PMP Certification

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It seems like we've reached the point where a PMP is desired, if not required, for a lot of IT project management jobs. I've held out for quite a while, but it's probably time to take the leap. Anyone else taken the exam? Recommendations for classes and/or study material?

spelhome

Jan 19, 2012
Woodward, Iowa
It seems like we've reached the point where a PMP is desired, if not required, for a lot of IT project management jobs. I've held out for quite a while, but it's probably time to take the leap. Anyone else taken the exam? Recommendations for classes and/or study material?
I obtained my PMP in 2015. I chose to do it because my company was pushing for it, and would pay for the test (only if you passed it). Having said that, I found it valuable, since I am a fairly unorthodox PM, having "grown up" in the business rather than IT. So the big pic knowledge base it provided me was very valuable to me now that I am in the IT world.I took advantage of two boot camp courses the company offered, and set a schedule for myself for prepping using the PMBOX that lasted about 6 mos pretest date. If your a consultant rather than an employee, check with your contracting organization to see what they offer.

Reactions: cyputz

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I took the two day course that was offered in DM then used the next few months to study a few hours a week. Not going to say I aced the test but it wasn't too bad. The course trainer gave a lot of good advice about what was going to be on the test.

ISUStrEngr

Jan 9, 2009
I'm in the process of getting my certification because my company "asked" me to. I've been doing on line training through SkillSoft. I don't know how much it costs because the training was provided by the company.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Do you learn things or is it just letters behind your name?

I'll learn stuff, but, really, it's about the letters. It's also an easy way to verify that a candidate has a certain amount of experience, and a lazy way to write a job description.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I took the two day course that was offered in DM then used the next few months to study a few hours a week. Not going to say I aced the test but it wasn't too bad. The course trainer gave a lot of good advice about what was going to be on the test.

Thanks! Do you remember who offered the course? I'm reasonably suspicious of everyone that has won the SEO game.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
what does that mean?

Search Engine Optimization. Searching for PMP classes in Iowa returns a lot of online courses with pages optimized specifically for cities or states.

Of course, now I'm finding a lot of local stuff, so maybe it was bad Google on my part. But if @Frak had a good experience, that means a lot more than online ratings.

• Informative
Reactions: spelhome

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Many larger companies are know asking for this in IT, Sales etc. With the right company it is attractive. So much so that they will support achieving it.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
how big of sticklers are they on proving, "Then you must have a minimum of three years (36 months) of unique, non-overlapping professional project management experience of which at least 4,500 hours must have been spent leading and directing project tasks."

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Search Engine Optimization. Searching for PMP classes in Iowa returns a lot of online courses with pages optimized specifically for cities or states.

Of course, now I'm finding a lot of local stuff, so maybe it was bad Google on my part. But if @Frak had a good experience, that means a lot more than online ratings.

I cant remember the organization, but I'd look at the PMI website for something close.

Reactions: Pat

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
how big of sticklers are they on proving, "Then you must have a minimum of three years (36 months) of unique, non-overlapping professional project management experience of which at least 4,500 hours must have been spent leading and directing project tasks."

You'd be surprised what they consider a project. I managed the building of my house and counted that. Our trainer had all kinds of suggestions for that.

Reactions: Gerbs

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's a big con and racket started by some people that is now a big cottage industry with all of the training and then additional training to maintain. Government and industry has bought into it hook line and sinker and are sinking millions and millions into it while the Music Men at PMP.org and their minions profit. But, they are only doing it for their love of project management!

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
I'm taking my test next Thursday and have been studying using the "Andy Crowe" material. Great text book and question database. My coworker passed last week using the same materials.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
You'd be surprised what they consider a project. I managed the building of my house and counted that. Our trainer had all kinds of suggestions for that.

For reporting purposes to achieve the 4500 hours related to your example, did each day spent during the building of your house count as 8 hours regardless of your amount of time spent directly on the build that day?