#1: What if we put...
#2: No......
ce5c289971baae59854e2271f6281f7b.gif

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
PFF is just a bunch of guys sitting in their basement with a quirky grading scale. Please ignore them.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Just take a deep breath and note that PFF all conference teams are probably based on their overall grades and grades are not a cumulative stat, they're the grade on a player's average play.

Breece led the league in rushing but amongst the 7 players with 1000 yards he was only tied for 4th in yards per attempt.

Reactions: barometriclow

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Theyre not a legitimate analytics site so just ignore them and theyll go away. They do this for attention and notoriety. The problem is when thousands of fans retweet their outrage, theyre getting exactly what they want

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I wouldn't even put Deuce in the top half of the conference for running backs. Hall, Brown, Brooks, Smith, Robinson and I might even put Warren ahead of him. Facing those guys scares me a lot more than Deuce Vaughn.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Although I enjoy the outrage here over "Deuce on the Loose," you clearly have a point. My #1 back is Breece Hall this year.

Deuce is a good RB. Nobody here is arguing that he isn't. I think he's a good kid and a good RB. But the fact that Bijon and Deuce are ahead of Breece simply causes others outside of the conference to ridicule the B12 worse than they already do.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Theyre not a legitimate analytics site so just ignore them and theyll go away. They do this for attention and notoriety. The problem is when thousands of fans retweet their outrage, theyre getting exactly what they want
They're not analytics in the usual sense though. They are not trying to be analytics. PFF is strictly film based. They're a useful site to pair with traditional and modern analytics to help answer "is this player good? great? bad?"

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
this is the first i've heard of CF folks hating on PFF. we all know that some numbers don't tell the whole story. Deuce had an efficient season, and Breece had a couple of "clunkers" towards the end that hurt him statistically. Breece has had plenty of high praise from PFF in the past, so i find it hard to believe they have any bias against him. they have also rated Kolar and Rose highly in the recent past, not to mention Montgomery.

• Agree
Reactions: Iastfan112

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
PFF grades film supposedly. Not analytics of stats.

they do create some stats from film that aren't captured live in-game by sports statisticians, and then analyze those stats, but i don't think it's as arbitrary as you are out to make it.

EDIT: scratch my last point, you clarified below

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
they do create some stats from film that aren't captured live in-game by sports statisticians, and then analyze those stats, but i don't think it's as arbitrary as you are out to make it.
My point wasn't clearly stated. They aren't analyzing stats like other composites do. They are analyzing the players individual plays during the game, and the stats generated from that are what is analyzed. Wasn't meaning to denigrate.

• Agree
Reactions: cdface

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron