PFF college football post on ISU offense

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
He's got a point here, it's hard to tell how good he'll be based on the games last year. I think he's good and has potential however the OL will play a big role in his performance. OL last year was terrible in run blocking, if that can change this year I think he has big play ability. He did have lots of big runs last season, I get KSU was snowy but BYU and TCU were normal. He needs to be able to build trust in the OL to create holes off the ball...
This is similar to my take. Sama is just a much different back than we've been used to with DM and BH. Those two were incredible at breaking takles and making their own holes which was fortunate as our OL was not great. It remains to be seen if Sama can develop those traits, but early returns are that he can be limited if the holes are not there. On the flip side, he can take it to the house better than any back we've ever had. If the OL can create some seams for him on a consistant basis, he'll be great, but that is a big 'if'.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
David Montgomery's freshman year
View attachment 129192
And if you look at Sama he followed a very similar trajectory. Got better as the season went along with the exception of two games. Against Texas, which probably had the best D line in the country, and against Memphis, which was a bad game all around for the team.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I hope so. What we saw last year was inconsistency. He’d have one decent game and disappear in the next. I want to see (yes we were spoiled) the same consistency game-to-game as we had with Montgomery and Hall.
He was a true freshman. Cut him some slack. Excited to see him and our other young guys improve this fall.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
He was a true freshman. Cut him some slack. Excited to see him and our other young guys improve this fall.
So what? Everyone is making him to be the second coming without giving him a chance to prove it through improvement. If he has a decent line I expect/hope to see good things this year. Some of you need to relax a bit.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It’s called consistency…that’s what I’ve referred to all along. He's been feast or famine. I want to see him be consistent from game to game. He has the potential to do it…he just needs to.
Good running backs "consistently" break long runs for touchdowns. To try and discount them in any way makes no sense.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Evidence would suggest they'll come out slow again and improve as the season goes on, get 8ish wins.

Really only one of his teams didn't seem to improve much and that was the 3-0 2022 start including a bad football fest at Iowa.
What does the evidence say about 11 returning starters on offense, nine on defense?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What does the evidence say about 11 returning starters on offense, nine on defense?

There isn't evidence for that outcome since it hasn't happened yet.

I'd guess an experienced 7-8ish win team.

Maybe go from somewhat decent to more decent.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone