Poison Ivy

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
I got poison ivy on my legs over the weekend disc golfing. Does anyone have some home remedies that I should try?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Rubbing alcohol helps some people... but you really should get to the store and get some calamine lotion too. Dry it out and keep it from spreading.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
The acid in urine will help to dissolve the oils and break down the sores. You can do it yourself, or have a friend help.

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
There is really no remedy, just itch relief. If you notice it spreading, that means its likely systemic, and at that point don't even try dealing with it, just call the doc and have them get you a parednazone(pardon my spelling) prescription, that'll start killing it within hours. I deal with this stuff a couple times a summer. The only time it spreads is if it's systemic or if you haven't washed the oils off your clothes and you're still spreading them.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006

I've actually had better luck with Technu than Zanfel, but that's just me.

Coming from someone who is deathly (more on that later) allergic to poison ivy the best bet is to go to the doctor and get a prednisolone pack.

If you want to do over the counter expensive stuff your best bet is Technu or Zanfel. If you want to just help with the itch you can do calamine lotion or take oatmeal baths (Actually work really well).

When I was younger my father burned a hillside on our farm that had poison ivy on it, I inhaled some of the smoke and nearly died from an allergic reaction in my esophagus. Let me just say that poison ivy blisters in your throat are not fun. Now if I even look at poison ivy (slight exaggeration) I break out and have to have a steroid IV. Good times when you love the outdoors. I'm pretty damn good at spotting that little ****.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Rubbing alcohol helps some people... but you really should get to the store and get some calamine lotion too. Dry it out and keep it from spreading.

Rubbing Alcohol works but it is the worst thing you could do for your skin with Poison Ivy. It makes it very severely dry and temporarily increases your risk for skin cancer to form. FYI

Also, I have never had poison ivy *knocks on wood*. I even was bet $200 to roll around in it without a shirt and had nothing. I am immune I guess.

SImpsonCy

Dec 27, 2006
Dallas, TX
They say fight fire with fire, so try more poison ivy... I kid I kid. I have had no luck with the home remedies, I would suggest a trip to the dematologist, oral prednisone, a steroid shot and topical steroid too. you don't really spread it from scratching, that is just breaking out later from less exposure. Good luck, happy scratching...