Player that Showed Up Last Night

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
We have been talking about the great play of Leonard Johnson last night, and rightfully so. But I have to say the best looking defender on the team was a guy who has gotten very little time this year, but swallowed up OSUs 1b option, Josh Cooper. Deon Broomfield looked like the player I thought he would be when Chizik brought him in and Rhoads kept him. He was step for step the whole night, and the tackles were made instantly. How he has not played more is beyond me, but he looked great last night

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Deon has been playing GREAT! He also made the tackle on fourth down against Kansas a couple of weeks ago. He's really stepping it up!

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Broomfield seems to really be coming along. On another note I really wish A Gary wouldn't have gotten in trouble. He played a hell of a game last night, catching pretty much everything thrown his way

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
And how about AJ Klein. Seriously. An absolute animal out there.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Jacques Washington had a great game too by forcing OSU's first two turnovers. FF and Int.

I bring up Broomfield because he hasn't got much press from the fans or coaches, but he played the nickel better than Morgan has all year. He really looked like he owned that spot, and I hope he keeps it the rest of the year.

People give Blackmon a ton of props, but OSU spread pushes the sides of the field, and that is where Josh Cooper has made his living. By eliminating that, it allowed everyone else to play their assignments and get the job done.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Just occurred to me, but wasn't the smack talk and after play crap very minimal last night. I guess I don't even remember any flexing or smack going on. I like that!

Z

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
This may not need saying but Jake Knott...I didn't realize til this morning that he tipped that last INT in OT. Game Over.

And ya Broomfield looks huge compared to some of our other DBs. Played great!

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Just occurred to me, but wasn't the smack talk and after play crap very minimal last night. I guess I don't even remember any flexing or smack going on. I like that!

Z

LJ did just the right amount of jawing with Blackmon to not get flagged but frustrate him into ineffectiveness. He will be at home in the NFL

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
the 12th man. maybe it was espn audio visual magic that made the crowd seem phenominal, but on tv it did look stunning, electric and intimidating

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I bring up Broomfield because he hasn't got much press from the fans or coaches, but he played the nickel better than Morgan has all year. He really looked like he owned that spot, and I hope he keeps it the rest of the year.

People give Blackmon a ton of props, but OSU spread pushes the sides of the field, and that is where Josh Cooper has made his living. By eliminating that, it allowed everyone else to play their assignments and get the job done.

I thought both Broomfield and Morgan played well last night. They both ended up with 5 tackles.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I think every guy that played defensively last night played as well as I have ever seen. Really a special performance. They should all be very proud.

Sandman

Oct 13, 2009
France
LJ. Hero of the game in my opinion. I've always been a big fan of Blackmon, so I've seen him play most of his games, and LJ played him as well as I've seen any corner play Blackmon. He did big things for his draft stock last night.

Reactions: VeloClone

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Z

Brackens stood there and talked to **** to the OSU Punt Returner after he got tackled by his own guy. It was awesome.

Agree on Broomfield. He may at least two absolutely huge plays, especially that tackle on Cooper to force the FG.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
LJ. Hero of the game in my opinion. I've always been a big fan of Blackmon, so I've seen him play most of his games, and LJ played him as well as I've seen any corner play Blackmon. He did big things for his draft stock last night.

I saw on Twitter this morning that Blackmon said that LJ "was the most physical DB he's faced all year".

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
After last night I feel much better about our secondary going in to next year. Losing LJ and Benton will hurt a lot, but some of the younger guys showed some real promise.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I know he dropped at least one pass - but Darius Darks made some great catches. I watched the replay and, at least early on, was one of Barnett's favorite receivers. Some people have been pretty hard on Darks in the past, but props go out to him (and all the other players mentioned in this thread).

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think every guy that played defensively last night played as well as I have ever seen. Really a special performance. They should all be very proud.

Perhaps the best overall defensive performance since 2005. Yeah, I know, Nebraska in 2009 and Texas last year. I'll take this game over either of those. We held perhaps the nation's best offense to 17 regulation points and 24 points overall. The D Line got just enough pressure to make Weeden uncomfortable. The defense outright shut down OSU's running game. The LBs were making plays all over the field. The only catches Blackmon really got were highlight-caliber catches because that's just how good LJ's coverage was last night, and no other WR went off on us. Weeden was forced to go to his safety valve a lot more often than he wanted to, which means ISU wasn't giving up the big play. Not to mention 5 huge turnovers. Yeah, they gave up a lot of yards, but the defense kept OSU out of the endzone. Best overall defensive performance in a LONG time.

Career game for LJ. Perhaps career-making. I agree with the assessment - the guy made $$$ last night. The only time Blackmon was productive was on catches that were outright indefensible. IMO LJ will look great in Atlanta red, Baltimore purple, or Detroit blue! :biggrin: