Picture or video of last play

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Does anyone have or know of a picuture or video clip of that Arnaud to Darks Overthrow against Kansas? I got a guy here at work that says that play was not even close and that the guys in the crowd had a better shot than Darks did at catching it.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
They might have the highlight reel on one of the local news websites. I've seen it replayed on KCCI sports a couple times.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Does anyone have or know of a picuture or video clip of that Arnaud to Darks Overthrow against Kansas? I got a guy here at work that says that play was not even close and that the guys in the crowd had a better shot than Darks did at catching it.

It was probably 3 yards ahead of his outstretch arms. AA threw a little to much of a bullet.

clonefan98

Apr 12, 2006
The ball was overthrown, but that doesn't change the fact that the opportunity was there. KU dodged a bullet, plain and simple.

st8phan

Nov 7, 2007
Columbia
If he dove, he could have touched it for sure... Right when they showed the replay my thought was, "I wish he would have at least dove for it..." I think Rhoads basically said the same thing after the game.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
If he dove, he could have touched it for sure... Right when they showed the replay my thought was, "I wish he would have at least dove for it..." I think Rhoads basically said the same thing after the game.

I don't think he could have. It was a good 2 yards in front of him.

kcclone33

Dec 15, 2008
Ames
It was also a broken play, no one seems to aknowledge that, i dont think it was even supposed to be a shot at the endzone. That said Arnaud can throw a better ball than that, and Darks can make a better effort.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I don't think he could have. It was a good 2 yards in front of him.

This. I watched it a couple of times. It was pretty well out of his reach. It was a good throw though. If it would have been a little shorter, there is no doubt he would have caught it. Centered perfectly for his hands.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Why does everyone keep saying that a dive would have made it closer? You've got to set yourself up pretty well to make a dive effective and when you're in scramble mode not sure where the ball is going to be, setting yourself up for that dive is probably going to slow you down. There is probably going to be a stutter step in there to make sure you're diving off your best foot. I think is best chance was running for it and a dive just would have given everyone a warm fuzzy and would have actually hampered his chances to catch the ball. Kind of like diving into first base hampers your chance at an infield hit.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This. I watched it a couple of times. It was pretty well out of his reach. It was a good throw though. If it would have been a little shorter, there is no doubt he would have caught it. Centered perfectly for his hands.

Or if Darks had gone straight up field instead of angling to the corner when he got behind the defense. In the split second play, he and Arnaud just made different reads/decisions. It's neither's fault, but it would have been sweet to make that play.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
I would say it was closer to 5 yards or more as he was at least 2 steps behind the ball and it was thrown to the wrong shoulder (not faulting the QB as he was under a lot of pressure). There is no way Darks would have touched it diving.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
IMHO, It was both a nice throw by AA and a good effort by Darks.

AA was side pedaling, even back pedaling a little to buy time. He threw basically off of his back foot back to his right, just as he was about to be hit by a defender. Threw it to a spot where Darks could try to make a play.

I haven't seen a replay, but I don't even think Darks was running a post. Seems like it was more of a crossing pattern. He had to shift his momentum just to make a play on it. If the play was designed to go into the endzone, I think the KU defenders would have been in better position. There were 3 of them (I think) and none were able to make a play on the ball.

Overall, I think it was a good effort that just didn't quite work.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Rhoads said he wished that Darks would've "layed out for it". Don't think he was saying he would've caught it ... but it certainly would've served as a great example of giving the 110% PR is seeking from his players. Every team needs leaders ... both vocal and those who let their actions do the talking.

Reactions: Aaron Jacobs

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I'd have to watch the replay but it seemed like Darks was running so hard after it, that he didn't have good enough balance and timing to dive for it.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'd have to watch the replay but it seemed like Darks was running so hard after it, that he didn't have good enough balance and timing to dive for it.

Speaking of running so hard after it, does anyone know what changed for DD this last game? All of a sudden he is back in the mix and catching passes. Is his timing improving? Is he healthier than earlier in the season?
Either way, I am really happy to see him back in the mix. Now if we could just get Sed back on track.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
IMHO, It was both a nice throw by AA and a good effort by Darks.

AA was side pedaling, even back pedaling a little to buy time. He threw basically off of his back foot back to his right, just as he was about to be hit by a defender. Threw it to a spot where Darks could try to make a play.

I haven't seen a replay, but I don't even think Darks was running a post. Seems like it was more of a crossing pattern. He had to shift his momentum just to make a play on it. If the play was designed to go into the endzone, I think the KU defenders would have been in better position. There were 3 of them (I think) and none were able to make a play on the ball.

Overall, I think it was a good effort that just didn't quite work.

correct

Broken play, throw it to an open spot, receivers break to open spots. That is the type of play, that if successful, that will be the dagger in the heart of many of our football adversaries in the future. Great reaction by Arnaud and Darks. We will get our share of those.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He could have dove for it, and would not have caught it...

Either way I don't care, no need to risk further injury to a banged up guy laying out just for the sake of laying out.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I haven't seen a replay. But my lasting impression was that it wasn't all that close. I think 2-3 yards is extremely generous. I'd say closer to 5+.

I don't think it's a case of bad effort by Darks, but rather AA not giving him a chance. He was about to get crushed, but it was almost like he was throwing it away. First words out of my mouth were to "put it up there and give a receiver a chance".

It's over. I don't think there's any blame to be had. But if anything, it was a bad throw more than a bad play by Darks.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Or if Darks had gone straight up field instead of angling to the corner when he got behind the defense. In the split second play, he and Arnaud just made different reads/decisions. It's neither's fault, but it would have been sweet to make that play.

Exactly. That is what happened. Darks was angling towards the direction Arnaud was scrambling to, and Arnaud threw a straight fly pattern to Darks. So close.

Diving would not have changed anything since he couldn't have reached it anyway.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Broken play, throw it to an open spot, receivers break to open spots. That is the type of play, that if successful, that will be the dagger in the heart of many of our football adversaries in the future. Great reaction by Arnaud and Darks. We will get our share of those.

Sadly, we experienced the worst side of both in two weeks. 3rd and goal from the 17, KSU throws up a pass on a busted route that is caught for a TD. Another late scramble, off balance throw, another TD for KSU.

ISU throws up a pass to win and can't connect. KU escapes.

Sometimes it just sucks to be us.