Phog Allen can bite me

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Good grief, just for boredom's sake, I checked out phog.net. Well that was a mistake, there is a thread there crapping on Hilton as if it threatens KU's existence. Note to stupid KU fans: Teams other than KU actually have difficult home arenas, even in the Big12. You are not the only one. You have been fortunate to win at Hilton more often than others, which I expect to end this season.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
All ESPN has been hyping lately is Hilton Magic and how ISU can be the team to dethrone KU. Of course they are going to feel threatened. And here is what I say in reply to the phog.net

good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you.jpg

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
I, for one, am shocked another fanbase's forum would feel they are superior to us. I'm just glad no one on CF talks trash about fans of other teams

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
As someone who lives in KC and has been around numerous KU fans here's what you need to understand...

KU fans think the basketball world revolves around KU...they think their program is the cat's meow and so should everyone else...nothing in the universe is on par with the greatness that is KU basketball and everything associated with KU basketball...anything that contradicts the aforementioned is met with contempt and is poo-poo'd upon.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The thing that got me was the complete unawareness of anything not directly involving KU that happened in the conference for the past 4 years. Never mind that nobody else is beating us at Hilton, the homecourt advantage must not be real because KU has had our number the past couple years.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I, for one, am shocked another fanbase's forum would feel they are superior to us. I'm just glad no one on CF talks trash about fans of other teams

Yes. That's exactly it. Don't be dense.

There is a difference between feeling superior and recognizing the strengths of others. phog.net appears to think any other home court advantage is slight against their place in the world.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
The thing that got me was the complete unawareness of anything not directly involving KU that happened in the conference for the past 4 years. Never mind that nobody else is beating us at Hilton, the homecourt advantage must not be real because KU has had our number the past couple years.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say they've had our number....they've won some pretty evenly matched games in Ames. A few things going the other way in a few of those games and KU loses.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
http://kansas.scout.com/forums/2481-hoops-talk/13574031-hilton-magic-not-a-thing?s=172

Here's pretty much the only awful post from that thread.

The place is pretty dead during your average game. Only gets fired up when a team comes in that can really stoke the fire of that state-school insecurity. "Octagon of Doom" is a carbon copy.

All the other posts seem semi-reasonable, especially for a rival's forum.

"State-school insecurity" did make me chuckle, considering ISU and KU are tied in the USNWR rankings... and ISU is 36 spots better than KU in Forbes rankings.

Last edited:

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
And how long ago was that?
Since Hilton Magic came about after the Barry Stevens game winner against Mizzou in 1983, Kansas has lost 14 times in Hilton Coliseum. Eleven of those times they were ranked in the top 25. What wins they do have, a good chunk of them have been single digit/overtime/screw job wins, even in the "he who shall not be named" era we had a competitive game with KU. To think that KU just has their way with us in Hilton is laughable. I look forward to slapping them around on Saturday. Go Cyclones!

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Well, at least our message board is better than theirs. Phog.net is the junkiest piece of junky **** out there, and the content there is full of ripping on their own players.

No wonder TwoCoach posts here!

not :pcute:, but Hilton is the shizz

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Since Hilton Magic came about after the Barry Stevens game winner against Mizzou in 1983, Kansas has lost 14 times in Hilton Coliseum. Eleven of those times they were ranked in the top 25. What wins they do have, a good chunk of them have been single digit/overtime/screw job wins, even in the "he who shall not be named" era we had a competitive game with KU. To think that KU just has their way with us in Hilton is laughable. I look forward to slapping them around on Saturday. Go Cyclones!

14 losses in the record book, add 10-20% for games KU lost but were rigged, you have about 16-17 wins over KU in Hilton since '83. Needs to get better, but not horrendous.

Last edited: