Place Your Bechts

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
(Not trying to complicate the QB situation; but) watch the senior highlight video of preferred walk-on freshman QB Wyatt Bohm. That kid is an athlete, and is very good at quarterbacking a football team. He was the starting QB for two seasons. He passed for 5,623 yards, with 59 TD passes.

link to junior highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/12589171/619306c304282b0898dc9ff5

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone and Frog

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
What I don't like is as recently as Big 12 media days, Campbell was blowing smoke up everybody's a$$ about how good Hunter has looked this offseason, working hard etc. WTF, Matt?
at this point, I don't even care to listen to Matt. He's a good coach, but we never get anything from him in any presser....he's the most coach speak coach I think I've ever heard

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
(Not trying to complicate the QB situation; but) watch the senior highlight video of preferred walk-on freshman QB Wyatt Bohm. That kid is an athlete, and is very good at quarterbacking a football team. He was the starting QB for two seasons. He passed for 5,623 yards, with 59 TD passes.

link to junior highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/12589171/619306c304282b0898dc9ff5
Wyatt is a big QB, seems to have good presence, situational awareness, and has a good arm. We may be very happy we have him one day. He also shows some escapability and some nice passes on the run.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Whatever talent Dekkers had, he had zero feel for the game. No pocket awareness, did t know when to scramble or throw the ball away. Kohl is probably the future but Becht can hopefully be a serviceable QB.
Dekkers did fine given he had no protection, no running game, and only one target worth a crap. If those things don’t change, Becht will also get the hell beat out of him and throw a bunch of picks. Then rinse and repeat with Kohl next year. You end up with a string of guys who look good early on but by the end of the season are gunshy shells of their former selves. This is Rhoads level QB musical chairs unless Campbell can fix the OL.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Dekkers did fine given he had no protection, no running game, and only one target worth a crap. If those things don’t change, Becht will also get the hell beat out of him and throw a bunch of picks. Then rinse and repeat with Kohl next year. You end up with a string of guys who look good early on but by the end of the season are gunshy shells of their former selves. This is Rhoads level QB musical chairs unless Campbell can fix the OL.

Dekkers had poor judgement at times and turned the ball over too much. Bad decisions. We paid for the bad decisions he made on the football field. Dekkers will pay for the bad decisions he made off the football field. Wasted talent and potential. Sad.

Reactions: Dowwmeow

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Dekkers had poor judgement at times and turned the ball over too much. Bad decisions. We paid for the bad decisions he made on the football field. Dekkers will pay for the bad decisions he made off the football field. Wasted talent and potential. Sad.
Yes, he did make bad decisions on the field. But how much of that was the fact that he had no running game (after Brock got hurt), poor protection that limited the route tree, and only one reliable WR? He was far from good, but even an nfl QB would struggle in that offense. That’s what needs fixed more than anything.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Whatever talent Dekkers had, he had zero feel for the game. No pocket awareness, did t know when to scramble or throw the ball away. Kohl is probably the future but Becht can hopefully be a serviceable QB.
Don't forget not knowing when to turn up field. I don't know how many times he scrambled to the sidelines never taking a single one of the running lanes up field that he ran by. Sometimes you need to just tuck and take the 2-4 yards the D is giving you. Especially when you are a big guy and can get an extra 2 trucking a D-back in the process.

Reactions: Peter

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Wyatt is a big QB, seems to have good presence, situational awareness, and has a good arm. We may be very happy we have him one day. He also shows some escapability and some nice passes on the run.
Looking forward to seeing him hold on kicks this year and maybe run a fake once or twice.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Looking forward to seeing him hold on kicks this year and maybe run a fake once or twice.
Sure! ISU v OU, 19-20 after a long ISU TD led by Rocco Becht, 11 sec. left in the game. "Iowa State is going for the tie in Norman. Hold on! It's a fake kick, Wyatt Bohm is running left, running for his life, now throws to Noel in the end zone, he's got it! A 2 point conversion by Iowa State!! Wyatt Bohm, the freshman walkon QB, to Jaylin Noel! Iowa State leads Oklahoma 21-20 with 3 seconds to play! Do you believe in miracles?!"

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Yes, he did make bad decisions on the field. But how much of that was the fact that he had no running game (after Brock got hurt), poor protection that limited the route tree, and only one reliable WR? He was far from good, but even an nfl QB would struggle in that offense. That’s what needs fixed more than anything.

We had other problems as well. Turning the ball over. Bad decisions. Still happened when he did get protection.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
We had other problems as well. Turning the ball over. Bad decisions. Still happened when he did get protection.
I don’t disagree with you. But it’s tough to say how much is his fault vs being gunshy from being hit too much. We have a long line of QBs that looked really good their first few starts and about a year later, they were being replaced by the next big thing because they sucked all of a sudden. Why is that? Because they’re getting hit too much. Purdy is the only QB in the last 15 years to start all 12 games in a season. That’s not bad QB play or players, that’s worst OL in P5 year after year after year.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Again just a couch take but I got the impression that Dekkers is/wasn't great with constructive criticism from coaches which wouldn't help the cause.

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
Coach Campbell said in the press conference that he's excited about the competition there is at quarterback. Over the years my thought is that when a coach says it's actually code-talk which means that you have a problem at quarterback. And usually it means a BIG problem at quarterback. Especially if the coach is saying it coming into the fall. You'd rather have at least one that is head and shoulders above the rest.

However, under this circumstance I don't feel that way. Dekkers was #1. But suddenly he's gone. So yeah, the response two to three days after the news breaks about losing your #1 is that there is a competition at quarterback.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
It may or may not be a factor but if you are a starting QB on a P5 team, 100% of your mental focus has to be on your job. You can’t be sitting in the film room thinking in the back of your mind about the point spread and how much to place on a game. I trust this is a wake up call for Campbell and the team. I hope the RB’s are healthy because they will be key on whether the 3 QB’s have a chance. Whoever starts better be ready because they will be yanked pretty quick if they make mistakes. I think all 3 are being considered as starters with the JC QB slightly below Rocco & Kohl.
Speaking of RBs, anybody hear how many games Jirehl will get?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron