Petition Against Chaplain

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
This is on IowaStateDaily.com tonight. Apparently professors in Curriculum and Instruction are experts in Constitutional Law.............

One of the guys in the comments section makes a great point about chaplains in the military.
Professors of petition discuss concerns

Online exclusive

James Heggen/Daily Staff Writer
Updated 5/18/07 @ 9:39 PM CST
Four professors at Iowa State have authored a petition opposing having a team chaplain on the ISU football team.
Ellen Fairchild, lecturer of curriculum and instruction and co-author of the petition, said the reason she is opposed to the football team having a chaplain is because Iowa State is a public institution.
"My personal concern is the separation between religion and government," she said.
Warren Blumenfeld, assistant professor of curriculum and instruction and co-author of the petition, said he was opposed to a team chaplain also because it is violating the separation of religion and government and it will marginalize non-Christian individuals.
William David, university professor of music and co-author of the petition, said the position would be inappropriate and he said he thought it was illegal, as well.
"I believe it's a violation of the Constitution to do this," David said.
Fairchild said it is hard for any person of faith to separate what they do from and his or her faith. She said the person is going to advocate his or her faith as chaplain.
Fairchild said even if the position were to be privately funded, she would be opposed to having a chaplain on the team because Iowa State is a public university.
"It is seen as sanctioned by this institution," she said.
Fairchild said having the chaplain could have a negative effect on the members of the team.
"It's a coercion type of thing," she said.
David also said there may be a sense of coercion among the team members that are not Christian.
"What does that say about every other faith?" he asked.
Blumenfeld said there are many support systems available for Christians available in the area and hiring a chaplain is not only not necessary, but it also promotes a certain religion.
David also wrote in an e-mail that "this is a church/state separation issue with potential legal implications" and not an "anti-athletic" or "anti-Christian" issue.
Athletic director Jamie Pollard and head football coach Gene Chizik could not be reached for comment.

The Iowa State Daily

Link to the petition:

Petition concerning chaplains in its athletic program - News

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Ohh god... I am an athiest, and I have no problems with a chaplain with the team. These anti religion freaks go too far. WHO CARES if the team wants to pray, those who don't want to don't have to participate. These types just really **** me off.

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I can't stand people like that. Wasn't this country based on religion?

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
For some people, it doesn't matter how smart they are, they are just plain stupid!!!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
All deserve to be heard...regardless if we agree or not. I think it's foolish...yet...it is what it is.

PlymouthCy

Mar 21, 2006
Hinton
Visit site
The stuff people waist their time with. If you listen to some of the critics you would believe that Gene Chizik is forcing the team to visit the chaplain as part of team meetings.
Give me a break.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
seuss_grinchpc.jpg

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
I think President Geoffroy could put the money spent on salaries for these professors to better use in the athletic programs. Fire their sorry behinds. Thats all we need is coaches leaving because they have to put up with crap like this.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What these so-called dim-witted professors don't get is this is a PRIVATELY FUNDED CHAPLAIN!!! The University is not paying for this Chaplain, a private donor is. As far as I'm concerned, if the University isn't paying for this Chaplain, then these professors are out of line and need to worry more about teaching in the classroom and less about making fools of themselves.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
There should be no problem whatsoever because Chizik said he wanted the OPTION there....which to me is NOT oppressing religion on anyone. Also, it is not funded through Iowa State. I have no problem with him doing it and think its great he's trying to care for his team on all levels.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
It's stuff like this that is going to "weigh" in Chizik's decision to stay at ISU if other offers come in down the road. It is mind boggling that University Professors would compose such a petition with such unthought out arguements....these are college profs????? This is not a violation of the "Seperation of Church and Sate." Yes, ISU is a public insititution....but the state government is not forceing its brand of religion on anyone. Do these guys think that maybe the Coach talked to the players about this to see how they felt...my guess is they are for it since Coach Chizik is moveing forward. Also, do these "College Professors" not think that JP ran this through ISU's legal Dept before giving it the green light? Do people think ISU is the only program in the country to do this? I am shocked at how this is blown out of proportion. Who cares? People act like this is being forced on the team. If the team is good with it....then so am I. The players and coaches are the only ones affected and are the only ones that count here. Maybe they did not get a Rabbi, Imam, or Scientologist but I bet this Chaplian will be able to help get a kid to one if he needs one or requests one. Thumbs up to Coach Chizik and Jaimie Pollard on this one....they got this one right.

P.S. I am just a normal guy, grew up Catholic, don't go to church as much as I should....etc. But I could really care less if the team has a Chaplian. I am not there "day-to-day"...the Coach is ...he identified a need and filled it...

Last edited:

ajjohnson

Sep 25, 2006
Where can we sign a petition for the chaplain and against idiots like William David? Stick to music instruction Willy, because you obvious have no clue about the first amendment.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Those professors have no idea what they're talking about. The chaplain is intended to be privately funded without using state funds. As long as they get a pretty openly spiritual guy, I have no qualms with this issue. It becomes a problem when it becomes a team rule to attend church on Sundays. Hiring someone for our football players to confide in? Not a problem.

SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
Then it looks like we need to get rid of the Chaplains at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, the military, State and Federal prisons too!! :no6xn:

What a load of crap!

"It's a coercion type of thing." she says.

Coercion? A Chaplain is a resource if you need it. There is a reason why they call them a Chaplain and not a Priest, Minister, Preacher or Rabbi.

Here is a definition from Wikipedia:

A chaplain is typically a member of the clergy serving a group of people who are not organized as a mission or church; lay chaplains are also found in other settings such as universities. For example a chaplain is often attached to a military unit (often known as padre), a private chapel, a ship, a prison, a hospital, a high school, college or especially boarding school, even a parliamentary assembly and so on. In recent years many non-ordained persons have received professional training in chaplaincy and are now appointed as chaplains in schools, hospitals, universities, prisons and elsewhere.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Last time I checked this country was founded by people seeking religous freedom. Players aren't being forced into praying so who cares? In a day where people are shoving tolerance of sexual preference and racial diversity down our throats why aren't people pushing for everyone to preach religions more?

This is what pi$$es me off with today's society. If someone want's to incorporate religous beliefs in school or the work place its not apropriate but we better all take notice of people's sexual preferances or celebrate racial diversity else you are a homophobe or racist. The average American is not racist or homophobic yet these are the 2 biggest things that employers and schools almost choke you with anymore yet don't you dare bring up religion! Sorry, just had to rant on that...

clones11

Apr 2, 2006
Marion
heres another question... what would happen if they said they were going to put a rabbi or somthing like that anything but Christian i would be really curious as to how mad they would be or if this petition would even exist. my guess is they would be oh that is iteresting exposing people to other religions maybe im way off base but it seems to me like the world/Americans that make big deals with separation of curch and state are more concerened with separation of Christianity and state. more and more it is becomingi apparent to me that all religions are good except Christianity in the minds of these radical looneys

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Where can we sign a petition for the chaplain and against idiots like William David? Stick to music instruction Willy, because you obvious have no clue about the first amendment.
I was very surprised to see Dr. David's name in the article. I'm a music major, so I've interacted with Dr. David a great deal. He is a phenomenally intelligent and level-headed man and always seems to have an argument that is not only well-thought out, but practically ironclad. I'm not really sure why he would get involved in something like this. I have enough respect for him that I would at least like to hear an explanation of his reasoning, but as a concept I strongly disagree with this petition. If they keep it up, I'll probably write to both Professor Blumenfeld and Coach Chizik, for whatever that's worth.

The name Warren Blumenfeld sounds awfully familiar. Has he been involved in any other controversies in the last couple years?

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I'm a big proponent of the separation of church and state, but this petition is ridiculous. As long as it's a privately funded resource for the players, I think it's great. I also don't have a problem with coaches at public institutions leading a prayer before the game. The only way I could see this being an issue would be if a dozen players came forward and said they felt uncomfortable because they were forced to attend chapel, but this isn't the case. There are so many important issues out there. Why do people waste their time with non-issues such as this one?

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
Blumenfeld is a professional anti-Christian zealot. He wrote an article for the Alumni magazine this fall that bemoaned the lack of "progress" of the gov't in destroying Christianity's claim to "Christmas".

At least he has an open mind, hmmm?

BTW - In the Army, I have met all kinds of Chaplains, to include Catholic priests, Jewish Rabbis, Muslim Imams and clerics, a Druid and a Wiccan. I wouldn't have a problem going to any one of them, if I had a problem that I felt needed spiritual advice. Mainly because I know that they understand their role, which is to "hook me up" with a faith-based solution if they can, or someone of my own faith if they could not.

Last edited:

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Perhaps we should write a petition saying that, since it's privately funded, and incredibly common among publicly funded institutions, that we should let people do what they want. In other words, give them freedom.

That is what we're supposed to be all about in this country, right?