughing the passer?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I didn’t read through the game thread so this may have been discussed, but why was the hit in the UNI QB flagged as a personal foul?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
We left early with our little kiddos but heard it on the radio. John and Eric weren’t having it. John called it the “Aaron Rogers call” then Heft had a classic response along the lines of “Theo Day sure isn’t playing like Aaron Rogers” :D

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Thanks. That is the way it looked to me on TV as well, but thought I must have missed something.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
They implemented a rule a year or two ago where you're not supposed to land with the brunt of your weight on the QB. Even by the letter of that rule, I still don't think it was the right call as our defender put his hands out to try and break the fall. There was a similar call on Dom Orange on the first play and they picked up that flag.

Reactions: chadly82

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
They implemented a rule a year or two ago where you're not supposed to land with the brunt of your weight on the QB. Even by the letter of that rule, I still don't think it was the right call as our defender put his hands out to try and break the fall. There was a similar call on Dom Orange on the first play and they picked up that flag.
I actually thought the one they picked up was closer to a foul than the one they went with but, alas, the next perfectly called game will be the first.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I didn’t read through the game thread so this may have been discussed, but why was the hit in the UNI QB flagged as a personal foul?
I believe it was because the defender landed on the QB. Or is that only an NFL rule?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I believe it was because the defender landed on the QB. Or is that only an NFL rule?
The way the ref and Campbell were talking about it at the the next game break, it looked like it was more about where the helmet was placed on the initial contact. Atleast that’s the argument the white hat was making based on hand gestures.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
The way the ref and Campbell were talking about it at the the next game break, it looked like it was more about where the helmet was placed on the initial contact. Atleast that’s the argument the white hat was making based on hand gestures.
The defender put his face mask in the QBs chest?

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
They officiating crew blew this call. They also refused to call a holding penalty on UNI. Our d-line was getting held all game and they just swallowed the whistle.
IMO, there were a ton of ‘sympathy’ calls against the ISU D. Holding was the only way UNI could keep their QB injury free.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Ellis shouldn't be running any windsprints on that one. Buy the kid a steak dinner and tell him to do the exact same thing if the opportunity arises. That was text book tackling and form. Might as well take off the pads and play soccer if the refs are calling that kind of thing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron