Playing time down the stretch

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
This might have already been discussed, but I was out of the country and hadn't been online much since last weekend. Why was Matt sitting on the bench while Naz/Nader/Hogue all played down the stretch? Matt was 3-5 on threes while the rest of the team was 3-18. Naz was 2-9 on threes, and one miss was on our last possession when we needed a three. I understand Naz has hit a couple big shots in his career but Matt was playing better all game. Hogue didn't score all game and only had three rebounds in over 20 minutes.

Not trying to make this into a Thomas vs. everybody situation, just curious as to why Fred stuck with guys like Hogue (scoreless, only 3 rebounds) and Naz (2-9 shooting, 2 TO's) instead of Matt (4-8 shooting, 11 points, 1 TO, 2 rebounds).

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
I had the same question, Matt had kind of a weird end to his season overall. Ever since the Baylor/Texas games where he was really solid his minutes started to dwindle down to the point where he barely even played in the B12 Tourney. Having that happen can't be good for his confidence.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
I had the same question, Matt had kind of a weird end to his season overall. Ever since the Baylor/Texas games where he was really solid his minutes started to dwindle down to the point where he barely even played in the B12 Tourney. Having that happen can't be good for his confidence.
I'm hoping Matt comes into next season ****** off. The minutes at guard next year are going to be strange with Cooke, Burton, Monte, Matt, Naz, and Nader all getting time at the 1-3 spots. Not sure where Williams fits in. We've got so much potential next year if everybody can find a role.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Lets face it, that wasn't Fred's best coached game. He didn't use a time out on a possession late in the game where it appeared nothing was going to develop or open up (Morris ended up taking a desperation shot late in the shot clock). He could have drawn something up for them that had a higher probability than what we got. I'm sure many of us were screaming for a timeout on that one. We are getting killed on the boards and nothing is working in that area. Why not bring something new to the mix? Edozie? And I agree with others in this thread. We were 3 of 18 from 3 without Matt. He was the only one hitting, he should have been in there.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yep, that last game was a bust. Naz was bot shooting that in last few games since he was working so hard on defense. More s ubbing was needed in the end.