Votes: 9 11.4%
  • 12 + wins

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I voted 9-9 and anything better than is gravy as that gets you into March. Below 9 wins and you are likely in the NIT with our poor non-con resume. This team is SOOOO unproven with no Q1 win as to start conference play..

Discuss!

Reactions: Halincandenza

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I voted 9-9 and anything better than is gravy as that gets you into March. Below 9 wins and you are likely in the NIT with our poor non-con resume. This team is SOOOO unproven with no Q1 win as to start conference play..

Discuss!

I think 8 wins gets you in as long as you have a couple really good wins in there... not just wins against the worst teams in the Big 12.

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
I think 8 wins gets you in as long as you have a couple really good wins in there... not just wins against the worst teams in the Big 12.
Agreed. Too many variables to say X number of wins gets a bid. Who the victories come against matters so much. 7 wins could even do it with 1 or more Big 12 tournament wins.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I just worry that Oklahoma St won 8 last year and was left out. They had 6 Q1 wins and only 1 Q3 loss.

I'd rather not tempt fate and lock in a spot with 9

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
8-10. I just haven’t seen any reason this team will play well against great competition on the road. I also see us dropping 1-2 at home.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I was feeling optimistic in the other thread and said 11-7. Today feeling less so and voted 9-9.

Depends a lot on how good the "bad" teams turn out to be and if they can get a few road wins or not. E.g. Tcu, ucf, cincy, ksu. To win 11, prob have to win 3 or 4 of those. How good/bad are they? Hows the size matchup inside? Idk.

Also injuries. This team is in trouble the wrong guy gets hurt.

Final note- this team is set up to make a tourney run. Seriously guard heavy. Bigs help you grind out a conf regular season, one reason KU always wins that- they always have a quality big or 2. But guards win one-off games in the tourney.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Went with 9-9. Could have gone 10-8.

We know what we are getting from Lipsey, BRE and King.

What we get from Ward, Gilbert and Milan are the big questions.

Pav could be a wildcard.

This could be one of the most exciting conference seasons in quite a while.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
This poll or 1st post needs the schedule, to be easily accessible, for an informed decision.

I'll go with 7-2 @ home and 2-7 on the road, for a 9-9 record.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I still think 10-8. Hasan and BRE being able to get junk buckets raises our floor. A game with yesterday’s shooting would have been in the low 50s or worse the last couple seasons. I think that can keep us from the losses to the lower tier teams.

I think we’ll go 3-6 in the first 9 games and 7-2 in the last.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I tempered my expectations after Orlando, and, it’s just one game on the road against a decent OU team, but I think this year is unfortunately poised for disappointment (at least for me). I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see us making the tourney, we should be able to make the NIT.

Offensively, we still really struggle to score against competent teams. Now in year 3, this has become a pattern unfortunately. I was fine with rock fights the first two years given what TJ was building from, but in year 3 I’d like to see a semblance of offensive basketball (I did appreciate them pushing the pace some yesterday and attempting to score in transition). Especially because we aren’t as strong defensively this year.

I had hopes this year because of the strong recruiting class and in year 3 TJ can make a leap to the next level (5 games over .500 in league, 3 or 4 seed in the tourney). Unfortunately, I don’t see this team making those strides.

We’re seeing the challenges with building a team with high school recruits, this year. Milan has some serious deficiencies in his game right now (defense, physicality, and creating his own shot). Omaha (and for sure the others) look like they’ll be non-contributors.

Reactions: ZRF

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Early in the year I was extremely high on the team and I'm not typically someone who shoots overly high on what I feel is realistic expectations.

Now that we're through the non-con season I have to say, at least visually (during the games), this team appears to be poorly coached and completely rudderless on the floor. While it's possible the players are ignoring instruction, the level to which we routinely double team and compromise our own defense and rotations is baffling. I'm all for doubling when it makes sense but our entire team often picks very poor situations to do so. The double is easily beat and the opposition has a wide open bucket (often a 3) a few quick passes later. This year it's happened over, and over, and over again.

It's also obvious this team (as are most for that matter) isn't talented enough to simply space the floor and run a bunch of weak isolations. Our offensive decision making is slow, we rarely string a succession of quick/smart passes together (ball rotations), and don't move very much without they ball. There's little screening, little in the way of cuts and when they do happen it's almost a one and done. We need to move the ball, move without the ball...drive, kick out, and continue the constant motion. We are very EASY to defend.

Right now, with teams like OU and BYU playing extremely well, this feels like a 9-9 or an 8-10 team. Too many self-inflicted wounds and a palpable lack of direction. Our staff needs to be a LOT better a managing games if this or any future Iowa State team is going to be a factor.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I tempered my expectations after Orlando, and, it’s just one game on the road against a decent OU team, but I think this year is unfortunately poised for disappointment (at least for me). I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see us making the tourney, we should be able to make the NIT.

Offensively, we still really struggle to score against competent teams. Now in year 3, this has become a pattern unfortunately. I was fine with rock fights the first two years given what TJ was building from, but in year 3 I’d like to see a semblance of offensive basketball (I did appreciate them pushing the pace some yesterday and attempting to score in transition). Especially because we aren’t as strong defensively this year.

I had hopes this year because of the strong recruiting class and in year 3 TJ can make a leap to the next level (5 games over .500 in league, 3 or 4 seed in the tourney). Unfortunately, I don’t see this team making those strides.

We’re seeing the challenges with building a team with high school recruits, this year. Milan has some serious deficiencies in his game right now (defense, physicality, and creating his own shot). Omaha (and for sure the others) look like they’ll be non-contributors.

I love the intensity TJ brings, which has obviously been a huge part of his early (and relative) success he's had in a few short years. In year 3 we should be seeing some semblance of an ability to construct and run an offense. We also should see a coach who shows he can adapt and pivot, both during the season and during a particular game. The excessive doubles and unnecessary bodying (bad fouls) has been a staple of his teams the last few years. It's hard to win when you give up wide open, back breaking buckets and have guys in foul trouble from picking up bad/careless fouls. Yet here we are seeing the same issues with different players.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: NENick and Acer88

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Another example of ZRF's limitless basketball acumen. Lol!

"Now that we're through the non-con season I have to say, at least visually (during the games), this team appears to be poorly coached and completely rudderless on the floor. While it's possible the players are ignoring instruction, the level to which we routinely double team and compromise our own defense and rotations is baffling."

CycloneJoe6

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2012
Iowa
Another example of ZRF's limitless basketball acumen. Lol!

"Now that we're through the non-con season I have to say, at least visually (during the games), this team appears to be poorly coached and completely rudderless on the floor. While it's possible the players are ignoring instruction, the level to which we routinely double team and compromise our own defense and rotations is baffling."
I can’t imagine how good we could be if we weren’t poorly coached and completely rudderless on the floor :jimlad:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron