PG Top Recruiting Priority

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The DM Cyclone Club had an event on Friday and I heard G-Mac mentioned the top recruiting priority with the 2 open scholarships is to bring in a PG for next year. Staff might bank the 2nd open scholarship and has concerns the APR may take a scholarship away from ISU. ISU will petition for Brister & Vette's leaving not to count against ISU's APR. Not sure if he is looking for HS or JUCO kid. Does that surprise anyone?

I would have thought that with Garrett and Buckley we would be in pretty good shape at PG next year. Could be that G-Mac sees Garrett as more of a combo guard- with Diante, Wesley & Lucca sharing minutes at the 2/3 positions over the next couple years. Maybe Wesley slides inside & plays 5-10mpg.

He also spoke highly of the big men recruits. Hamilton lacks basketball instincts since he just took up the game- but Mac likes his athleticism. Mac likes Mann's game and thinks he'll bring a toughness that our current post guys lack.

Mac was a bit late to the luncheon because he & TJ were heading out on a recruiting trip- I believe to Gary Indiana. Anybody have an idea about potential recruits in that area? Not sure if there was a JUCO/Prep School or HS tournament in the area.

Last edited:

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
That does surprise me....I'd rather they focus on a big, but, hey, I'm not a coach. Diante has never struck me as having a good enough shot to be a combo guard.

I think Darius Stevens is from Gary.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It does kind of surprise me, but I have no idea what to expect from Mann and Hamilton. I would think he'd be okay going into the season with Garrett and Buckley as well, but with the injuries we've had this year I could really see the desire to increase the depth in the backcourt.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Good to hear him going on a recruiting trip to gary indiana where darius lives. We could really use him, barnes, and dykstra

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
This team is extremely short on guards...

You can never have enough good guards.

Next year we will only have Diante and Lucca as Big 12 caliber guards.

Add Wes and Buckley and that is still only 4, with 2 of them with NO college experience. I wouldnt see why we wouldnt go for another guard.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
That does surprise me....I'd rather they focus on a big, but, hey, I'm not a coach. Diante has never struck me as having a good enough shot to be a combo guard.

I think Darius Stevens is from Gary.b

There was once a soph at North Carolina who didn't shoot well enough from outside to be a wing. Kid named Jordan.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
There was once a soph at North Carolina who didn't shoot well enough from outside to be a wing. Kid named Jordan.

There was also a man with a mustache once. His name was Hitler. You know, if we're going with unrelated hyperbole.

Last edited:

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
I haven't seen many of the games, but Garrett seems to dribble too high and lack the handle of a true point guard. I don't want to hang all of our point guard hopes on Buckley for the foreseeable future, because who knows what could happen. PG would still be my #1 concern if I was the coach.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I haven't seen many of the games, but Garrett seems to dribble too high and lack the handle of a true point guard. I don't want to hang all of our point guard hopes on Buckley for the foreseeable future, because who knows what could happen. PG would still be my #1 concern if I was the coach.

Garret has a great, great handle. Better than anyone we have had since Tinsley. Garrett struggles managing the game at times, and that is what he needs to work on. His handle is not his problem.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
We have the 2nd best player in Mich. whom is a PG coming next year who will split time with Diante at the 1 spot. I dont see why they are going after a PG when they really need a defensive center/big man to take the defensive pressure off of Brackins. Right now it either Alex, CJ, or Mann that will play center. We need a wide body that can take a few bumbs down low.

Guards rule college bball, so ican understand wanting another one, but whomever he is, he'll be 3rd string and see very lil time next year. I guess we need to look long term, but next year will be year 3.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
We have the 2nd best player in Mich. whom is a PG coming next year who will split time with Diante at the 1 spot. I dont see why they are going after a PG when they really need a defensive center/big man to take the defensive pressure off of Brackins. Right now it either Alex, CJ, or Mann that will play center. We need a wide body that can take a few bumbs down low.

Guards rule college bball, so ican understand wanting another one, but whomever he is, he'll be 3rd string and see very lil time next year. I guess we need to look long term, but next year will be year 3.

Then why is he playing SG on his high school team?

lennon3

Apr 11, 2006
How can you say for sure that he will be the 3rd string?? If we can somehow get Appleton I would take him over any likely big man this late, and if we did get him he would more than likely start for us with Buckley having time to learn behind us. I think that would be an awesome scenerio.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Then why is he playing SG on his high school team?

He is now playing shooting guard because his HS team lost their two top scorers from last year and Dominique had greatly improved his shooting. He is now counted on to provide the majority of the scoring although he was not the leading scorer in their last win. They are now 4-0. His HS coach thinks his team can take a deep run, if not go all the way, in the state tournament.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006

And CJ and Mann aren't quite your normal center....

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
And CJ and Mann aren't quite your normal center....

No they aren't. they could possibly get the job done, but i juco big man might be nice as well.

A lot of people on her e beg and plead for big men every year, but this year its somewhat valid. If AT can pick up his game, why not.

clones11

Apr 2, 2006
Marion
garrett doesnt have better handles than blalock had so im not sure where you see him as having the best since tinsely. garrett will be a good player for us in the future but right now hes too small doesnt shoot very well can penetrate but hasnt been able to finish. i agree with getting a true PG from juco that has big 12 size and cna help us out for the next coupkle years until our highschoolers turn into studs

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
garrett doesnt have better handles than blalock had so im not sure where you see him as having the best since tinsely. garrett will be a good player for us in the future but right now hes too small doesnt shoot very well can penetrate but hasnt been able to finish. i agree with getting a true PG from juco that has big 12 size and cna help us out for the next coupkle years until our highschoolers turn into studs

Agree 100,000 percent. Blalock was very good and had an excellent handle. If he could hit a 15-20 foot jumper he would be a millionaire.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron