Players who have surprised so far

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Agree TJ is one hell of a safety against the run but seems to struggle against the pass. The INT was literally right in his lap, but he's been suspect in coverage over the first 3 games.
While I agree with those who say Mutcherson and Cotton-Moya, I need to see how they react to their first true spread-em-out offensive scheme. Pretty much just teams running Pro Style offenses so far, and they have shined against that to a certain extent. I expect there to be a few (not a ton) gaffs against the Baylors and Texas Tech air-raids of the world.

My surprises so far have been Jevohn Miller, Trent Taylor, Jake Campos, and obviously Sam B. Richardson. Others that people have mentioned are ones that I expected to perform: Tribune, Downing (a punter, so meh), Morrissey, Farniok etc. and others who maybe played well in a game or two (i.e. Medders, Garcia) but have not provided us with consistent well-rounded efforts so far. Need to see more consistency from the D-Line before they earn praise for their effort. As CW and a few other noted on Saturday, those 4 sacks v.s. Iowa were coverage sacks, not due to Iowa State bringing speedy pass rush. That picture of Dale Pierson v.s. Brandon Scherff is almost embarrassing. D-Line needs to beef up and fast.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think as a whole, our DB's tackle as good as any ISU team I can remember. Miller is surprise, he struggled the first 1.5 games but came on when he seemed to get comfy at the MIKE spot. It suits his athleticism better, he's fast enough to play OLB but struggles in space. Just a much better fit in the middle.

On offense, Campos and Lazard stand out to me bc neither play like freshmen. I'm not sure what to think about our RB group yet they haven't got to show much, it seems like Wimberly doesn't have enough shake and Nealy has too much. Nealy def has a unique skill set, he nevers seems like he's running straight but he always seems to be moving upfield. Wimberly is due to bust some long runs as well, seems like he's had few plays where he only had one guy to beat but couldn't quite get by. I think they'll be the most impressive group here on out.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think as a whole, our DB's tackle as good as any ISU team I can remember. Miller is surprise, he struggled the first 1.5 games but came on when he seemed to get comfy at the MIKE spot. It suits his athleticism better, he's fast enough to play OLB but struggles in space. Just a much better fit in the middle.

On offense, Campos and Lazard stand out to me bc neither play like freshmen. I'm not sure what to think about our RB group yet they haven't got to show much, it seems like Wimberly doesn't have enough shake and Nealy has too much. Nealy def has a unique skill set, he nevers seems like he's running straight but he always seems to be moving upfield. Wimberly is due to bust some long runs as well, seems like he's had few plays where he only had one guy to beat but couldn't quite get by. I think they'll be the most impressive group here on out.
I think and expect the running game to finally take off now that we've faced probably the top 3 rush defenses we'll see all year (besides OU)

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I've also been surprised by Ferch. I think we are all kind of waiting for Brackens to pass him up, but his play has been pretty solid so far. Not a World beater by any measure, but he's been where he needs to be for the most part.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
While I agree with those who say Mutcherson and Cotton-Moya, I need to see how they react to their first true spread-em-out offensive scheme. Pretty much just teams running Pro Style offenses so far, and they have shined against that to a certain extent. I expect there to be a few (not a ton) gaffs against the Baylors and Texas Tech air-raids of the world.

My surprises so far have been Jevohn Miller, Trent Taylor, Jake Campos, and obviously Sam B. Richardson. Others that people have mentioned are ones that I expected to perform: Tribune, Downing (a punter, so meh), Morrissey, Farniok etc. and others who maybe played well in a game or two (i.e. Medders, Garcia) but have not provided us with consistent well-rounded efforts so far. Need to see more consistency from the D-Line before they earn praise for their effort. As CW and a few other noted on Saturday, those 4 sacks v.s. Iowa were coverage sacks, not due to Iowa State bringing speedy pass rush. That picture of Dale Pierson v.s. Brandon Scherff is almost embarrassing. D-Line needs to beef up and fast.

Pierson is a speed rusher who's listed at 6'2" and 254 lbs. Plenty big for a defensive end, at least bigger than a lot of d-ends we've had in the past.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Mostly surprised by Medders. Didn't think he'd even see the field this year (injuries + whatever the hell is up with Montgomery changed that) but instead he's become, IMO, our third most productive receiver we still have. Lazard has only surprised me in the sense that I didn't expect him to be on the field this much yet, but his performance hasn't surprised too much. Jevohn Miller has surprised me too.

This one might not make sense to some, but I have been surprised by Morrissey. We heard a lot about him this offseason and how he would be much improved and ready to take over the defense, but I didn't bite. I can't remember the last time we've had a really good pass rusher... So far, he's looking like he'll fit that bill.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This one might not make sense to some, but I have been surprised by Morrissey. We heard a lot about him this offseason and how he would be much improved and ready to take over the defense, but I didn't bite. I can't remember the last time we've had a really good pass rusher... So far, he's looking like he'll fit that bill.[/QUOTE]

Jason Berryman, RIP

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I love both of the safeties. Huge athleticism upgrade. The dline has been sufficient which is probably more than I expected. The Oline is in the same boat. Nealy is one of the best runners we have had here but he obviously needs to hang onto the ball.

I screamed "HOLD ON TO THE BALL" when he left his feet before his second fumble. My friends accused me of jinxing him.

I also completely called the goal line option to the short side of the field. Though I did predict it would be for a 3 yard loss instead of a short gain.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Players who have surprised me in a good way:

Sam Richardson - His play at QB has been solid. He's making the right decisions on his scrambles. His passes are pretty good. It's a product of the line play, but he looks good.

Jake Campos - considering we didn't think he'd be playing right now, I'm very surprised to see how well he's done. He's only going to get better too. He's very good and were lucky to have him. That side of the line is becoming a strength.

Allen Lazard - I expected some good things out of him, but because if injuries, he's one of our best receivers.

Kamari Cotton-Moya and TJ Mutcherson - Not a knock in Syrie, but the difference between he and Cotton-Moya was night and day in the first two games. These two safeties are flying all over the field making plays. Very good to see for as young as they are. So much potential here.

Jevohn Miller - this is a big one. The switch of positions has done him wonders. He went from being out if position on most plays to a playmaker. Strange. Glad he's stepping up.

Robby Garcia - 2 sacks in 3 games. Didn't see that coming. Not much else, but he's played well.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think and expect the running game to finally take off now that we've faced probably the top 3 rush defenses we'll see all year (besides OU)

We went small and attacking on the D-Line against Iowa. I suppose we should beef up and go back to NDSU and KSU style?