Pizza Delivery

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Ames - Pizza Pit, Great Plains, Happy Joes

Ankeny - we end up getting Godfathers or Caseys

P-Hill - Bella Italia (awesome meatball stuffed pizza!)

Des Moines - There is a pizza place north of Euclid on 14th St. Some friends of ours brought over some pizza and wings from there and it was GOOD! Daytona's pizza and wings is a fav too. You can get a Medium pizza and a pitcher of beer for $10.99 on Sunday nights.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Dang, Godfather's in Ames closed!?!? I knew the one by Casey's did. Lots of memories for me there as I worked there during college.

Godfather's is now delivery-only, and is located in the small building next to Campus Book Store -- formerly a U.S. Cellular store, I believe.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
DaVinci's closed?!?!?! BUMMER. I used to like Pizza House on the corner of Welch and Lincoln Way but it's been closed for a long time.

DaVinci's closed over Christmas in 2004. I got an e-mail while I was in Shreveport for Independence Bowl II -- 'thanks for your patronage, blah blah blah, regret to inform of our closing, yada yada yada.'

C

Cyclone42

Not delivery, but... Papy Murphy's

I love take-and-bake. What I especially love about these guys is that they make the pizza(s) right in front of you, like Subway, so you can really customize your pizza. For instance, I like to put all the meat toppings under all the cheeses, instead of on top of the cheeses like everybody else does it. I can't think of anybody else who will let you micro-manage the making of a pizza like this.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
When I'm in Ames - Great Plains is a must. Heck, I've driven up to Ames from DSM for GP.

But down here, for me, nothing beats Happy Joes Taco Supreme.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Ankeny- Godfathers when parents are paying.

Ames- Domino's when I'm paying because it's close to dorm and cheap.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
Wow! 50 posts and only one mention of Pappa Murphy's.
In WDM, PM is definately the way to go.
In Huxley, Casey's was always a must, but it was the only thing in town.

I'm just glad the Pizza Hut in Ankeny closed. Only went there once and it was aweful. Our waitress got sick right before our pizza was done cooking. She came out to us and said she was going home, and if we were going to give her a tip, could we give it to her now. We politely declined.

isuclone89

Oct 23, 2007
Medical Lake, WA
I doubt if it's still there but i always thought the best pizza in Ames was Minskies (sp). I think they closed not long after I was gone. They also never delivered. Great Plains was my next choice.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I hated Pizza Pit...first bite would always pull all the cheese off and the sauce would burn the crap out of the roof of your mouth.

I hate Pizza Pit, too. Way too greasy.

They don't deliver, but Old George's in Ames has the best thin-crust pizza around.

Yup, Minsky's in Ames is gone. The one in Nevada is still around.

lomashad

Oct 19, 2006
Dominoes used to have a 3 for $10. This has been awhile ago. You could live off of that for a week. Not bad pizza either!

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I'm a big Papa Murphy's fan - great pizza and very cheap (always good coupons available).

For sit-down pizza in Ames, you can't be Great Plains.

And for order-in pizza, papa john's is great. just can't be pepperoni and pineapple pizza!

kuney1

Mar 20, 2006
I am also a fan of Pasquales in Humboldt. We also like to buy their breakfast pizza in the frozen foods section of the grocery store. Big hit the morning after.

Pasqualies is very good it you like thin crust. If ever in Creston check out A&G Pizza. It won't disappoint and the owner's daughter is a plus to look at too.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The only way I could eat that crap was if it was loaded with toppings. Single topping pizza was really greasy and was not that good. I think they have one in Des Moines still.

You obviously weren't drunk enough. I think we ended every night with cheesey bread from Home Team and maybe a couple of pizza's, always delivered with us as cargo (I still want my comission from Captain Morgan's for stealing that).

Now all we ever get is Felix and Oscars and Beaverdale Pizza. Can't go wrong either way!

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I don't understand how so many of you are saying Great Plains is a nice pizza joint. I would rather dine in for a hometeam.

Its expensive, the dough was the hardest, chewiest, and most tasteless crust I have ever had, the service was horrible, and worst of all the line people were practically leaning over our pizza as they waited in line. My girlfriend and I ate one piece each, was disgusted and just left it there.

As sad as it is, papa murphys is the best pizza place in Ames. Also, we used to make pretty tasty pizzas when I worked at the C-store in the UDCC (but we weren't supposed to).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron