Poll: If you were an AP voter...

If you were an AP voter, would you put UCF as #1 in your final submission?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Would you put UCF as the number 1 team on your final submission regardless of the playoff winner?

If yes, what would your reasoning be?

If no, where would you put them?

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I put them in Top 5, for sure. #1 should always go to the National Champ.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Would you put UCF as the number 1 team on your final submission regardless of the playoff winner?

If yes, what would your reasoning be?

If no, where would you put them?

I'd give them something for beating Auburn - putting them in the top 5 would be reasonable. But #1? No. That's putting too much stock in a one-off. Sucks for them. Expand the playoff to give a really good G5 team like that a fair shake and the problem is solved.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I think I might, just to be an ass to the SEC, but either way, it’s proof that something else has to be done to not shut the non P5 teams out.

It is tough too, they don’t play the schedules the P5s play, but it’s also not their fault. We have to do away with the haves and have nots somehow. I don’t have that solution now, but maybe expanding to 8 helps

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Yes, I would vote them #1, but my motives are more for expanding the playoff than rewarding UCF. To see that the championship game is being played by teams with 1-loss and that there is an undefeated team that wasn't even in the conversation of making the playoff is more proof that the committees process is flawed.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Yes, I would vote them #1, but my motives are more for expanding the playoff than rewarding UCF. To see that the championship game is being played by teams with 1-loss and that there is an undefeated team that wasn't even in the conversation of making the playoff is more proof that the committees process is flawed.

I understand this, but is a no-lose team playing lesser teams better than a 1-loss team playing more difficult opponents?

This is hyperbole, of course, but the Iowa State basketball team might not do well in the Big 12 but I bet they'd do pretty well in the Southland Conference. Is a 27-3 Southland ISU team better than a 21-9 Big 12 ISU team (and yes, ha-ha, this is for illustrative purposes only)

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
If I were an AP voter I'd vote for who I consider to be the best team at #1. I don't believe it's UCF right now. However, as Scott Frost said post-game Auburn beat Bama and Georgia so a close UGA/Bama game should give one pause.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think I might, just to be an ass to the SEC, but either way, it’s proof that something else has to be done to not shut the non P5 teams out.

It is tough too, they don’t play the schedules the P5s play, but it’s also not their fault. We have to do away with the haves and have nots somehow. I don’t have that solution now, but maybe expanding to 8 helps

It might. The tricky part would be how to allocate those bids. Would there be an auto bid for each P5 conference champion, one auto bid for a G5 program, and two wild cards or at-large or whatever you want to call it? I wouldn;t go as far as giving an auto bid to a G5 school, if only because there isn't a juggernaut like UCF every year. Just because they were great this year doesn't mean the committee should be forced to take a two loss Houston team or something like that in an expanded field.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I understand this, but is a no-lose team playing lesser teams better than a 1-loss team playing more difficult opponents?

This is hyperbole, of course, but the Iowa State basketball team might not do well in the Big 12 but I bet they'd do pretty well in the Southland Conference. Is a 27-3 Southland ISU team better than a 21-9 Big 12 ISU team (and yes, ha-ha, this is for illustrative purposes only)

If I'm an AP voter I don't care about how it gets done, I just want to see more games and a more competitive playoff. If I'm an AP voter specifically from the midwest, I'm ticked that the Big 10 didn't get a team in after this years bowl performance. I don't even think UCF would have made it in a 6-team playoff (maybe if it was an 8-team playoff) but they would be the focus of multiple opinion articles I would write this upcoming Summer to bash the playoff selection committee until the field is expanded.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I’d probably put Georgia #1 if they win but I can’t put Alabama #1. UCF just beat the team that beat Alabama and Alabama hasn’t really beaten anyone either.

Personally I think Georgia and Oklahoma are the top 2 teams in the country. Clemson wasn’t that good and Alabama while good just coasted through the year.

• Agree
Reactions: tim_redd

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Around 5th. All 4 playoff teams stay ahead of them in my world. Maybe even 6th behind tOSU (puke).

I would vote them that high only as an 'attaboy' for going undefeated. Realistically, they're probably around 10-12 range.

Beating Auburn in a game that Auburn didn't want to be in does not impress me.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

But the whole point is to shut out the non P5’s. Rich get richer.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
They probably would get more credit if the hurricane had not canceled the Georgia Tech game even though Georgia Tech sucked and several of the teams they beat are way better. They did beat the team that beat both teams in the NC. They certainly are ranked way too low.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
No, any top-half P5 team would be favored in every one of these games with maybe the exception of South Florida and Memphis. And those would be close to a pick 'em. Auburn win was impressive but season as a whole isn't enough.

The G5 teams are now 3-1 in New Year's Day bowl games against the better teams from superior conferences. How many games do the top teams from those conferences need to win before people recognize that the top team from these conferences deserve a shot at the playoffs, especially when undefeated? TCU and Boise State both have gone undefeated recently outside the P5 and easily could have competed for a championship if allowed into a playoff during their respective seasons. Honestly, I don't see how you can continue to shut the door on these teams without some significant legal ramifications. You shouldn't have these teams be in the same NCAA division if they are all but guaranteed to not have a shot at winning the playoff championship of their division. Either give them a shot or put it in writing that they are now in a separate division.

Consider the following: http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6479279

How has the playoffs changed anything but continue to lock out non-power conference teams? It's important to note there were 6 power conferences in the BCS. There are only 5 conferences with a realistic shot at the playoffs (chance at an extra game).

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math