Pete Taylor

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
After watching and listening some games recently, I got to thinking how lucky we were to have such a great play-by-play announcer in Pete Taylor. Lets face it, there are very few out there that actually do a great (or even good) job of doing play-by-play.

Even a lot of the NFL guys are not as gifted as he was. Don't even get me started on Walters or the immaculate haircut (Dolphin)

I realize that this is a totally random and stupid post.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Having a great announcer makes game so much more enjoyable. I absolutely love listening to Marty Brennaman call the Reds.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
After watching and listening some games recently, I got to thinking how lucky we were to have such a great play-by-play announcer in Pete Taylor. Lets face it, there are very few out there that actually do a great (or even good) job of doing play-by-play.

Even a lot of the NFL guys are not as gifted as he was. Don't even get me started on Walters or the immaculate haircut (Dolphin)

I realize that this is a totally random and stupid post.

pete was iowa state!!! :notworthy: he loved and represented our university better than anyone i can remember!! he is sorely missed:sad:

but, why the hard feelings for john? i think he eventually will become a beloved figure much like pete. i think he does a great job broadcasting, and is very passionate about the cyclones...what more can you ask of a guy?

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I shouldn't be too hard on Walters, the thing I don't like about him is that he gets excited just about every play. It makes me think a big play is occurring when it ends up being a 2 yard gain or loss.

In reality I think Pete was so good it set the bar so high that it will be difficult to ever have someone that good at it again. Walters is heads and shoulders above what WHO has on staff. You do actually know what is going with John.

I am double spoiled because I am a Cardinals fan, and grew up listening to Jack Buck, and later Joe Buck and Mike Shannon. Joe still does the occasional STL game. IMO Jack was one if not the best broadcaster ever.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I feel John has gotten better every year. Just got to take him as he is. I'm glad he's the guy that replaced Pete.

Then again, I wish he didn't have to be replaced.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
To this day I still accidentally say " Pete and Eric" when referring to the radio broadcasts.

Whenever I listen to The Tribute to Pete it chokes me up...all the time. I started listening to Pete and Eric when I was 7, what a horrible spring that was for ISU when Pete passed away.

Here's a nice website for Pete. CyclonesCentral.com :: Sounds

Last edited:

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
I wasn't a state fan until I came to ISU in 1996, Pete Taylor really made ISU sports something special for me.

I still get choked up when I listen to his memorable calls, especially the ones I witnessed in person.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
To this day I still accidentally say " Pete and Eric" when referring to the radio broadcasts.

Whenever I listen to The Tribute to Pete it chokes me up...all the time. I started listening to Pete and Eric when I was 7, what a horrible spring that was for ISU when Pete passed away.

Here's a nice website for Pete. CyclonesCentral.com :: Sounds

I am right with with the "Pete and Eric" when referring to radio broadcasts. When I was young I would listen to every away game radio broadcast. Lots of great memories. Correct me if I am wrong but I remember a team from 84-85 maybe that was in a preseason NIT tourney and won at Purdue when they were ranked #2. Like I said I could be wrong but that sticks in my memory of Pete.

I wish we would reanme the tourney we host to the Pete Taylor Classic or somthing. As long as his family is behind it.

It seems like nothing good has happened to us since he passed.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Pete :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

John :biggrin::biggrin::wink::wink::yes::yes::smile::smile:

Zabel :daydreaming::cute::daydreaming::cute::daydreaming::cute::eek:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I am right with with the "Pete and Eric" when referring to radio broadcasts. When I was young I would listen to every away game radio broadcast. Lots of great memories. Correct me if I am wrong but I remember a team from 84-85 maybe that was in a preseason NIT tourney and won at Purdue when they were ranked #2. Like I said I could be wrong but that sticks in my memory of Pete.

I wish we would reanme the tourney we host to the Pete Taylor Classic or somthing. As long as his family is behind it.

You are correct...Purdue as #2 and the Grayer/Thompkins team beat them.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I got to high-five Pete after ISU beat KU at Allen Fieldhouse for the first time in 17 years. One of my highlights of being a Cyclone fan. He was a fan for sure, but always told it like it was without covering up poor play or over-glorifying good play. Won't ever be another Pete.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The main broadcast guy in Nebraska football last year quit (or was told to go) two games before the end of the season.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA

I remember that game vividly to this day. It was a real late game during the weekday and I had to listen to it in the dark in my room with the sound turned way down so my folks wouldn't know I was still up.

Another one of my favorite memories is when Alex Gifford kicked the game winning field goal against Iowa. I was in my grandparents backyard listening to Pete and Eric, I set up the kick just like Pete was saying and kicked the ball through the goal posts along with Alex Gifford. My grandparents thought it was hilarious that a nine year old would get that emotional after an Iowa State win.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
The greatest Cyclone there ever was.

I'd have to imagine it's just a matter of time before the press box or something is named after the guy.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I was watching the KU basketball game today. They continue to have Dave Armstrong and Paul Splittorf as their announcers. Any chance those guys will also start doing some of ISU's games when the Big 12 starts? I think they made ISU basketball much more fun to watch when they were doing our games even though we didn't have our best teams.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
Pete Taylor had big time talent but chose to stay at ISU when he had the ability to be in a bigger market. A great great announcer, I loved his style.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I was watching the KU basketball game today. They continue to have Dave Armstrong and Paul Splittorf as their announcers. Any chance those guys will also start doing some of ISU's games when the Big 12 starts? I think they made ISU basketball much more fun to watch when they were doing our games even though we didn't have our best teams.

I hate Dave Armstrong. I'd much rather they just pump the radio feed thru the tv.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I hate Dave Armstrong. I'd much rather they just pump the radio feed thru the tv.

WOW!!!

Seriously though, I don't mind Armstrong. Once Big 12 play starts up, Splitorff and Armstrong will start doing some of our games, I think they stick with the bigger programs during non-conference slate.