Physical play vs FOULS

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Big 12 needs to think about having 4 refs on the floor. I just think the game has changed so much. I want to blame refs sometimes but that job is really hard in the big 12

Reactions: rosshm16

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
The ones that irk me are when a defender is backing away with his arms straight up and gets called for a foul. He has a right to defend and a right to exist in space. It's either a no call or a charge, and it was called a block all game.
Yeah, that annoys me, too. The worst one was the foul on King towards the end of the game. Because of the situation, King was explicitly not fouling by backing away and keeping his arms straight up, not really even contesting the shot that much, offensive player created all the contact, and it was called a foul on King. I'm glad it didn't end up mattering, but that kept the door open for UCF for another possession.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Thought I was watching us play the Magic with a few of those continuation calls. Honestly, officiating across the board in CBB isn't great as a whole. I will also admit its gotta be hard to officiate a Big 12 game.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Thought I was watching us play the Magic with a few of those continuation calls. Honestly, officiating across the board in CBB isn't great as a whole. I will also admit its gotta be hard to officiate a Big 12 game.
Yes, the first they called a shooting foul and it was clearly before the shot. The second they got right although initially it looked like they were going to call it a shooting foul.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He’s a really good player, but he reminds me of some past PGs that have a tendency to get really sloppy when trying to force themselves inside down low. He makes some bad decisions and he’s stuck just tossing the ball over his back towards the hoop or randomly tossing it and it getting stolen. When he plays under control and within himself, he’s great. When he tries to be a dynamic shot creator, he gets overwhelmed.
IMO a big reason for this is lack of mid-range game by most guards. That is where Monte was so special, he avoided turnovers and taking unnecessary contact because he had a lethal floater.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
Check out Rob Jones at Kansas two years ago. Second half.
Just because it might have been called wrong once does not mean I want it to be called that way again. I'm not believer that past calls should matter. I watched the replay yesterday, I don't think that should ever be a flagrant as would not be fair to post player. Of a guard wants to double then he risks being hit when he draws the charge

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
the two on the floor fouls that were called continuation were ********* calls.

Those were my only complaints. I thought it was pretty well officiated, but especially that second continuation was horrible.

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
So many of our opponents guard with one hand out touching the offensive player. Used to be they had the "hot stove" rule where you could touch an offensive player but not continually- that rule seems to have gone.

But watch Lipsey and our guards they rarely reach out. They guard with their arms out to their sides and guard with their bodies. At least that is what I see.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Yeah, that annoys me, too. The worst one was the foul on King towards the end of the game. Because of the situation, King was explicitly not fouling by backing away and keeping his arms straight up, not really even contesting the shot that much, offensive player created all the contact, and it was called a foul on King. I'm glad it didn't end up mattering, but that kept the door open for UCF for another possession.
Similarly, there have been quite a few times this year where our player is boxing out an opponent on a rebound, pushing their hips/rump backwards into them as is normal and standard technique for a good box-out, then the opponent leaves his feet to jump over our player's back, our player stumbles backwards, opponent gets undercut, and it's called a foul on us.

I don't know what, if anything, the rulebook says about this specifically.

Re: Lipsey, he had a great midrange game earlier in the year. I think he must still be hurting and it's affecting the shots he's able to take.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
The last thing Iowa State wants is a tight whistle.

I thought today was pretty consistent. Such a hard game to officiate.
I would hate to officiate a isu or Houston game. As aggressive as both teams are you could almost call a foul on us every play if you’re calling it tight. This is a big reason coaches are getting technicals vs us and opposing players are always frustrated lol

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
the two on the floor fouls that were called continuation were ********* calls.
I completely agree, Both of the times the player took a step and maybe a dribble after the foul then shot it. Should have not been shooting fouls.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
ISU just played a three game stretch against the #1, #29, and #10 defenses in the country. These games won't always look pretty.
Two of those on the road.

The 16 minutes of offensive struggles in the first half vs Oklahoma was a little worrisome (16 points with 4 minutes left in the first half). Some of that was missing easy-ish shots and most of it was little-to-no movement on offense. Movement was much better in the 2nd half, but shot making was still lacking.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
ISU just played a three game stretch against the #1, #29, and #10 defenses in the country. These games won't always look pretty.
Especially when we're essentially playing out the string in some non-marquee games. We saw how much the guys got up for that game against Houston (and how Houston got up for it too and gave us their full attention).

It's hard enough to get mentally up for these types of games enough to win, and honestly pretty unusual to get so dialed in that you look like you're on top of your game in them.