Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Yeah, but the dad was complaining about the Bears in one scene. I'd go Chicago on that one.

Hammond pretty much borders Chicago, so I guess theoretically, you could argue three different towns here. It was filmed in Cleveland, was based on Hammond, which is basically a suburb of Chicago. I guess my only thought on Chicago is that I know two people from Hammond and they definitely do not consider themselves part of or associated with Chicago at all.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Hammond pretty much borders Chicago, so I guess theoretically, you could argue three different towns here. It was filmed in Cleveland, was based on Hammond, which is basically a suburb of Chicago. I guess my only thought on Chicago is that I know two people from Hammond and they definitely do not consider themselves part of or associated with Chicago at all.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Hammond is considered a Chicagoland suburb, along with Whiting, East Chicago and Munster. They are all closer in proximity to downtown than I was growing up in the Chicagoland suburbs. They all still think of themselves and indiana residents, but they are certainly a part of the greater chicagoland metro

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan94

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Hammond is considered a Chicagoland suburb, along with Whiting, East Chicago and Munster. They are all closer in proximity to downtown than I was growing up in the Chicagoland suburbs. They all still think of themselves and indiana residents, but they are certainly a part of the greater chicagoland metro

Yes, as I said, a case can be made for all 3 towns associated with the movie. Nothing actually takes place in Chicago though. Even the downtown scene was a representation of Downtown Hammond and Goldblatt's Dept. store. They just used Higbee's because it was a huge Cleveland icon. So maybe I was wrong to correct Angie on this, the more I think about it, maybe it was a Cleveland movie after all.

I guess I just think about it from my perspective, living in Schaumburg. If the movie were based in Schaumburg and they went shopping and saw Santa at Woodfield Mall, not Marshal Field's on State St. it would be a Schaumburg movie, not Chicago.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yes, as I said, a case can be made for all 3 towns associated with the movie. Nothing actually takes place in Chicago though. Even the downtown scene was a representation of Downtown Hammond and Goldblatt's Dept. store. They just used Higbee's because it was a huge Cleveland icon. So maybe I was wrong to correct Angie on this, the more I think about it, maybe it was a Cleveland movie after all.

I guess I just think about it from my perspective, living in Schaumburg. If the movie were based in Schaumburg and they went shopping and saw Santa at Woodfield Mall, not Marshal Field's on State St. it would be a Schaumburg movie, not Chicago.
I guess I always was under the impression as a kid that they were in Chicago for that Higbee's/santa scene, and never thought anything of it. But I guess it makes more sense that it would be in downtown hammond if they're saying the line for santa stretched all the way to Terry haute. Wow, learned something new about something i've known for over 20 years today.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not to be that guy, but see my post above. Cleveland was the street they lived on the city was actually in Indiana. Fictional city, but based on Hammond, Indiana.

Still love that movie, the scene with the Christmas Parade and the downtown was great 1950s stuff. Pretty silly movie, but that part was really good.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
78955357_818737568574151_8393231863006625792_o.jpg