Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Sadly that's probably true about cross country. Has anybody but family or friends ever gone to a cross country tournament? I'm all for dropping cc and putting the money toward wrestling, football or basketball.

Might as well cut golf, swimming, tennis, softball while you're at it. We should be a university of all football and basketball to many of you. Ridiculous

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sadly that's probably true about cross country. Has anybody but family or friends ever gone to a cross country tournament? I'm all for dropping cc and putting the money toward wrestling, football or basketball.

have most gone to wrestling either? probably not.

At least the big 12 has cross country all-around unlike wrestling.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
have most gone to wrestling either? probably not.

At least the big 12 has cross country all-around unlike wrestling.

Are you really comparing wrestling attendance to cross country "attendance?" There are 100 fans at a wrestling meet per one fan at a cross country meet. Cross country is probably free to "attend" as well. Night and day.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Are you really comparing wrestling attendance to cross country "attendance?" There are 100 fans at a wrestling meet per one fan at a cross country meet. Cross country is probably free to "attend" as well. Night and day.

Where did I say anything about attendance? I was mentioning conference participation in the sport.

If i were to prioritize funding for sports at ISU, id put it:
1. FB
2. MBB
3. WBB
4. VB
5. Wrestling

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I like most sports, and maybe be have to carry so many under big 12 conference requirements. But there are only a few that myself and 99% of other fans will pay to see at the collegiate level. With budgets so tight, we may have to drop those that don't generate any fan interest, subject to whatever NCAA and Big 12 requirements there are.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
If i were to prioritize funding for sports at ISU, id put it:
1. FB
2. MBB
3. WBB
4. VB
5. Wrestling
Looks good, if not conventional. With the new Big 12, it is hard to put wrestling ahead of VB.

The question is how big of gap to put between programs. What does ISU's movement in the Director's Cup despite lack of success in MBB and FB and relative revenue growth suggest?

Nov 9, 2009
Ames
Might as well cut golf, swimming, tennis, softball while you're at it. We should be a university of all football and basketball to many of you. Ridiculous

It does sound a bit ridiculous. But seriously, what is the incentive to keeping non-revenue sports like the ones you mentioned? Not saying I'm in favor of cutting such programs, just looking for an explanation.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It does sound a bit ridiculous. But seriously, what is the incentive to keeping non-revenue sports like the ones you mentioned? Not saying I'm in favor of cutting such programs, just looking for an explanation.

Because we're a university with an athletic department, not a professional sports franchise. Something a lot of people seem to totally miss.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York

Ridiculous is just wanting an AD that's just 2 sports. I find it sad we have only 16 sports on campus. Many other schools are up near 20-25 sports. Yes times are tough but cutting our already small AD isn't what needs to happen. I'm pretty sure we barely manage making the big 12 criteria for sports now. Those lesser known sports might need to trim some fat in the future but not at the expense to have one or two sports live lavishly.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ridiculous is just wanting an AD that's just 2 sports. I find it sad we have only 16 sports on campus. Many other schools are up near 20-25 sports. Yes times are tough but cutting our already small AD isn't what needs to happen. I'm pretty sure we barely manage making the big 12 criteria for sports now. Those lesser known sports might need to trim some fat in the future but not at the expense to have one or two sports live lavishly.

We're hardly out of line for the big 12, especially when you take out the big money of OU\UT\TAMU and compare to others on closer to our budget.

From some quick wikipedia research..
KSU- 14
Mizzou- 18
Kansas- 16
ISU- 16
OSU- 16
TTU- 15
Baylor- 16
Texas- 18
TAMU- 18
OU- 19

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
That simply is not reality. You do know why MBB and FB make so much more money than those other sports? Becuase of the people that care about college sports, an overwhelming majority are "just wanting (as measured by $) an AD that's just 2 sports". Many other schools are "up near 20-25" (not true) sports because their fans want those two sports more than ISU fans do.

Cutting the non-revenue sports (at least relative funding, if not programs) isn't what needs to happen? What do you suggest?
Investing more in football (and to a much lesser extent basketball) at the expense of non-revenue sports is the only option.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Isn't Iowa State at the NCAA Division 1 minimum for sports?

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently not from the post above.

Its 14.

Division I member institutions have to sponsor at least seven sports for men and seven for women (or six for men and eight for women) with two team sports for each gender

However, from this it looks like we're at the minimum number of mens sports.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Where did I say anything about attendance? I was mentioning conference participation in the sport.

You replied to a post talking about who goes to a cross country meet with a who goes to a wrestling meet reply.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Thanks for that info alarson. I guess living out here on the east coast this year has skewed my view a bit when it comes to number of teams for each school. I would still love to see all of our budgets grow but not at the expense of any other program on campus. We're making headway in the dept. We, as fans, need to continue to do our part (or more). We will get things done at isu. We need to keep those important pieces in place now that we have them.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
We're hardly out of line for the big 12, especially when you take out the big money of OU\UT\TAMU and compare to others on closer to our budget.

From some quick wikipedia research..
KSU- 14
Mizzou- 18
Kansas- 16
ISU- 16
OSU- 16
TTU- 15
Baylor- 16
Texas- 18
TAMU- 18
OU- 19

I'm kind of suprised that Texas is at only 18. You'd think with their budget they'd have more Olympic sports.